"Mad Max: Fury Road"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Suture Self
2709 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: "Mad Max: Fury Road"

Post by Suture Self »

Hey fellow nerds, I made a strongly Mad Max related post in the General Discussion forum but thought it deserved its own thread because things could easily vector off towards non-Mad Max related stuff. Check it out, I'd like to hear input from people who love (or hate) the movie: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5025

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

Did anybody really understand the plot? I mean, I got that the sexy bitches were the fat guy's wives and were being stolen, but why wasn't he fucking Charlize fucking Theron? And who were the fat chicks with the milk titties? And why were all the albino kids dying and having tumors and stuff? And who was the old bitch in the safe (where I guess he kept his wives?)

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

martryn wrote:Did anybody really understand the plot? I mean, I got that the sexy bitches were the fat guy's wives and were being stolen, but why wasn't he fucking Charlize fucking Theron? And who were the fat chicks with the milk titties? And why were all the albino kids dying and having tumors and stuff? And who was the old bitch in the safe (where I guess he kept his wives?)

theron was missing an arm, maybe he didn't want to bang a cripple. the fat chicks seemed to be providing everybody with breast milk, not just babies that they were breeding. dying and having tumors would probably be residual nuclear fallout in the post apocalypse. i assumed the old lady was some sort of "house mother" or keeper of the wives...you certainly wouldn't want to trust another man to tend to your women's daily needs.

but these are all extremely minor things not related to the actual plot. in any case, i cant find it now but there was an interview i remember reading with george miller where he talked about successful world-building and how it involves pretty much explaining nothing...just showing everything as is and letting the audience put the pieces together themselves. which is certainly true, not just in film but most of the best fantasy/sci fi novels also offer very little in the way of handholding when it comes to details of the society depicted.

mattorama12
3095 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

ribcage wrote:successful world-building and how it involves pretty much explaining nothing...just showing everything as is and letting the audience put the pieces together themselves. which is certainly true, not just in film but most of the best fantasy/sci fi novels also offer very little in the way of handholding when it comes to details of the society depicted.

This is so true. It really reminds you you're watching a movie or reading a book when they sit there and explain everything to you. Sometimes the story lets them get away with it--i.e., The Matrix or Harry Potter, where the main character is as hopelessly lost as the audience. I just saw John Wick. It's not really a fantasy, but it certainly takes place in a somewhat alternate universe. They didn't' bother to explain what the coins or the hotel was, they just let you figure it out. If more directors (or probably more accurately, studio execs) were ok with allowing audiences to be confused for a short time and figure things out as the movie goes on, I think we'd all be better off.

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

there was an interview i remember reading with george miller where he talked about successful world-building and how it involves pretty much explaining nothing

No, I get that. I'm sure all the pieces are there, and when I can get it on DVD and really go over it, I'm sure I'll understand things. Just really curious about the "half-life" thing, and the weird tumors. The fallout was at least 20 years ago if this is the 4th film in the franchise (and not a reboot).

Speaking of, didn't Max originally have a son? I don't remember a daughter. So is this a reboot of the franchise? Or is that a ret-con?

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

martryn wrote:Just really curious about the "half-life" thing, and the weird tumors. The fallout was at least 20 years ago if this is the 4th film in the franchise (and not a reboot).

if we assume 20 years, it's still within a reasonable timeframe that the people parenting these kids would have mutated genes. for an interesting, yet sad and somewhat frightening read, check out some of the stats on continuing birth defects after Chernobyl

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

ribcage wrote:
martryn wrote:Just really curious about the "half-life" thing, and the weird tumors. The fallout was at least 20 years ago if this is the 4th film in the franchise (and not a reboot).

if we assume 20 years, it's still within a reasonable timeframe that the people parenting these kids would have mutated genes. for an interesting, yet sad and somewhat frightening read, check out some of the stats on continuing birth defects after Chernobyl

Yeah, sad bullshit, etc

I love your fucking avatar!

VorpalKitten
768 Ratings

Post by VorpalKitten »

Furiosa was barren, the warboys have deadly birth defects from radiation, the milking women are the ones not pretty enough to be in the harem, and the old lady was likely his first wife from before the Fall.

The kid and other ghosts are likely just meant to be various people Max has let down in the stretches of years in between movies.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

I can't imagine there's gonna be a more overrated movie than this one in 2015 but we'll see. The story was this: drive to one place and then drive back, about as simplistic and mindless as humanly possible. The characters matched the story perfectly though, equally mindless and boring. When one of Immortan Joe's wives fell in love with Nux (easily the best character) I kind of wanted to vomit at how stupid and unoriginal that was. But it's George Miller, he's been rehashing material for fucking decades now so what can we really expect?

Every action scene was the same. The "good guys" run from the "bad guys" eventually outrun them, the vehicle breaks down, repeat. Second half: the "good guys" run from the "bad guys" eventually outrun them, the vehicle breaks down, repeat but faster this time and with more vehicles. And why the fuck did Max keep flashing back to his past with these children and others dying? It literally added nothing to the story.

Tom Hardy was horrible as Max. It really made me appreciate Mel Gibson. Have you ever seen a less charismatic leading man? He literally just grunts and pouts for 2 hours. Why not cast Vin Diesel?

The same people who complain about explosions for 2 hours in Transformers are the same ones praising this...which is it?

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

That was the most condescending and whiny post I've read on the forums in a while. Your analysis of the movie is just as shallow and skin-deep as you claim the movie to be. I can understand arguments against Fury Road, but the points you made don't really hold any water. It's about as comprehensive as saying The Bicycle Thief is about someone who stole someone's bike.