Fanny and Alexander

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
dardan
1637 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Fanny and Alexander

Post by dardan »

Right now I have watched 246/250 of the IMDb top 250 and Fanny and Alexander will be the last on my list. Should I watch the 4h or the 6h cut?

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Re: Fanny and Alexander

Post by Suture Self »

6 hour cut.

But honestly, you should watch both. I would watch the 6 hour cut first.

fungusgnat
1166 Ratings

Post by fungusgnat »

Stoic -- Neither!

Ha ha! Nah, really, it's a pretty good movie, IMO, and you've set yourself this goal, so proceed. But really, I would not rank F&A among the top four Bergman movies. Four, because I count four Bergmans on the list: "Persona," the sine qua non. "Seventh Seal." Check. "Wild Strawberries." Check. But no "Cries and Whispers"?? WHAT? Did I miss it? No "Through a Glass Darkly." No "Face to Face." If you liked the 3 Bergman top-250 list films that you saw, check out these others. If you didn't, maybe F&A will strike your fancy. I seem to be odd man out on that one.

gnat

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

Watch the SHORT version of Fanny & Alexander
Watch the LONG version of Scenes From A Marriage

then watch Saraband.

djross
5331 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dardan
1637 Ratings

Post by dardan »

Downloading the long version of Scenes from a Marriage right now. I have a PSI of (91/97) for it, so I'm curious.

Edit: 5 minutes into part one and I already have some issues with the authenticity many argue is the reason why this series is excellent. Her shoving her elbow into her husband to get him to stop bragging was mostly a communication to the viewer about the disposition of her and more importantly reveals a false start in the premise. Similar to the relationship between the butcher and the pregnant woman in I Stand Alone, them being at that point in their relationship considering their dispositions is impossible. The way she subtly tries to communicate her discomfort to the interviewer (at the expense of her husband) reveals a strength of personality further adding to this impossibility. 8 mins in: feels circlejerky and the characters lack detail.
Last edited by dardan on Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

I've been meaning to see this for years but I just can't make myself motivated to watch a movie this long with children as the leads. I hate child actors

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

Pickpocket wrote:I've been meaning to see this for years but I just can't make myself motivated to watch a movie this long with children as the leads. I hate child actors

The child actors are phenomenal. I don't know where Bergman got them, but I assure you they won't be a problem. They also don't have that many speaking roles. They're more like observers you live through vicariously.
Last edited by Suture Self on Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

Dardan wrote:Downloading the long version of Scenes from a Marriage right now. I have a PSI of (91/97) for it, so I'm curious.

Edit: 5 minutes into part one and I already have some issues with the authenticity many argue is the reason why this series is excellent. Her shoving her elbow into her husband to get him to stop bragging was mostly a communication to the viewer about the disposition of her and more importantly reveals a false start in the premise. Similar to the relationship between the butcher and the pregnant woman in I Stand Alone, them being at that point in their relationship considering their dispositions is impossible. The way she subtly tries to communicate her discomfort to the interviewer (at the expense of her husband) reveals a strength of personality further adding to this impossibility. 8 mins in: feels circlejerky and the characters lack detail.

I for one am shocked that characters 8 minutes into a 281 minute long movie aren't overflowing with "detail" yet.