Criticker-like site for books?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
lisa-
1907 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Criticker-like site for books?

Post by lisa- »

VorpalKitten wrote:
lisa- wrote:well this is what i wish for the most too as well. rateyourmusic.com is very good for music.

I feel really dumb, but I looked all over the site and also googled it and can't find the automated recommendations?

(drag pic into new tab to see whole thing)

VorpalKitten
767 Ratings

Post by VorpalKitten »

Aha, thanks! I guess the main reason I didn't see it is it's empty at the moment.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

The thing I don't like about goodreads is that it seems like for every book the most popular review is this super condescending piece that rarely even touches on the book itself but rather focuses on posting gifs and criticizing the person who wrote it. Lesser known works don't suffer from this it seems but a popular book or a book with a controversial author will fall victim to this nearly every time. It's like people go in with their review already written and then they may or may not even read the book.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Pickpocket wrote:The thing I don't like about goodreads is that it seems like for every book the most popular review is this super condescending piece that rarely even touches on the book itself but rather focuses on posting gifs and criticizing the person who wrote it. Lesser known works don't suffer from this it seems but a popular book or a book with a controversial author will fall victim to this nearly every time. It's like people go in with their review already written and then they may or may not even read the book.

I absolutely despise this, too. However, it's only one of about 10 things I really hate about the site. And yet, I have a decently large presence and moderate following there.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

ShogunRua wrote:
Pickpocket wrote:The thing I don't like about goodreads is that it seems like for every book the most popular review is this super condescending piece that rarely even touches on the book itself but rather focuses on posting gifs and criticizing the person who wrote it. Lesser known works don't suffer from this it seems but a popular book or a book with a controversial author will fall victim to this nearly every time. It's like people go in with their review already written and then they may or may not even read the book.

I absolutely despise this, too. However, it's only one of about 10 things I really hate about the site. And yet, I have a decently large presence and moderate following there.

I was looking at Ann Coulter books just to see how many she had written. I've never read anything by her and don't really have an opinion on her other than she has a pretty annoying voice. The one star reviews on there are all awful and add nothing to the conversation. Here is my favorite one:

She is so intellectually defunct that simply hearing a differing opinion brings her to tears lol. Notice how people call her out for examples and she is noticeably absent, 5 years later. The unfortunate part is now I don't think I can read her books because anything I write about them will just be attacking the incredulous pussies who are so weak that "they can't even."

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Pickpocket wrote:She is so intellectually defunct that simply hearing a differing opinion brings her to tears lol. Notice how people call her out for examples and she is noticeably absent, 5 years later. The unfortunate part is now I don't think I can read her books because anything I write about them will just be attacking the incredulous pussies who are so weak that "they can't even."

That was quite amusing, but I have read even funnier and more insane ones in response to "conservative" writers.

Also, one of my (un-ironically) favorite Goodreads reviews was this one;

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2 ... iew_page=1

However, you know what was almost as fun? Reading through the pages and pages of outraged, panty-soiling comments.

Velvet Crowe
2622 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

ShogunRua wrote:
Pickpocket wrote:She is so intellectually defunct that simply hearing a differing opinion brings her to tears lol. Notice how people call her out for examples and she is noticeably absent, 5 years later. The unfortunate part is now I don't think I can read her books because anything I write about them will just be attacking the incredulous pussies who are so weak that "they can't even."

That was quite amusing, but I have read even funnier and more insane ones in response to "conservative" writers.

Also, one of my (un-ironically) favorite Goodreads reviews was this one;

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2 ... iew_page=1

However, you know what was almost as fun? Reading through the pages and pages of outraged, panty-soiling comments.

Chris in general tends to make really great reviews. Probably one of my favorite people on the site!

Personally when it comes to sites like this I tend to view it in the sense that there's always going to be people you like and dislike, criticker isn't any different. So I don't really hate on the site for the people who go there.

However, I hate any sort of thumbs up system{which is why I never go on Reddit} which I think is the reason for why that bullshit even exists to begin with. To me I feel like the "like" system only encourages people to keep making reviews that'll be popular with the userbase there rather than be any sort of genuine input.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

I have inspired some hilarious examples of rage on some of my reviews (especially liberal rage), but I can only dream of getting such a cornucopia of temper tantrums.

Velvet Crowe
2622 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

Haha, to me it reminds me of the movie Precious which people seem to like just on virtue of it being "morally correct" to like it despite it being a pile of shit... only this book was even MORE insufferable than that movie was, and that's saying something.

Doesn't surprise me that both were pushed by Oprah.