Proposal

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Suture Self
2709 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Proposal

Post by Suture Self »

Look, let's make up and kiss, okay? I'm ready. It's time. :-*

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

FarCryss wrote:Yes, I've made several posts about 12 Years A Slave in the 12 Years A Slave thread, most of which you guys ignored, in favor of having a conversation that I was also willing to have - this is where the bulk of my posts are. The other threads I've posted in also dealt with movies. I recommended Bronson (and then made sure to note Tom Hardy fucks dudes) and then made a comic post about Pink Narcissus. I recall laughing at Stewball's obsession with Miley Cyrus, which might be the only non-movie related thread I've been in other than this one.

Well, let's see here. You have 105 total posts, of which a whopping 41 have been in that "12 Years a Slave" topic. I consider that slightly more than "several", but then again, you're the same guy who argued 150 years was "just two generations".

What about your other 64 posts? Well, 8 have come in this topic, also unrelated to movies.

You resurrected a week-old topic just to stir up forum drama with and insult me, while avoiding any discussion of movies. That's another 2 off-topic posts.

In this topic, you don't specifically talk about movies, but neither are you arguing about off-topic subjects. I will be charitable and say those are 2 posts related (tangentially) to movies.

In this topic, your first two posts were genuinely about the film in the subject title. Props. Your third one was calling out Stewie, but was tangentially related to movies. Unfortunately, your fourth post was this forum's own version of Godwin's Law (credit to Spunkie for that!), essentially calling all conservatives stupid. The fifth post was (surprisingly) movie-related, posts 6-7 were not, 8 was, and then posts 9-10 were not again, with your last one stating you were leaving the forum forever. (How dramatic!) So 5 on-topic posts and 5 off-topic ones.

In this topic, you're just blatantly starting shit with Stewie for no real reason in both posts.

I could go on, but I hope the point is clear. Of the 65 FarCryss posts I have looked at, 58 were off-topic arguments, insults, and political rants. 7 were actually about movies.

It's not quite as bad as the ratio I suspected (over 10), but it's still over 8, and way, way over 1.

FarCryss wrote:I've gotten in arguments because this forum is dead as hell and I wanted to start some conversation. It worked, and honestly, I don't have any regrets. You particularly flocked straight to me like a magnet. It was cute. Glad I could offer this place some excitement.

Ah, so that's your defense? Well, I don't mind arguments myself, but it would be preferable if they were about movies, not politics, considering the nature of the site...

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

Ok, I guess we're not gonna make up and kiss. :(

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

I was talking about leaving the forums for the night, not forever.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

FarCryss wrote:Ok, I guess we're not gonna make up and kiss. :(

For a guy who loves calling other people out, resurrecting months-old topics in the Movie-Specific subforum for that sole purpose, (since deleted) you sure like to "kiss and make up" awfully soon afterwards, huh? :)

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

That was quite thorough, well done. Should I be burned at the stake, or...?

can we kiss instead?

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

ShogunRua wrote:
FarCryss wrote:Ok, I guess we're not gonna make up and kiss. :(

For a guy who loves calling other people out, resurrecting months-old topics in the Movie-Specific subforum for that sole purpose, (since deleted) you sure like to "kiss and make up" awfully soon afterwards, huh? :)

I just don't care as much as you seem to care, is all. I've been laughing at a lot of this, for better or worse.

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

And dude, the Miley Cyrus thread, c'mon, cut me some slack. He's like some 70 year old conservative guy from Arizona mackin' on Miley Cyrus' ass. Sarcasm about this is completely warranted, or are we not allowed to have personalities here? I can't be a robot like DJRoss

djross
5331 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexDourm
2458 Ratings

Post by AlexDourm »

djross wrote:In the light of my observations of the character and tone of some of the forum discussions on the Criticker website over a considerable period of time, I have been drawn to reflect on the quality of discussion found therein, and to consider what remedies might be forthcoming for the inadequacies that, it seems to me, have become apparent. I do not here wish to engage in discussion about what I consider those inadequacies to be (even though I suspect that avoiding doing so will lead some users to feel that this is to avoid the central issue itself), because I believe that to do so would in all likelihood only have inflammatory consequences.

The conclusion I have reached is that the following should be taken as a general principle of understanding, which I submit for the general consideration of the Criticker community: it is undesirable for a user to have a ratio of forum posts to films ranked greater than one.

My suggested remedy is for those not in this undesirable position to refrain from engagement in these forums with those who are in this position, until such time as the situation of the latter changes to the point that the aforementioned ratio has decreased to the point of no longer being above one.

I of course understand that it is inevitable that not all Criticker users will agree that there is a problem with these forums, that not all users will agree with my proposed general principle of understanding, and that not all Criticker users will agree that my proposed remedy is likely to ameliorate any problems they themselves consider to afflict these forums. My hope is nevertheless that there will be sufficient users who agree that there is a problem, and who are willing to try out the proposed remedy, that proposing it will not have been in vain. I also understand that deciding not to reply when one feels one has been provoked to do so is at times difficult. I am calling on Criticker users to exercise the will required to make such decisions, for the good of all.

On the other hand, if users disagree with any or all of the above, I of course respect their collective judgment, even though it is my belief that this will probably result in the continuation of what I consider an unsatisfactory status quo. It goes without saying that any individual user, such as myself, always has the option of unilaterally withdrawing from discussion here, but my motive in this post is to reflect on the possibilities for what I hope would be, both for myself personally and for the website, a more fruitful outcome than that.

Thanks for your attention.

"Ignoring people with more posts than films ranked will improve the forums". Maybe I'm dumb, cause I don't see the connection. This post just makes the claim and offers no supporting arguments or explanation. What will improve and why will it improve? Again, maybe I'm dumb but this is a leap in logic to me at the moment. I think it would help if there was at least a single argument offered.