Can someone tell me what the best movie of the 80's is?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Jerky
6163 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Can someone tell me what the best movie of the 80's is?

Post by Jerky »

Seriously...maybe because it's the generation that's nearest and dearest to my heart, but I can't for the life of me decide what the best movie is from this decade. Somedays it's Raging Bull, others it's Platoon....and when I'm feeling whimsical it's The Princess Bride. Then when I delve back into the true horror fan in me, it's Evil Dead 2. And I can also fall back on my fave, that being Return of the Living Dead (note the profile pic) I wish Criticker had a poll option for these things. So tell me, what's your best film from the 80's? I'll keep a running tab and post the results later. If this thread becomes popular, we'll go through all the decades.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: Can someone tell me what the best movie of the 80's is?

Post by ShogunRua »

I dislike list topics where posts state a movie and nothing else, so I'll append a review to mine (re-posted from the Full Reviews sub-forum);

Conan the Barbarian (1982)-

Half the people who watch this don't understand the big deal, and think it's just another forgettable swords and sandals film. The other half, myself included, consider it one of the greatest, most epic masterpieces ever made. Let me try to explain why.

After his village is burned, his parents murdered, and he himself is enslaved, a young Cimmerian warrior named Conan goes through life fighting and killing, eventually seeking revenge upon the snake overlord Thulsa Doom.

Amusingly enough, this was co-written by John Milius (who also directed) and Oliver Stone, two guys who couldn't possibly be more different.

Stone, still a few years away from his major successes with "Platoon" and "Wall Street", was an extremely liberal, anti-Reagan, anti-capitalist. Milius, whose previous script was merely Coppola's "Apocalypse Now", was a fierce conservative whose political beliefs largely black-listed him from Hollywood, despite his extraordinary talents. I would love to know how the fuck they worked together.

Despite having watched this film no fewer than 80 times during the course of my life, it was only very recently that I understand what Milius was going for.

"Conan the Barbarian" is no more and no less than an homage, a love letter to Sergio Leone and his spaghetti Westerns!

The beautiful, desolate, rolling landscapes stretching as far as the eye can see. The extreme, constant facial close-ups. The larger-than-life, incredible heroes and villains. A bitter, desperate tale of revenge. The outstanding performances perfectly suited to the characters. (Arnold as Conan, and James Earl Jones as the merciless Thulsa Doom)

While Milius channeled Leone, composer Basil Poledouris produced a soundtrack as good as anything Ennio Morricone ever made. When I think of the movie, I instantly start humming the tune to The Anvil of Crom. The orchestral score is in every scene, wonderfully reflecting the gorgeous, epic setting, or the bloody, vicious fighting.

But while Milius was making his own version of a Leone Western, he managed to surpass anything the Italian master himself ever did! There are two reasons for this.

Firstly, while Leone was good at writing dialogue, Milius was GREAT. Remember all those terrific quotes from "Apocalypse Now", like "I love the smell of napalm in the morning"? Well, Milius does just as good of a job here. Without ever being over the top or cheesy, the quotes convey the mystery and excitement of an entire fantasy world.

Conan's father's story about the Riddle of Steel or Conan's prayer to his God Crom are among the best speeches I have heard in any film, let alone one in the action/adventure genre.

Secondly, there is a pervasive sense of sadness throughout the film. As the narrator constantly mentions; "...once, but long ago..." Everywhere Conan goes, there is death and decay, and he himself is a lonely, often pitiful figure.

His parents are murdered. His kinsmen are all dead. When Conan visits a tomb, he sees the bones of fierce warriors, once no different than himself, now nothing but creaking, dusty bones forgotten by time.

Finally, when Conan is captured by a king, a once-proud, noble, and feared ruler, he encounters an old, heartbroken man who cares nothing for all his jewels, wealth, or power, but only a stupid, treacherous daughter, now under the control of Thulsa Doom.

