Criticker MOM - August 2014

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
mattorama12
3094 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Criticker MOM - August 2014

Post by mattorama12 »

Cabeza de Vaca isn't available through Netflix either...looks like I'm finally in need of Cinemageddon. If anybody has an invite available (Shogun?), I'd be forever grateful for one. Or if anybody has any other ideas for finding a copy without spending $20 to buy it through Amazon, please share. Thanks!

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

mattorama12 wrote:Cabeza de Vaca isn't available through Netflix either...looks like I'm finally in need of Cinemageddon. If anybody has an invite available (Shogun?), I'd be forever grateful for one.

After sending out invitations to Hopscotch and hellboy76, I have exactly one left. So if you want, PM me your e-mail, and I will give you my last one!

inmate
4039 Ratings

Post by inmate »

not sure i'll be able to find Cabeza de Vaca either, so if anybody else has a Cinemageddon invite i would love them forever. otherwise i'll keep looking.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Huh, this is weird. I checked my invites, and I'm back up to 3. inmate, feel free to PM your e-mail and I can send you one.

Focus-

One, and I watched one of the MOM selections, the enticing-sounding Apaches (1977).

Unfortunately, it was disappointing. I gave it a score of 40, T4, with the following review;

I like children dying gruesomely as much as the next gentleman, but this was a silly collection of boring deaths, some of them occurring under ridiculous circumstances inapplicable to actual instruction. Look, if the point was to teach kids what hazards to realistically watch out for, then this short failed. If the point was to titillate the viewer with scenes of children dying...it only partially failed. Regardless, a very mediocre work, likely only remembered for the (relative) shock value.

hellboy76
6340 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

Shogun regenerates Cinemageddon invites. :lol:

snallygaster
1646 Ratings

Post by snallygaster »

Cool. Criticker is claiming a PSI of 99 for The Fate of Lee Kwan so I might watch that too.

hellboy76
6340 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

I too watched Apaches.

Your Score 68
Not Bad(Tier 7)

What You Said:

Perplexing PIF used for (in what I can only assume) training communities to accept the inevitable deaths of their wooden, soulless children while doing silly kid shit. As soon as the child is scraped off the ground, their belongings are immediately packed up. I am still not convinced the writer and director were not having us on, as their were some hilarious editing and dialogue moments. Still for 1977 this was probably somewhat shocking, particularly the scrolling death toll at the end.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

I've got 3 invites for cinemageddon as well if anyone is lookin to get on board.

hellboy76
6340 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

I have now watched Man in the Attic

Your Score 67
Not Bad(Tier 6)

What You Said:

While it will not win any awards for historical accuracy, the camerawork and score were above par and it does hold the attention, which is more than I can say for most films of the period. Palance is pretty good and gives it his all (it's no Tango & Cash though) as is Aunt Bea. All in all, not bad.

mattorama12
3094 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

It seems to me that it would be easier to break the discussions for these films into their own threads on the Movie-Specific page. I don't want to read posts about the movies I haven't watched yet, but also don't want to wait to watch all three to begin discussing. What do you all think?