Upcoming Nicolas Winding Refn film

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Re: Upcoming Nicolas Winding Refn film

Post by MmzHrrdb »

TheDenizen wrote:Nah, it's cool. It's just a more thorough plot outline, it doesn't really give anything away. Besides, I'm not obsessed about not seeing spoilers like some people.

That's good. Sounds very promising at least. I also found this on that website, and it might be right up your alley (http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/screenwriter-etan-cohen-to-make-directorial-on-boy-scouts-vs-zombies :evil:

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

hehehe. I do like me some zombies, but the recent trend for sticking zombies into seemingly everything is getting a little annoying. As a huge fan of the original wave of zombie flicks in the late 70s and throughout the 80s, I find an awful lot of the recent explosion of zombie films are pretty lacking.

I'll probably end up checking that one out, though.... thanks. The possibility of seeing kids getting butchered is too tasty to pass up.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

TheDenizen wrote:hehehe. I do like me some zombies, but the recent trend for sticking zombies into seemingly everything is getting a little annoying. As a huge fan of the original wave of zombie flicks in the late 70s and throughout the 80s, I find an awful lot of the recent explosion of zombie films are pretty lacking.

I'll probably end up checking that one out, though.... thanks. The possibility of seeing kids getting butchered is too tasty to pass up.

Yeah who knows what they will do with it. The name itself does imply some kid gore I guess, but they could probably easily make it really bad. Best case scenario it might end up like Zombieland.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

I'd actually prefer "really bad" to "formulaic and boring" which is what a lot of zombie movies have become. At least if it's really bad I can goof on it. :D

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

Enjoying talking to yourself Denizen? Haha. I deleted my dougied89 account and made this one, but I had no idea it would delete all of my posts. Anyways, as you are one of Criticker's resident horror buffs, I wanted your opinion on this:

It is directed by Don Coscarelli (of Phantasm fame, and even stars the Tall Man from those films). Apparently is is based off of a book written online (and apparently was kind of big on the internet, but I've never heard of it), and now published, by the editor of Cracked.com and sounds like a mix of black comedy and horror. Personally, I think the film looks weird/creepy, but also intriguing. What intrigues me most though is that Paul Giammati is a producer and also stars in it (I'm a pretty big fan of him, I think he's one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood). He seems to make some good choices on roles (except for maybe some aberrations like Big Fat Liar), so the fact that he has made such a commitment to the film makes me want to see it more.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

3dRevelation wrote:Enjoying talking to yourself Denizen? Haha.

I was so confused when I started looking through this topic. :P

I'll check out that embedded vid from home, it's being blocked by my workplace firewall at the moment....though I have to say, I've never been overly impressed with Coscarelli's stuff. Phantasm was pretty good, even though it made little sense...the rest of his stuff I've seen has been pretty middle of the road. Hopefully that vid impresses me :)

Giamatti being involved in a low rent horror flick is intriguing tho.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

lol, OK that looks like it's worth seeing :)

Glynn Turman and Clancy Brown....sold.

I hope it's funnier than Bubba Ho-Tep, though....everyone I know loved that flick except me.

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

TheDenizen wrote:I hope it's funnier than Bubba Ho-Tep, though....everyone I know loved that flick except me.

I haven't seen it and don't really plan to see any of Coscarelli's other films. If I didn't know that Coscarelli was the director and I saw the trailer, I probably would have thought it was being directed by Richard Kelly. It seems original at least, but I do sense a kind of potential for it turning into a mess (although that doesn't necessarily make it bad, Richard Kelly's Southland Tales was a mess, but I'd call it decent). Reviews out of Sundance seemed positive, and it showed at SXSW also. The consensus seems to be somewhere around a 7/10. I don't expect it to be amazing, but from what I've seen it looks interesting at least. The reviews also say that the leads, who are unknowns, do good jobs. There seems to be some complaints about the pace of the film, but from what I've read the film wasn't entirely edited when it was shown at Sundance. It doesn't have a distribution yet though, so I have no idea if it will end up in theaters or straight to DVD or anything.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

thanks for the info hoss.

djross
5327 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.