Reading

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Reading

Post by ShogunRua »

kyvetti wrote:
paulofilmo wrote:A Hero of Our Time by Mikhail Lermontov
Confessions of a Mask by Yukio Mishima

I've read these two. Lermontov is nice, maybe considered a bit second-string for Russian classics,

Uh, this is according to whom, exactly? In Russia, Lermontov is, at absolute worst, considered the second greatest Russian poet ever, after Pushkin, and A Hero of Our Time is probably one of the 5-10 most important/classic novels of all time.

Nilbog
994 Ratings

Post by Nilbog »

paulofilmo wrote:THE BELL JAR by sylvia plath

This is a good one. A great description of depression
Also, Catch22 is one of the best books I've ever read, and it's simmilar to some of the books you mentioned

kyvetti
3283 Ratings

Post by kyvetti »

ShogunRua wrote:
kyvetti wrote:
paulofilmo wrote:A Hero of Our Time by Mikhail Lermontov
Confessions of a Mask by Yukio Mishima

I've read these two. Lermontov is nice, maybe considered a bit second-string for Russian classics,

Uh, this is according to whom, exactly? In Russia, Lermontov is, at absolute worst, considered the second greatest Russian poet ever, after Pushkin, and A Hero of Our Time is probably one of the 5-10 most important/classic novels of all time.

Rest of the world seems to be interested mainly in Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Gogol and Chekov. Personally I disagree with the rest of the world (Pushkin and Leskov being my own favourites of the ones I have read).

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

kyvetti wrote:
Rest of the world seems to be interested mainly in Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Gogol and Chekov. Personally I disagree with the rest of the world (Pushkin and Leskov being my own favourites of the ones I have read).

Uh, you realize the first four names you mentioned wrote prose, while Pushkin and Lermontov were poets, right? So yes, because of translation, a country's prose writers will generally be more famous internationally than their poets. That doesn't make the poet "second string", though.

However, your assessment of the "rest of the world" is STILL wrong, since Pushkin and Eugene Onegin is pretty much required in any Russian literature class, and something people are far more likely to come across than the writings of Gogol.

Anyways, didn't want anyone discouraged from reading Lermontov based on the factually baseless claim that A Hero of Our Time is "a bit second-string for Russian classics,". You might find it good or bad, but it's definitely one of the most renowned and important classics.

kyvetti
3283 Ratings

Post by kyvetti »

ShogunRua wrote:Uh, you realize the first four names you mentioned wrote prose, while Pushkin and Lermontov were poets, right? So yes, because of translation, a country's prose writers will generally be more famous internationally than their poets. That doesn't make the poet "second string", though.

However, your assessment of the "rest of the world" is STILL wrong, since Pushkin and Eugene Onegin is pretty much required in any Russian literature class, and something people are far more likely to come across than the writings of Gogol.

Anyways, didn't want anyone discouraged from reading Lermontov based on the factually baseless claim that A Hero of Our Time is "a bit second-string for Russian classics,". You might find it good or bad, but it's definitely one of the most renowned and important classics.

Well, prose travels better for obvious reasons, so internationally prose writers are usually better known than poets: this applies for most cultures and languages, not just Russian. And most non-Russians don't attend Russian literature classes, of course people who do those will be reading Pushkin. For others it's a common misconception that all Russian classics are like War and Peace or Anna Karenina or Crime and Punishment or Dead Souls.

Anyway, yes, A Hero of Our Time is worth reading.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Nilbog wrote:
paulofilmo wrote:THE BELL JAR by sylvia plath

This is a good one. A great description of depression
Also, Catch22 is one of the best books I've ever read, and it's simmilar to some of the books you mentioned

See, this is why I shouldn't choose what I read. I just checked, I think 6 out of the 14 authors I've mentioned killed themselves (not inc.shakey/beckett). But maybe in any sample of authors 40% kill themselves.

Oh, and then there's Lermontov, who accepted a duel then got shot in the heart at the age of 26.