Even the ending doesn't provide a respite; Conan eventually becomes a king, but wears the crown under a "troubled brow".

And yet, despite the inescapable undercurrent of sorrow, it's an epic tale of one man's personal quest. In the end, he DOES achieve something meaningful, something great that will be remembered by generations of later men.

A shining masterpiece.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

None of my masterpieces (100) are from the 80's, but the decade has a sweet spot in my heart because it was the golden age for its use of music in film. My highest rated movie of that decade was Streets of Fire. It was self-described by its director, Walter Hill, as comic book in nature (before that genre became the staple of superhero blockbusters), so the story is basic good guy, bad guy stuff. But Ry Cooder's score is what makes it, especially the stage numbers at the beginning and end written by Jim Steinman.

Honorable mention in that regard goes to several others:
48 Hours, Amadeus, Back to the Future, Beverly Hills Cop, The Big Chill, The Breakfast Club, The Blues Brothers, Caddyshack, Crossroads (1986), Dirty Dancing, Footloose, Flashdance, Fandango, Good Morning Vietnam, Little Shop of Horrors (the only actual musical in the bunch), Moonstruck, The Natural, Rainman, St. Elmo's Fire, Stand By Me, Top Gun.

Now the anti-music purists have so overrun the industry, you can't even accompany the ending of a TV show with some evocative music without being criticized--and God forbid if they should actually play a whole song during a movie (the Cohen Bros. excepted, bless their hearts). Film is the greatest art form because it can draw from and combine so many of the arts. They should be used to the fullest--especially music.

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

Akira Kurosawa's Ran (1985).

hellboy76
6340 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

That's tough. I think there are quite a few good movies from the 80's, some great ones as well.

Here are some of my favorites:

Die Hard (1988)
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Das Boot (1981)
Brazil (1985)
Raging Bull (1980)
Ran (1985)
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
The Thing (1982)
This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
Blue Velvet (1986)
Aliens (1986)
Amadeus (1984)
Back to the Future (1985)
Cinema Paradiso (1988)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
The Thin Blue Line (1988)
Blade Runner (1982)
Blood Simple (1984)
Do The Right Thing (1989)
Airplane! (1980)
The Goonies (1985)
Lonesome Dove (1989)
Raising Arizona (1987)
The Road Warrior (1981)

I could probably never pick "the best".

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

ShogunRua wrote:Amusingly enough, this was co-written by John Milius (who also directed) and Oliver Stone, two guys who couldn't possibly be more different.

Stone, still a few years away from his major successes with "Platoon" and "Wall Street", was an extremely liberal, anti-Reagan, anti-capitalist. Milius, whose previous script was merely Coppola's "Apocalypse Now", was a fierce conservative whose political beliefs largely black-listed him from Hollywood, despite his extraordinary talents. I would love to know how the fuck they worked together.

They only seem different politically. Stone doesn't let his politics affect his work, his views aren't that narrow. I think of Stone and Milius as two masuline guys preoccupied with the theme of power. Lots of works concerning war and power struggles. To me, it totally makes sense that they worked together.

Right now I'm gonna have to say my pick for the 80's is The King of Comedy, but I haven't watched it in years. Maybe I'll watch it this afternoon...

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Die Hard, Caddyshack, Airplane!, Evil Dead 2, The Shining, Raging Bull, Back to the Future, Star Wars V & VI, and Indiana Jones all come to mind. Although narrowing everything down to a single film seems foolhardy, I would say my favorite thing from any 80's movie is Ted Knight in Caddyshack. His roll is small but perfect.

TrixRabbi
4057 Ratings

Post by TrixRabbi »

The King of Comedy

klea
1941 Ratings

Post by klea »

Dunno about best, but my 2 favorite 80s movies are The Shining & Spoorloos

Guaporense
1519 Ratings

Post by Guaporense »

Miyazaki owns the 1980's. My top 5 movies of the 1980's are his movies plus Grave of the Fireflies.