2013 Awards

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: 2013 Awards

Post by Stewball »

kgbelliveau wrote:Gravity just isn't the best picture of the year. Phenomenal cinematography but that is where it stops. Argo was an all around better picture than Gravity was.

I agree that the most you can say about Gravity is the F/X. The last 20-30 minutes of Argo was a joke.

ShogunRua wrote:Huh? What are you talking about? What did Clooney have to do with Argo?!

Clooney and Affleck were producers, and every time they were out promoting its Oscar politics, including when they accepted the Oscar, Clooney did all the talking while Affleck at least had the decency to look embarrassed, including when he accepted the GG for directing it.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Stewball wrote:
Clooney and Affleck were producers, and every time they were out promoting its Oscar politics, including when they accepted the Oscar, Clooney did all the talking while Affleck at least had the decency to look embarrassed, including when he accepted the GG for directing it.

I see. Clooney was the producer. Any particular reason why you believe he has such a ridiculous amount of power that the mere fact that he produced a picture means it will win an Oscar?

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

movieboy wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:I see. Clooney was the producer. Any particular reason why you believe he has such a ridiculous amount of power that the mere fact that he produced a picture means it will win an Oscar?

Because Clooney has declared that Hollywood is his town. And he made it stick with Argo. And he should come out. In 2013, the Oscars were forced to declare Argo as the best picture against their wishes by Clooney. The fiasco ending of Argo was overlooked by the Oscars because of the Clooney Argonaut, er Juggernaut behind the scenes. Choosing Life of Pi as the best picture was their act of defiance against this because as everyone knows Best Picture and Best Director are inseparable. Didn't you see Affleck (whose mentor is Clooney) during the ceremonies? He (to his credit) looked more and more embarrassed by the machine at work on his behalf; while Clooney and his smirk basked in the spotlight, garnering the awards for the performance of his Hollywood muscle. And the Clooney machine is alive and well and in high gear this year. They will ram Gravity through in a demonstration of clout over substance. And Clooney, he so powerful, he made Jodie Foster do Elysium as a penance for doing The Brave One. Jodie Foster is so bad in Elysium that it was obvious her mind wasn't in it.

Thank you for such a comprehensive and detailed explanation! The extent to which you have absorbed Stewball's teachings is impressive.

kgbelliveau
1573 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

movieboy wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:I see. Clooney was the producer. Any particular reason why you believe he has such a ridiculous amount of power that the mere fact that he produced a picture means it will win an Oscar?

Because Clooney has declared that Hollywood is his town. And he made it stick with Argo. And he should come out. In 2013, the Oscars were forced to declare Argo as the best picture against their wishes by Clooney. The fiasco ending of Argo was overlooked by the Oscars because of the Clooney Argonaut, er Juggernaut behind the scenes. Choosing Life of Pi as the best picture was their act of defiance against this because as everyone knows Best Picture and Best Director are inseparable. Didn't you see Affleck (whose mentor is Clooney) during the ceremonies? He (to his credit) looked more and more embarrassed by the machine at work on his behalf; while Clooney and his smirk basked in the spotlight, garnering the awards for the performance of his Hollywood muscle. And the Clooney machine is alive and well and in high gear this year. They will ram Gravity through in a demonstration of clout over substance. And Clooney, he so powerful, he made Jodie Foster do Elysium as a penance for doing The Brave One. Jodie Foster is so bad in Elysium that it was obvious her mind wasn't in it.

