"Ant-Man"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Velvet Crowe
2601 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: "Ant-Man"

Post by Velvet Crowe »

Eh, I thought the shrinking gimmick was pretty cool and it had some pretty entertaining fight scenes. The final fight wasn't too bad, for example.

That said though, on its own merits I thought the movie was meh. I think the reason why it's even popular is that it's riding on Marvel's movie craze right now.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Pretty sure all of the Marvel films will be reevaluated by our children and grandchildren years from now as utter tripe.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

JLFM wrote:Pretty sure all of the Marvel films will be reevaluated by our children and grandchildren years from now as utter tripe.

In which case you'd be the first person in history to accurately predict what our children, much less our grandchildren, are going to do or be.

Anomaly
1894 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

DrewTheDude wrote:Eh, I thought the shrinking gimmick was pretty cool and it had some pretty entertaining fight scenes. The final fight wasn't too bad, for example.

That said though, on its own merits I thought the movie was meh. I think the reason why it's even popular is that it's riding on Marvel's movie craze right now.

This is a pretty fair assessment. While I may be getting a bit tired of Marvel's shtick by now, I still enjoyed the film, mostly because of the fights and the lower stakes than other superhero films. I don't particularly care what people in the future are going to think about it, I just rate things based on how much i enjoyed them.

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

Ant-Man's powers are really neat, and I liked the effects. Paul Rudd brings a certain humor to his characters. And I liked how it was a Marvel superhero movie, but was more like a heist film than anything else.

I'm a big fan of the Marvel cinematic universe, as I am a big fan of Marvel comics. It's an ongoing experience into nerdiness. You people need to remove the sticks up your asses and learn to just have fun every now and then. Not every film needs to be something deeper than it intends to be. Sometimes stupid action sequences and special effects are all you want out of an afternoon.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

martryn wrote: Sometimes stupid action sequences and special effects are all you want out of an afternoon.

No....never. Stupid is......stupid, by definition. There's no way I could ever get drunk enough to make watching a stupid movie like Furious 7 worthwhile. Fantasy is one thing, farce is another.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

martryn wrote:I'm a big fan of the Marvel cinematic universe, as I am a big fan of Marvel comics. It's an ongoing experience into nerdiness.

OK, I get it, you're a nerd and you will watch anything Marvel shits out. Do you not get upset that they are constantly spending large chunks of their films referencing stuff that hasn't even come out yet? Or is that part of it? The only comic stuff I experienced as a child was the X-Men and Batman TV shows so I could really care less about these movies from the nostalgia perspective.

martryn wrote:You people need to remove the sticks up your asses and learn to just have fun every now and then.

I've rated their movies higher than most but they just keep churning out the same shit over and over. It's officially gotten old. I believe they call this putting lipstick on a pig

martryn wrote: Not every film needs to be something deeper than it intends to be. Sometimes stupid action sequences and special effects are all you want out of an afternoon.

No one is arguing that these movies are deep in any way. We all know that when we turn on a Marvel film it's going to be mindless yet they aren't even creative anymore.

omgfridge
2796 Ratings

Post by omgfridge »

Avengers = Shit
Antman = Paul Rudd
Guardians = Perfection

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

OK, if we're gonna stay with "graphic novels" (snurt), we need to kick things up a notch or twelve, like say with Uncle Scrooge--capitalist par excellence who has epic adventures around the world, under the sea and out in space. Resurrect him from his grave in the Ducktales cemetery to the original glory that only 3 cubic acres of money can buy. To hell with Disney's PC reasons for leaving him there.

kgbelliveau
1570 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

I thought Ant-Man was amazing when it came to visuals, but too predictable when it came to story. Every big plot point was predictable. Right from the moment when Scott broke into Pym's house it lost my interest in being anything more than just a formulaic origin story.

I did enjoy most of the action scenes, including the initial scene in which Scott shrinks himself and the water is filling the bathtub. It made things feel more explosive and bigger by actually scaling down in size.

I do hope that if there is a future for Ant-Man in the MCU the stories they tell with him in them become less humor focused and more dramatic because it did not really blend well in this film the way it has in previous Marvel films.