3D

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ayall
1652 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: 3D

Post by ayall »

Stewball wrote:I think Ayall got out on the wrong side of the bed this morning, or something. :roll:

Bed?! What's that?!
Sleep is for suckers. :D

I just really didn't like Hugo, it was almost as bad as Avatarded... never could understand how such crappy movies gain such momentum that carry them to the ceremonies. But you know what they say, opinions are like assholes, a bunch of crap in em.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ayall wrote:I just really didn't like Hugo, it was almost as bad as Avatarded... never could understand how such crappy movies gain such momentum that carry them to the ceremonies. But you know what they say, opinions are like assholes, a bunch of crap in em.

It's amazing how some movies don't have a negative box office, like Identity Thief--the worst movie since Melancholia, MacGruber, and The Hottie & the Nottie (which still takes the cake for the worst title).

djross
5326 Ratings

Post by djross »

Just walked out of Gaspar Noé's Love (at the Village East Cinema), not because of the content but because the 3D is really unwatchable, like seeing the movie through a pane of frosted glass. As mentioned previously, I did once have a good (in fact, very good) theatrical experience with 3D (Wenders' Pina, at the Nova in Melbourne), but I will never go to the cinema and wear those dumb glasses ever again. It really it is a worthless gimmick. Whatever else you think about him, on this issue Christopher Nolan has the exact right idea.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

djross wrote:Just walked out of Gaspar Noé's Love (at the Village East Cinema), not because of the content but because the 3D is really unwatchable, like seeing the movie through a pane of frosted glass. As mentioned previously, I did once have a good theatrical experience with 3D (Wenders' Pina), but I will never go to the cinema and wear those dumb glasses ever again. It really it is a worthless gimmick.

Yes, 3D is going to continue to fade in the cinema (and at thus home) until they start using the active glasses like on home 3D TVs. They retain the brightness and better depth. But people are balking at 3D ticket prices now so it's only going to continue to flail with active glasses raising prices even more. I'm not seeing 3D TVs in showrooms any more and probably won't unless it's settled. I did watched The Walk in 3D in a theater and it was the best 3D I've seen. I don't know what happened with Love, but that sounds more like bad equipment and/or cinematography or an problem unrelated to the 3D to be that bad. Did you complain?

djross
5326 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

djross wrote:
Stewball wrote:Did you complain?

I explained my view that the film looked terrible, without blaming the cinema (though who knows?). I don't know about active glasses, but I think that the problems with 3D probably have more than one cause. Walter Murch seems to think so, anyway: http://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/why-3d-doesnt-work-and-never-will-case-closed

First off, all of that doesn't have anything to do with it looking like frosted glass. That means you can't see anything in focus.

And as I've been saying for a good while, TV 3D is different than theater 3D, primarily because the glasses are active, which means they're electronically tied to the TV, which makes it brighter. Plus the distance is much closer. In fact I enjoy it more when I'm 5 ' away instead of 10' or 3'. And like I said, the TV is much brighter in 3D than theater screens, I assume due to the glasses but I don't know that for sure. And what's with the focus/convergence? We do the same thing in real life. I've had my 3D TV for almost 2 years and still love it. Some movies are a lot better than others--some, especially older films re-edited into 3-D, just don't make that much use of it. A flurry at first then an occasional spear or something. Typically animated films or CGI make the best effects al la Avatar and The Walk, though Mad Max and Jurassic World are good.

Maybe it's best to just put 3D out on DVDs until they can get the theater stuff worked out. I think at least TV 3D is more popular overseas. Disney put out Frozen in 3D only overseas, and still hasn't issued it here yet. I had to get a region free copy elsewhere. Don't know what the story on Disney's reasoning was.

Suture Self
2708 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

djross wrote:Just walked out of Gaspar Noé's Love (at the Village East Cinema), not because of the content but because the 3D is really unwatchable, like seeing the movie through a pane of frosted glass. As mentioned previously, I did once have a good (in fact, very good) theatrical experience with 3D (Wenders' Pina, at the Nova in Melbourne), but I will never go to the cinema and wear those dumb glasses ever again. It really it is a worthless gimmick. Whatever else you think about him, on this issue Christopher Nolan has the exact right idea.

If you have a nice home theater setup, Love is on VOD via Amazon. That's how I saw it.