That's probably the most misinformed rant I have ever read.Affleck was snubbed for best director so your argument is invalid. If I remember correctly, Affleck looked pretty happy to accept the best picture award at the end of the night. Clooney had absolutely no say on either The Brave One or Elysium. You may want to check your facts next time. Clooney does not have that much influence over Hollywood, plus the machine would not have been at work during the ceremony itself as the Academy Awards voting process is done in advance and sealed in an envelope until the ceremony itself. How was choosing Life of Pi as best picture their act of defiance when Life of Pi didn't win best picture? Explain your logic please.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

movieboy wrote:

I couldn't have said it better myself. I especially liked he Argonaut/Juggernaut bit. I didn't know about Foster and Elysium, though it fits perfectly. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when Neil Jordan was talking her into doing The Brave One. Duuhhh, well OK. The real irony is that it was an excellent performance, probably because her heart was in it, even though she didn't know it. Did you know the tagline and her anguished pose they're using now, "How many wrongs to make it right", wasn't there originally? Clooney was probably responsible for that too. 8-)
ImageImageImageImageImage

And pay no attention to Shogun; he lashes out when faced with an undeniable Truth but is unable to admit his error.
Last edited by Stewball on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

kgbelliveau wrote: How was choosing Life of Pi as best picture their act of defiance when Life of Pi didn't win best picture? Explain your logic please.

I'm sure it's a typo and meant to say it was chosen for best director, which was what happened, and makes sense with the rest of what he wrote--which would be obvious to anyone who gave a split second thought instead of looking for an excuse to pounce.

kgbelliveau
1573 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

Stewball wrote:
kgbelliveau wrote: How was choosing Life of Pi as best picture their act of defiance when Life of Pi didn't win best picture? Explain your logic please.

I'm sure it's a typo and meant to say it was chosen for best director, which was what happened, and makes sense with the rest of what he wrote--which would be obvious to anyone who gave a split second thought instead of looking for an excuse to pounce.

I don't understand how even that would be an act of defiance when Affleck was left of the Ballot. I'm also stumped as to why all this George Clooney Elysium and The Brave One talk is even being mentioned seriously.It's at best a hack theory that makes absolutely no sense in the world.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

kgbelliveau wrote:I don't understand how even that would be an act of defiance when Affleck was left of the Ballot. I'm also stumped as to why all this George Clooney Elysium and The Brave One talk is even being mentioned seriously.It's at best a hack theory that makes absolutely no sense in the world.

All I can say is that Clooney's power isn't perfect, which is implied by the snub. The Oscar nominations come in after the Golden Globe awards are presented, for which Argo was nominated and won both best drama and director. I can see their thought process, "OK we'll keep him happy and nominate it for best pic but surely it won't win up against Life of Pi and Zero Dark Thirty. But you really knew the fix was in when Michele Obama opened the envelope. What a crock!

Everyone should know for sure if Gravity wins anything but best special effects for this year (and maybe Bullock) since Clooney graced us with his presence in it, and is nominated for directing it. Hmmm, the tug-fo-war could go the other way this year with him winning best director but something else winning best pic.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

I can only say that this Cloonspiracy is misinformed for one main reason, an intelligent leader of a conspiracy does not do so openly. Any overarching control of Hollywood awards may be acted out by public pawns but it is the invisible hands of Hollywood's secret rulers that move the chess pieces around. Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure that all the major players in Hollywood are vampires being moved around by the Council of Blood. But that is probably a topic for another thread.

kgbelliveau
1573 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

Stewball wrote:
kgbelliveau wrote:I don't understand how even that would be an act of defiance when Affleck was left of the Ballot. I'm also stumped as to why all this George Clooney Elysium and The Brave One talk is even being mentioned seriously.It's at best a hack theory that makes absolutely no sense in the world.

All I can say is that Clooney's power isn't perfect, which is implied by the snub. The Oscar nominations come in after the Golden Globe awards are presented, for which Argo was nominated and won both best drama and director. I can see their thought process, "OK we'll keep him happy and nominate it for best pic but surely it won't win up against Life of Pi and Zero Dark Thirty. But you really knew the fix was in when Michele Obama opened the envelope. What a crock!

Everyone should know for sure if Gravity wins anything but best special effects for this year (and maybe Bullock) since Clooney graced us with his presence in it, and is nominated for directing it. Hmmm, the tug-fo-war could go the other way this year with him winning best director but something else winning best pic.

Do yourself a favor and do a Google search. Clooney did not direct Gravity. Alfonso Cuaron did.