Best Current Actors

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
martryn
1993 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Best Current Actors

Post by martryn »

Holy fuck, I can't even understand your answer. I hate philosophical stuff. If he wanted to reveal some sort of truth, why does everyone whisper their dialogue in all of his movies?

Tomhet
945 Ratings

Post by Tomhet »

martryn wrote:If he wanted to reveal some sort of truth, why does everyone whisper their dialogue in all of his movies?

I'll be totally honest here. Malick is easily my favorite director. Five of his six films are masterpieces, with the one exception being To the Wonder, which I still really liked, and I've seen them all at least 6 times. With that said, I would have a really hard time rattling off more than a dozen lines of dialogue from any of them off the top of my head. It's not that the dialogue doesn't matter, but it tends to coalesce with the visuals and soundtrack in some fucking amazing orgiastic sensory assault that makes sense at the end.

TsC Xanatos
99 Ratings

Post by TsC Xanatos »

Well, while I'm not quite as passionate about my "favorites" as some other people, I do have them!

As far as actors go, I would have to say Harrison Ford (Yes, because of Star Wars, and also because he's attractive) and Paul Rudd, who, for some reason, I like a lot. I like Jason Bateman a lot, too.

Actresses I normally enjoy are Natalie Portman, Julia Roberts, and Emma Watson.

Not saying these are the greatest by any means, but I like them. Except Harrison Ford. I find him to be among the greatest. So... There!

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

Maybe I need to be drunk, having sex, or have a needle in my vein to watch Malick.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

martryn wrote:Maybe I need to be drunk, having sex, or have a needle in my vein to watch Malick.

Hey....good either way. :D

MikeH
298 Ratings

Post by MikeH »

For me Viggo Mortensen has never put a foot wrong and is still putting in perfect performances like in 2 Faces of January. I love the fact that he chooses his roles very selectively and isn't afraid to criticise films he's appeared in, as per his comments about lotr 2&3.

Also a big fan of Oscar Isaac for his part in 2FOJ and Inside Llewyn Davis.

I second Stewball's Amy Adams vote. She was brilliant in The Master and also The Fighter showed she got good range.

I'd also have to go for Laura Dern -- I thought she put in the best performance in The Master. Plus Enlightened is a contender for my favourite tv series. That was 100% Laura Dern and nobody else could've pulled it off.

disconnected
294 Ratings

Post by disconnected »

I was enormously impressed by Maika Monroe's natural, effortless performances in The Guest and It Follows. She's in the upcoming Independence Day sequel, so maybe she's on a fast track to the big time like Jennifer Lawrence after Winter's Bone.

omgfridge
2796 Ratings

Post by omgfridge »

Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard are easily my two favourites. Never put a put wrong for me, consistently stealing the show of what ever their in. Heck, Fassbender was even good in "Frank" where he had his face covered the whole film.

Others I enjoy are Gael García Bernal, Mélanie Laurent, Jesse Eisenberg, Psychotic Nicolas Cage, Jon Hamm, Daniel-Day Lewis and Patrick Fischler (for any of his cameos/guest appearances on shows).

djross
5330 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

disconnected
294 Ratings

Post by disconnected »

Good calls all round. I especially agree with Anna Paquin (if you've spent any amount of time around high school girls, then you know she nails it), Philip Seymour Hoffman (though I could have easily gone with Tom Noonan in the same film/role) and Leonardo Dicaprio (a fierce, charismatic, terrifying performance by an actor I would have never guessed had it in him).