"The Man From U.N.C.L.E."

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"The Man From U.N.C.L.E."

Post by Stewball »

Superman vs the Lone Ranger as a behind the scenes lead-in to Batman vs Superman, mebbe? Anyway, this 60's TV cold war reboot has it's summer fluff moments; many of them involving "Ex Machina"'s versatile and cute-as-hell Alicia Vikander. In fact my favorite scene is a semi-throwaway with her out of focus in the background dancing in men's pajamas.

Looking at the poster and during most of the movie with Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin (the coolest name ever) being clean shaven, Gillette has to be going for the record for un-credited product placement. If this works, maybe they can take down that dartboard in their boardroom with Sonny Crockett (also the coolest name ever) on it that's been there for lo these 30 years since the premier of Miami Vice. (I'll never forgive Johnson for screwing up that show by muscling out Ricardo Tubbs just because he didn't have the coolest name ever or get to drive a Ferrari or wear a Rolex or have an ego the size of Biscayne Bay. Prick.) (On second thought, leave the dartboard up.)

Ahem, back to the movie at hand. Best line: [spoiler]"Take it like a pussy"[/spoiler] I liked Armie's Russian accent. 7/10

nilkynarfy
1581 Ratings

Re: "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."

Post by nilkynarfy »

I'm somewhat a fan of the show, so I'm happy to see the movie doesn't suck. Thanks for the review!

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

nilkynarfy wrote:I'm somewhat a fan of the show, so I'm happy to see the movie doesn't suck. Thanks for the review!

Yeah, shocked to see it bombed at the box that bad. I could say some nasty shit about Hip Hop but I won't.....much. "Musta taken a wrong toin at Albaqoiqe".

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

Saw this in theaters today with the wife.

We both liked the movie. She watched the series as a kid (re-runs), and seemed quite pleased with the movie. I didn't know anything about it going in except that it was a spy comedy (and it's not).

I think everyone did a fantastic job in their performance, but my biggest complaint is the use of the flashback exposition. They'd do this even when it wasn't needed, to explain something to the audience that is being explained on screen, when the film already did a pretty good job laying down the proper tools. I can only assume that the original series used this device as well.

Wondering if they're going to turn this into a series. I guess not, if it's not doing well at the box office, but the ending left that pretty open. All and all, I thought this was a refreshing adaptation. A solid film without being great, worth watching eventually.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

never knew this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkHLe5TCkoc was a reference to the show