Quotes

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MikeH
298 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Quotes

Post by MikeH »

"Some men are born to lead, others are born to follow. If you can't lead and you refuse to follow, you die alone in the desert."

Boyd Crowder in Justified season 5

karamazov.
1727 Ratings

re: Quotes

Post by karamazov. »

[spoiler]-https://twitter.com/RogerCorman/status/474292466770669568

-"Do not swallow anything Satan is trying to ram down your throat. Jesus comes first." -Joel Olsteen

-Bruce LaBruce: "Is there a mystical element to your work, would you say, at all?-- Do you believe in mysticism?" Harmony Korine: "What, do you mean... like... an Enya... video?"

-"I pride myself on the fact that my work has no socially redeeming value."
-"If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them."
-"Sometimes I wish I was a woman, just so that I could get an abortion."
-"When they throw the water on the witch, she says, 'Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness?' That line inspired my life. I sometimes say it to myself before I go to sleep, like a prayer." -John Waters[/spoiler]

Jerky
6163 Ratings

Post by Jerky »

To alcohol! The cause and solution to all of life's problems - Homer Simpson

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain - do you know which philosopher said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of tits"
- David Brent

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Jerky wrote:Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

Just goes to show even ancient Greek geniuses can be short-sighted. I just couldn't pass by and keep walkin'. (There is an answer of course, but that's for another board.)

tonydal
2324 Ratings

Post by tonydal »

no use in me complainin
my objection's overruled.
--Chuck Berry

TheEscapist
1055 Ratings

Post by TheEscapist »

There are so many. I just love quotes, I really have to write all the ones I love down some time for myself. Here are some of the top of my head that I truly adore.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ― Gandalf, to Frodo, The Fellowship of the Ring.

“Where there's life there's hope.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

“The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

"And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"It's funny, you work so hard, you do everything you can to get away from a place, and when you finally get your chance to leave, you find a reason to stay." ― Vincent in Gattaca

I also really loved the quote from Sucker Punch that Stewball posted. Such a misunderstood film.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

TheEscapist wrote:I also really loved the quote from Sucker Punch that Stewball posted. Such a misunderstood film.

And here's another one from another greatly misunderstood film:
"Jesus fuckin' Christ! This fuckin' state. Who the fuck does this fuckin' warden... fuckin' think he is? Doesn't anybody know how to do business in this fuckin' state? My fuckin' wife and her fuckin' asthma and allergies. We had to move to the fuckin' desert. Goddamn fuckin' chickenshit doctors... I should've known better than listen to those shitheels. Fuckin' Palm Springs... Lay there in the fuckin' sun and do nothin'. Then this fuckin' state grabs my ass for taxes. Why the fuck I didn't stay in fuckin' Florida... where people know how to do fuckin' business. Fuckin' wife and her fuckin' asthma. Shit! Somethin' needs to get fuckin' done, I gotta do it myself."
--Mendy Ripstein, Undisputed (far and away my favorite Peter Falk role)

tonydal
2324 Ratings

Post by tonydal »

got a head full of ideas that are drivin me insane
--Bob Dylan

Massey23
0 Ratings

Post by Massey23 »

'I attribute my success to this: I never gave or took any excuse.'
- Florence Nightingale

'Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.'
- Charles Swindoll

'You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.'
- Christopher Columbus

'There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing.'
- Aristotle

'If you're offered a seat on a rocket ship, don't ask what seat! Just get on.'
- Sheryl Sandberg

'You become what you believe.'
- Oprah Winfrey

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Massey23 wrote:'There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing.'
- Aristotle

My life story... :roll: