Cops

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Velvet Crowe
2601 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Cops

Post by Velvet Crowe »

I know I'm going to probably start some shit with this, but...

What's with the negative reviews of the show? And I don't mean negative in the sense of "this show sucks," but negative in the sense that there are people here seem to think that cops are authoritative tyrants or something. For example:

Ytadel
"Something about it just makes me really filthy, like I need to take a shower after watching more than two minutes of it. Like, I dunno, I'm just never in the mood to watch a bunch of authoritarian cops going about putting crying poor people in the back of their cop cars because they had an ounce of weed on them. Weirdly, the people I know who watch this show the most are the very people who would be most likely to be arrested on it. You'd think it'd be the opposite, but nope."

Ag0stoMesmer
"When it's not glorifying them brutalising people for something as simple as owning certain drugs it's shameless "they protect us" propaganda."

Or my favorite

lisa
"kill them all"

I find it funny how people's perception of the police seems to be tied to their perceptions of what is and isn't considered "lawful" rather than the ethics of the police themselves. Why should the cop be blamed for apprehending someone for drug abuse? You may not like the law, but the fact of the matter is that it IS the law. It's not in the cop's power to dictate what the law is that defines their work. And the truth is, a lot of people who take drugs{especially on "Cops"} are total scumbags anyway.

As a journalist who has closely been tied to crime reporting, I haven't met any police who I'd consider "authoritarian," or at least not in a the negative sense that Ytadel seems to imply. Most cops legitimately just want to uphold the law and get paid for their job. They're not out to boss people around and dictate their authority over others since that's ultimately something they can't do. If you're caught with illegal drugs, how is it that the police being "authoritarian" a bad thing? Are you saying police should just not do their job and ignore people breaking the law, even if you don't agree with the law itself?

I think Beedub made a pretty interesting point when he said:

"I wonder how this show would go over if it premiered today."

I think this goes to show that the 90's was a much different time compared to today, and perhaps a time when people had far less misguided perceptions of the police. I recently talked to a lawyer in Toronto and he told me that "people hate lawyers all the time.... until they actually need one" which I think is the same case for police officers.
Last edited by Velvet Crowe on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

bowfinger
2839 Ratings

Re: Cops

Post by bowfinger »

the problem with cops is the show has an agenda. they don't show what happens on any given day, it is not as random as the viewer may think. the producers, in a nutsell, specifically get you to watch white cops chasing black criminals, not vice versa.

Velvet Crowe
2601 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

I do agree that the show is heavily edited for the purpose of being on TV and they are selective on what they want to show(especially since a lot of it are non-violent crimes), but where's your proof that the show has a racist agenda against blacks? The reality is that there's a staggeringly large amount of blacks and latino's that do commit crime and the majority of police officers are in fact white.

It's not like the show hasn't shown black cops or white felons either, why is it that you're forgetting about the many white people who were arrested on the show? Why is it an issue that the police apprehend so many blacks on the show when in reality they do commit a lot of crimes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YNQB0C64VQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX8VpY71eD4

WOW! Look at all of dem evul whote cuppers puddin donw da block man! Look at how the cop oppresses that black women by fist pumping with her!

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

I don't think the agenda of Cops is to get you to watch white cops chasing black criminals specifically, but I definitely think it has a very clear agenda, and that is to enforce the idea that one must never step out of line because if you do you will surely be caught and brought to justice. It also fosters fear in the masses by promoting the notion that they're surrounded by crime and criminals, and that the only thing protecting them from anarchy is the police - who never abuse their power, always act within the law, always have the general population's best interest at heart, and always catch their man. Do-not step out of line. Do-not question authority. Obey the law. Stay in your homes, watch TV and behave yourself, or this will happen to YOU.

bowfinger
2839 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

Well, to be honest, it's been at least a decade since I watched Cops, and I don't remember the ratio of minorities versus whites, but I do remember there were whites put into jail as well. Yet the rates are actually beyond the point, because more than the show itself, I remember watching a documentary about the show and the producers were admitting how they were manupilating/choosing what to show. And I don't think it was about racism, they were concerned about ratings and trying to show what would sell. Nevertheless, mostly, you ended up wathching minority stereotypes being prosecuted and this only reinforces the problems about racism in the US.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

This shit doesn't surprise me at all. There are a lot of cop-hating morons out there. (Also, I didn't see the lisa review since I have her blocked)

What I always find funny is that the people who hate cops the most are the ones in most desperate need of their protection. The kind of people who wouldn't survive a fucking week in a cop-less society; they would be victimized, tortured, raped, and murdered. These cop-haters often come from sheltered middle-class homes and have no clue about the type of criminals out there, or how they would victimize and make them experience pain and suffering in ways these sheltered, usually liberal/SJW fools can't even begin to fathom.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

bercutio wrote:the problem with cops is the show has an agenda.

literally every show, book, movie, etc has an agenda. This is a poor argument

bercutio wrote:Well, to be honest, it's been at least a decade since I watched Cops, and I don't remember the ratio of minorities versus whites, but I do remember there were whites put into jail as well. Yet the rates are actually beyond the point, because more than the show itself, I remember watching a documentary about the show and the producers were admitting how they were manupilating/choosing what to show. And I don't think it was about racism, they were concerned about ratings and trying to show what would sell. Nevertheless, mostly, you ended up wathching minority stereotypes being prosecuted and this only reinforces the problems about racism in the US.

Racism in the US is so minimal that it's almost laughable. In fact, if you compare black on white to white on black crime it's safe to assume that blacks are the racists. Gavin recently did a video about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYQ56Yo8e-4

And another thing, since blacks commit the vast majority of crimes doesn't it make sense that they would be shown more frequently?

ShogunRua wrote:This shit doesn't surprise me at all. There are a lot of cop-hating morons out there.

Yes, they've totally bought into the propaganda and while I personally don't ever use their services, I don't see why dumb fucks like Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown are enough to sway you into thinking that all cops are evil. If all cops were evil, you would see mass killings daily. The only thing that bugs me about cops is when they intentionally try to pull you over for speeding. It's just extorting money from tax payers at that point.

ShogunRua wrote:What I always find funny is that the people who hate cops the most are the ones in most desperate need of their protection. The kind of people who wouldn't survive a fucking week in a cop-less society; they would be victimized, tortured, raped, and murdered. These cop-haters often come from sheltered middle-class homes and have no clue about the type of criminals out there, or how they would victimize and make them experience pain and suffering in ways these sheltered, usually liberal/SJW fools can't even begin to fathom.

Me and my friends talk about this all the time. I live in the fittest state in America and don't see as many fatties as when I go home to Texas but it's still jarring to see someone who has taken on a shape that shouldn't be humanly possible and then having a bumper sticker that says "Warning! I'm just a bitter Christian clinging to my gun." It's like good luck with that buddy. I read the other day that 70% of all males in the US are overweight and something like 50% of all women. People don't even realize how weak they are. In fact when I first got into fitness when I was a sophomore in college, I was pathetic too but I was only slightly overweight. I think about these people now and I remember how I felt then and how easy it would be for them to be rallied up and have whatever done to them. If everyone understood that the first line in Mark Rippetoe's book Starting Strength is the most factual thing ever written, we would be better off. "Physical strength is the most important thing in the world."

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Pickpocket wrote:Yes, they've totally bought into the propaganda and while I personally don't ever use their services, I don't see why dumb fucks like Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown are enough to sway you into thinking that all cops are evil.

Martin wasn't killed by a cop.
Last edited by MacSwell on Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Pickpocket wrote:
And another thing, since blacks commit the vast majority of crimes doesn't it make sense that they would be shown more frequently?

Well yes, there is also the fact that 60% of convicted felons are black males aged 16-40. So if Cops did NOT show a bunch of black male perpetrators, they would actually be editing the show with a severe bias.

Pickpocket wrote:Me and my friends talk about this all the time. I live in the fittest state in America and don't see as many fatties as when I go home to Texas but it's still jarring to see someone who has taken on a shape that shouldn't be humanly possible and then having a bumper sticker that says "Warning! I'm just a bitter Christian clinging to my gun." It's like good luck with that buddy. I read the other day that 70% of all males in the US are overweight and something like 50% of all women. People don't even realize how weak they are. In fact when I first got into fitness when I was a sophomore in college, I was pathetic too but I was only slightly overweight. I think about these people now and I remember how I felt then and how easy it would be for them to be rallied up and have whatever done to them. If everyone understood that the first line in Mark Rippetoe's book Starting Strength is the most factual thing ever written, we would be better off. "Physical strength is the most important thing in the world."

Actually, I didn't primarily have physical strength or even fighting ability in mind when I wrote that. For instance, I have been powerlifting for the past few years and can fight far, far better than the vast majority of the population, having been a former amateur boxer in high school, trained BJJ during undergrad, done Muy Thai, etc. I'm also very tall, reasonably large, and decently lean.

However, I wouldn't be impressive in a cop-less, lawless society either. Better than the people who hate cops, sure, but still not good.

Why? Well, I have never shot a gun and don't own any. (At the moment...) And I also don't know if I would have the right mindset to deal with the constant threat of trouble. Maybe I do and maybe I don't. I have lived in safe, sheltered neighborhoods all my life, however, so I really don't know.

As for "Starting Strength", I'm not a fan of Rippetoe's method of back squats, among other things. :)

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Maaxwell wrote:
Pickpocket wrote:Yes, they've totally bought into the propaganda and while I personally don't ever use their services, I don't see why dumb fucks like Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown are enough to sway you into thinking that all cops are evil.

Martin wasn't killed by a cop.

Yes, but he was used as a propaganda piece to further the divide between whites and blacks. Even though Zimmerman was like a mexican or something. I mean thank god his name was George and not Juan otherwise that wouldn't have even made the news.

ShogunRua wrote:
Why? Well, I have never shot a gun and don't own any. (At the moment...) And I also don't know if I would have the right mindset to deal with the constant threat of trouble. Maybe I do and maybe I don't. I have lived in safe, sheltered neighborhoods all my life, however, so I really don't know.

PM me when you are thinking about getting one if you want some advice. It's an essential thing to have in America. And you'll be fine. Once fats don't have food for 3 hours they will panic and they will be easy to manipulate and coerce.