So WTF is up with "Birdman"?

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

So WTF is up with "Birdman"?

Post by Stewball »

Just saw a preview at the theater and it looked pretty impressive. Great cast in an interesting takeoff(?) on superhero mush. IMDb has it at 9.2 which is beyond a coordinated boiler-room impressure, and R/T has it 93/99. Yet it's only opening limited in the US this year (17 Oct) with no set general release yet in 2015. Again, WTF?

May I reiterate that I'm offering services to any distribution company so you can be first in line with all of your moronic competition. Yeah, this effort is led by Fox Searchlight, which isn't necessarily a slouch in the Indy industry, but once again, in this instance, WT(major)F?

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: So WTF is up with "Birdman"?

Post by ShogunRua »

Okay Stewie, I will attempt to explain this again.

The rating for a heavily anticipated movie is always going to be exceptionally high on both RT and IMDB when it has only been on the film festival circuit and/or viewed by few eyeballs. These statistics don't mean shit, either in predicting the film's quality or for how much it will make at the box office.

hellboy76
6340 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

That being said, it looks batshit crazy, which has me wanting to see it.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

This does have a disturbing comparison to last Summer's version of the Lone Ranger:

But the cast is much better (especially better than that rapidly fading ham, Johnny Depp) there was NEVER any talk about any Oscars for the LR, the preview is certainly better, the reviews sound genuinely appreciative, and I don't remember another (likely) boiler-room result this high. Above all, the subtitle (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE) is killer! It's an Indy, so it's to be expected that it's release will be cautious and monetarily limited.

If there's any parallel here it's with Her last year. (I had 'em but I just couldn't keep it shut, nevertheless, I stand by my evaluation and comparisons.)

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

I've read that Birdman is edited so as to appear as a single take. Not sure I like the sound of that, but I've been a pretty big fan of everything else Inarritu has done, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Speaking of Inarritu, The Revenant (his next film after Birdman) also seems promising (assuming nothing changes). It's based on the true story of Hugh Glass which has been filmed before (Man in the Wilderness from 1971, which I haven't seen). It isn't a remake of that film, but rather an adaptation of a novel based on that story. IMDB's plot synopsis:
Centers on the 1820s' story of a frontiersman, Hugh Glass, who set out on a path of vengeance against those who left him for dead after a bear mauling.

DiCaprio is slated to play Glass, while Tom Hardy will play one of the men that leaves him for dead.

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

ey you guys I called it in 2007. Check out my review for Babel in 2007:

GENIUS wrote:Inarritu needs to make a screwball comedy.

To all Hollywood directors stuck in a rut, PM me and I'll give you my business number. Auteur Career Consultant, for hire. Reasonable rates.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Bojangles wrote:ey you guys I called it in 2007. Check out my review for Babel in 2007:

GENIUS wrote:Inarritu needs to make a screwball comedy.

To all Hollywood directors stuck in a rut, PM me and I'll give you my business number. Auteur Career Consultant, for hire. Reasonable rates.

Get in line.

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

I was set on seeing this film tonight. I live in Southern Arkansas. I CANNOT find a theater anywhere within driving distance to see this. I was willing to drive two hours one way to watch this film (on a Tuesday night! I have to be at work by 8 AM tomorrow). I've been psyched for this for six months.