"Undisputed" (2002)

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"Undisputed" (2002)

Post by Stewball »

Poor man's Shawshank Redemption, only better. Walter Hill's masterpiece. Great story starring Wesley Snipes, Ving Rhames, and featuring Peter Faulk in his best role ever. Superb casting in secondary roles. Sample scenes: The irony of prisoners singing a rap version of Star Spangled before the fight; Faulk's tirade/f-bombs soliloquy, Snipes' declining "assistance". Greatly underrated, for one reason, because many have never even heard of it.

Not to be confused with the Undisputed II (2007) and Undisputed III (2010) pieces of crap.

My wife, one of the gentlest souls to ever walk the Earth, loved this film too.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: "Undisputed" (2002)

Post by ShogunRua »

I remember watching this in the summer of 2011 with my now ex-girlfriend, largely on the strength of Stewie's ebullient praise, and both of us wondering what the hell in this film rises to the level of "good", nevermind great.

Here was my mini-review from then; (I rated it a 47, Tier 4)

Peter Falk plays the silliest and most laughable "menacing old Jewish gangster" imaginable. It would be like Bugs Bunny being a hitman. The boxing scenes are meh; the sound effects are too loud and don't match the actual blows, but none of the punches look lame or uncoordinated. The other scenes are drab and the rap music blows. Snipes was horrible and boring, but Ving Rhames really carried the entire film; he was believable, sympathetic, and even entertaining in his behavior and plight.

When Ving Rhames playing a one-dimensional character is the highlight of your picture, that's a problem.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Well, why don't you just rain on my parade one time. Image Can't understand how anybody could get to where they'd be so completely wrong. I mean, it isn't like you're not very right about other subjects at times. It's a conundrum and I'm flummoxed....yes very flummoxed, bewildered or perplexed. At least my affliction has a cure. :roll:

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Stewball wrote:At least my affliction has a cure. :roll:

Whiskey? Vodka? Watching Undisputed (2002) another time?

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ShogunRua wrote:
Stewball wrote:At least my affliction has a cure. :roll:

Whiskey? Vodka? Watching Undisputed (2002) another time?

Personally, I don't believe Truth comes in a bottle and it didn't factor into my comments.

And I make allowances for subjective Truth. That said, the most inscrutable adage of all time is, "In Vino Est Veritas"--meaning as we imbibe, the Truth will out.