Upcoming 2014 movies

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Upcoming 2014 movies

Post by Stewball »

FarCryss wrote:2014 will be great, like 2013 was, like 2012 was, etc, etc. Every year is great for movies. It generally takes a few months before the list of releases opens up and we know what we're working with. With that in mind, here's a fairly comprehensive list by indiewire: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... eaderPanel

Thanks for putting that up.

waqar
1474 Ratings

Post by waqar »

http://worldenow.com/2014/02/anticipated-films-2014/
Pretty much looking forward to most of these. Should be a good year

Neonman
2873 Ratings

Post by Neonman »

Nymphomaniac- film I'm most eagerly awaiting, for the obvious reasons.
The Lego Movie- everyone's raving about it, and judging from the trailer it looks like fun.
Wolf Creek 2- almost slipped right under my radar, hope it's as good and horrific as the first.
The Dance of Reality- don't know when I'm gonna be able to watch this one, but I'm excited as hell for Jodorowsky's first film since before I was born.
Godzilla- trailers make it look very promising.
Transcendence- I was let down by the trailer (despite the very exciting teaser trailers), but I'm still hoping for the best.
Interstellar- I'm a Nolan fan-boy, so I can't wait to check this out in IMAX (despite the lacklustre teaser trailer).
Gone Girl- I'm looking forward to whatever film Fincher makes next.
Inherent Vice- good to see PTA making films on a more regular basis again.
Untitled Zack Hill Project- ???

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

I quite enjoyed Submarine (2010) so I'm looking forward to Ayoade's new film The Double -That it's based on a Dostoevsky story and the trailers have an ace soundtracks helps too.

There are a few here that look interesting:

Polanski doing Venus in Furs
Untitled Malick project
Grand Piano
White Bird In A Blizzard - Greg Araki

LEAVES
1225 Ratings

Post by LEAVES »

For my own reference, more than anything:

A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence - Roy Andersson
Hard to Be a God - Aleksei German (RIP)
Francofonia: Le Louvre Under German Occupation - Aleksandr Sokurov
Goltzius and the Pelican Company - Peter Greenaway
Eisenstein in Guanajuato - Peter Greenaway
The Assassin - Hou Hsiao-Hsien
Eden - Mia Hansen-Love
Listen Up Philip - Alex Ross Perry
Grand Budapest Hotel - Wes Anderson
The Double - Richard Ayoade
Inherent Vice - Paul Thomas Anderson
The Interview - Lizzy Caplan

Neonman
2873 Ratings

Post by Neonman »

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

I can't list all the films that I think legitimately look good now. I just tried, and had to delete eight paragraphs talking about each film that I might, possibly, be interested in.

I will say that the one film I'm looking forward to the most is the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. I'm a huge fan of Marvel comics, and Guardians is one of my favorite comics. I hope they capture the tone and comedy of the comic, and I think the CGI work looks pretty solid, but the production stills I've seen are less than inspiring. Still, I've seen the trailer a few times (though it's not been officially released) and I think they're on the right track. James Gunn, though. That makes me worried. The guy that did Slither, and wrote Tromeo and Juliet. I have mixed feelings about his involvement. You pretentious assholes can shove your boring movies up your ass and suck on the barrel of a shotgun for a while. Yes, I want to see Interstellar. Yes, I'm interested in the new Wes Anderson film coming out. But Guardians I'll see in theaters. And Expendables III, too. And probably the new Planet of the Apes film. And obviously the Hobbit.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

As improbable as it is, there are two films based on the life of Frank Sidebottom out this year:

Frank (2014) Clearly a passion project for the brilliant Jon Ronson

and a kickstarter-funded project

Looking forward to both of these.

Edit:
martryn wrote:I will say that the one film I'm looking forward to the most is the Guardians of the Galaxy movie....

Just caught the trailer and this looks fun, never heard of the comic, would it be best to read it first?
Last edited by Ag0stoMesmer on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

First, the most likely worst movie of the year is Blended with Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler. Just saw the preview...awful from one end to the other. A worthy successor to her last bust, Big Miracle.

Besides the given, Interstellar:

I assume that Clint Eastwood's version of the popular musical, Jersey Boys, is going to make its scheduled 20 June release. There isn't even a poster yet.

I've been waiting a long time for Jupiter Ascending. We'll see.

I'm excited about Magic in the Moonlight, mainly because of the stars, Emma Stone, and Colin Firth, not Woody Allen. But it's not even scheduled for a US release yet.

Into the Woods looks interesting, opening Christmas. Meryl Streep is a witch who teaches life lessons to various story book characters: Anna Kendrick, Johnny Depp, Chris Pine, Emily Blunt.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

waqar wrote:http://worldenow.com/2014/02/anticipated-films-2014/
Pretty much looking forward to most of these. Should be a good year

Good grief. Real fodder for the old "cinema is dead" crowd if ever I've seen it.

Anyway, using what limited information there is available about 2014 releases (and going by the US calendar), here are a few that stood out as sounding interesting, although there are no doubt many more titles that have slipped under my radar for the time being:

The Wind Rises (Hayao Miyazaki)
Jodorowsky's Dune (Frank Pavich)
The Grand Budapest Hotel (Wes Anderson)
Pompeii (Paul W.S. Anderson)
Resident Evil 6 (Paul W.S. Anderson)
Ernest & Celestine (Aubier / Patar / Renner)
Anita (Freida Lee Mock)
The Double (Richard Ayoade)
The Dance of Reality (Alejandro Jodorowsky)
The Sacrament (Ti West)
The Assassin (Hou Hsiao-Hsien)
Eden (Mia Hansen-Love)

Would also love to see Godard's newest film, Goodbye to Language 3D, but so far as I can tell there is no given release date for it anywhere (correct me if I'm mistaken!).