Stewball wrote:I get 98% of my fiction from movies, so I thought I'd throw in a very momentous non-fiction book: Understanding Our Unseen Reality: Solving Quantum Riddles by Ruth Kastner (2015)

Interesting! I'll have a look for it. Non-fiction is easier for me, but I might need a primer considering the subject.
Cheers, SB.

karamazov. wrote:
paulofilmo wrote:So, tell me what you recommend.

I suspect you may enjoy Salinger's "Franny and Zooey."

This is impressive because it's in the Venn of books I've chosen and finished. It's been 8 years or so, but I remember comfortably getting through F&Z. Your taste is familiar. Good of you to share, and I'll take a look at goodreads.

kyvetti>> I'm excited about the Lermontov. I'll look for a Mishima you've recommended. Thank you kindly for you help.

movieboy wrote:Sorry paulofilmo, this started off as a recommendation list for you, but I just ended up listing the books I enjoyed reading the most, few of those may not be relevant for you.

ahahaha, that's fine. It's not all about me; I feel bad for thread-sitting. I'll look through descriptions and see which ones whet my appetite.

If anyone fancies throwing in some favourites, then by all means.

Gogol, Leskov

I've read nothing from Gogol — only impatience for Norshteyn to adapt The Overcoat.
I . . . don't know Leskov.

Hard to Be a God is going well. I've found a rhythm. My brain's just a bit of an asshole.
Last edited by paulofilmo on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

ShogunRua wrote: A Hero of Our Time is probably one of the 5-10 most important/classic novels of all time.

kyvetti wrote:
Anyway, yes, A Hero of Our Time is worth reading.

I'm gonna check this out. I usually hate Russian shit but this plus QVT's review on goodreads (Decidedly unlike any other Russian novel you'll ever read.) have me wanting to check it out

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

paulofilmo wrote:
Stewball wrote:I get 98% of my fiction from movies, so I thought I'd throw in a very momentous non-fiction book: Understanding Our Unseen Reality: Solving Quantum Riddles by Ruth Kastner (2015)

Interesting! I'll have a look for it. Non-fiction is easier for me, but I might need a primer considering the subject.
Cheers, SB.

I don't know much about Kastner's book, but if you want a solid popular science book that discusses quantum physics, Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe isn't too shabby, especially if you aren't mathematically inclined. It was released 15 years ago so I'm sure it's somewhat dated by now, but it'd definitely be a good primer. It starts to lose its way (or at least, I started to lose my way...) when it dives into string theory, but the first 150-200 or so pages are great.

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

I like dollar store books. I read one called Bust, here's amazon s synopsis:

Wealthy, successful New York City business owner Max Fisher finds himself in a delightfully familiar scenario: he wants to get rid of his nagging wife so he can shack up with his sexy secretary, Angela Petrakos. When Angela introduces Max to Dillon, a former IRA hit man, Max thinks he's found his man; what Max doesn't know is that Dillon is already Angela's man—and the two plan to double-cross Max as soon as it becomes profitable. Dillon, however, proves to be less a professional than a psychotic: he'd just as soon kill "for the price of a pint" as he would for Max's wealth. Rolling in on the action is wheelchair-bound Bobby Rosa, an ex-con with a taste for lewd photography, guns and blackmail. As it tends to do, the murderous plot goes awry,

Its apparently first in a trilogy that i won't be reading the rest of.

Soon I'll be reading a Star Trek book featuring Kirk's crew i also found at the dollar store.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Suture Self wrote:
paulofilmo wrote:

Cheers, SB.

I don't know much about Kastner's book, but if you want a solid popular science book that discusses quantum physics, Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe isn't too shabby, especially if you aren't mathematically inclined. It was released 15 years ago so I'm sure it's somewhat dated by now, but it'd definitely be a good primer. It starts to lose its way (or at least, I started to lose my way...) when it dives into string theory, but the first 150-200 or so pages are great.

Gribbin came close 20 years ago with Schroedinger's Kittens, but this closed the loop and is as up to date as popular science gets about cosmology. There's no math, but a lot to absorb if you're new to the subject. Schroedinger's Kittens would be an ideal primer. A lot has happened in the last 3 years.