Movies as Catalysts for Positive Change

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Pickpocket
3024 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Movies as Catalysts for Positive Change

Post by Pickpocket »

ShogunRua wrote:
The horror, the horror! Say Suture, what race are you?

http://www.ambrosekane.com/wp-content/u ... ison-2.jpg here he is bonding with his dad

Suture Self
2704 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

There's something wrong about how you guys choose to get your information. I've read BreitBart, I've read Infowars, I've read FrontPageMag, I've ready right-wing blogposts on the internet, I've watched Fox News - it's all crap. The idea that you think these sources are the true "counter-narrative" is laughable but also sad. You're not being rebellious at all, you're not thinking outside the box, you're not the cool guys with the contrarian views, you're not the guys with insider info, you're just being fucking internet nerds. Stop it, guys. STOP IT. CRITICKER DOESN'T DESERVE THIS.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Pickpocket wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:
The horror, the horror! Say Suture, what race are you?

http://www.ambrosekane.com/wp-content/u ... ison-2.jpg here he is bonding with his dad

Haha.

Hey Suture, why didn't you answer the question? Since you sneer at whites so much, what race are you? While it's true that the only other SJW anarchists I know are all white guys, and Sarasota is 92% white, maybe you've defied the odds and are one of the few Eritreans living there?

Also, I believe I've found Suture's role model;

Suture Self
2704 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Suture Self wrote:Rofl this xenophobia. You're statistically more likely to be killed in a car crash multiple times in any given month than you are to be killed by a terrorist attack once in your entire life. And even if you were killed in a terrorist attack, the chances it would have been done by a Muslim are extremely fucking slim. The idea that groups like ISIS pose an existential threat to America is a joke. Statistics are important, because it forces you to be consistent. And if you're scared of ISIS more than you're scared of driving a car, you're being completely irrational.

In the dictionary of logical fallacies, the "more people are killed on the highway" argument is the prime example for at least half a dozen, especially the straw man, the non-sequitur and the reductio ad absurdum fallacies. The second best example of course is, "If we can go to the Moon...." Blah blah blah.

BTW, was 911 a non-existential threat?

BTBTW, the most idiotic statement to come out of all this is from the UK Home Secretary who said that the Paris attacks "have nothing to do with Islam".

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Stewball wrote:BTBTW, the most idiotic statement to come out of all this is from the UK Home Secretary who said that the Paris attacks "have nothing to do with Islam".

She's just playing the game. 5% of the UK is Muslim, and the Tories go out of their way to try and attract their vote.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Suture Self wrote:There's something wrong about how you guys choose to get your information. I've read BreitBart, I've read Infowars, I've read FrontPageMag, I've ready right-wing blogposts on the internet, I've watched Fox News - it's all crap. The idea that you think these sources are the true "counter-narrative" is laughable but also sad. You're not being rebellious at all, you're not thinking outside the box, you're not the cool guys with the contrarian views, you're not the guys with insider info, you're just being fucking internet nerds. Stop it, guys. STOP IT. CRITICKER DOESN'T DESERVE THIS.

I just checked all the links in this thread just because it felt like you were grasping. The most cited source in this thread was the bbc and the wall street journal. All the ones you mentioned were linked a combined 3 times in 162 replies. No one is trying to be counter narrative or rebellious, it's hilarious that you FEEL that way. FEELS FEELS FEELS

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/18/asia/ ... na-norway/ This may be a necessary death unfortunately. The Chinese and the Russians don't fuck around.

http://www.albawaba.com/news/king-abdul ... ism-768666 What do you guys think of this?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStor ... s-35290579 I hope they impeach this traitor

http://time.com/4119686/jewish-teacher-stabbed-france/ They are wearing islamic state t-shirts on the streets of France lol. God that country is fucked

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Maaxwell wrote:
Stewball wrote:BTBTW, the most idiotic statement to come out of all this is from the UK Home Secretary who said that the Paris attacks "have nothing to do with Islam".

She's just playing the game. 5% of the UK is Muslim, and the Tories go out of their way to try and attract their vote.

Theresa May is as conservative as the establishment Republicans in the US (Bush). Using the trading freedom for security language, they've been appeasing the Muslims they (Conservatives including PM Cameron) let in the country in the first place. Sharia Law is growing, with local semi-authoritative councils which goes back to an arbitration agreement in the 90s.

BTW, Mark Toner, a State Department spokesman, let the cat out of the bag Monday when he urged Russia to get Assad to stop purchasing oil from the Islamic State, which controls Syrian oil fields. IOW, Syria is providing de facto funding for it's "enemy", ISIS, by buying Syrian oil that ISIS controls, with Russian and Iranian (and Obama's) complicity. That's a million dollars a day going to ISIS. Why hasn't the US bombed those fields, an easy target, as Trump has proposed.

BTBTW, if Syrian refugees are so hot for gaining freedom in Europe, and not conquest under Sharia law, why don't they fight for their freedom back in Syria. This is Islamic infiltration, guided by ISIS, plain and simple. And as they've said, D.C. is next--though that could backfire. :roll:

So, back to the movies: What are some fictional movies that could POTENTIALLY become catalysts for positive change?

War on Drugs: Blow, Traffic, The Counselor, Savages.
Guns: The Brave One
Police: End of Watch
Media: Nightcrawler
AI: AI: Artificial Intelligence, Her
Race: To Kill a Mockingbird, The Help, Dear White People
Religion: Agnes of God, Bridge to Terabithia, Spotlight
Government: Kill the Messenger, Trumbo
Science: A Beautiful Mind, The Imitation Game

dunbar
1053 Ratings

Post by dunbar »

War on sheeple, idiots, nincompoops etc. etc. : Monty Python's Life of Brian

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Stewball wrote:So, back to the movies: What are some fictional movies that could POTENTIALLY become catalysts for positive change?

War on Drugs: Blow, Traffic, The Counselor, Savages.
Guns: The Brave One
Police: End of Watch
Media: Nightcrawler
AI: AI: Artificial Intelligence, Her
Race: To Kill a Mockingbird, The Help, Dear White People
Religion: Agnes of God, Bridge to Terabithia, Spotlight
Government: Kill the Messenger, Trumbo
Science: A Beautiful Mind, The Imitation Game

While I don't want you to think we're in complete agreement over the political stuff, it's undoubtedly a good idea to move on.

I looked at the description for The Brave One and it just sounds like a re-hash of Death Wish. Assuming you've seen it, what are the differences, and what's the positive message? Is it pro-vigilante?