In the heart of the sea (2015)

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
ikkegoemikke
4306 Ratings
Your TCI: na

In the heart of the sea (2015)

Post by ikkegoemikke »

"The tragedy of the Essex is the story of men. And a Demon."

When I was young, I had a huge reading book about Moby Dick. I gazed at the rich illustrations for hours and eagerly I read about the adventures of Ishmael aboard the Pequod. And I can still see the final drawing before my eyes, with Captain Ahab hanging in the ropes of his harpoon against Moby Dick diving into the ocean. Maybe my expectations were too high for "In the Heart of the Sea" and I hoped to see a similar scene. Unfortunately, it wasn't really a movie about a battle between man and whale. It was more something like "Stranded". But taking place on sea. The rivalry between Owen Chase (Chris Hemsworth) and Captain Pollard (Benjamin Walker) was more interesting than the whaling itself. And did you watch the trailer? Well that means you have already seen the most impressive images of the psychopathic white sperm whale.

I'm sure it was more exciting and terrifying for sailors in those days as it is for film fans watching this movie. Imagine them sitting in a wobbly little wooden rowing boat, throwing that gigantic harpoon at a huge sperm whale which swims under their boat. And after that, they needed to get that colossus on board to collect that precious whale oil. A raw material which was necessary in the 19th century to keep those lamps burning. The film begins at the port of Nantucket around 1819. Chase tells his pregnant wife he's signing in on the Essex to go hunting for whales and that he probably won't be in time to witness her giving birth. Beautiful computer-generated images show how daily life looked like in those days. Only Chase's dream to be captain of the Essex is harpooned (how appropriate) immediately. The job goes to one certain George Pollard. Not because of his extensive knowledge and experience in terms of floating around on such a large boat, but because of the fact that he's a descendant of an aristocratic, wealthy family.

The film includes three successive story lines. First, there's the competition between Pollard and Chase. After that the two fighting cocks bury the hatchet when the crazy white sperm starts attacking them. And then the defeated survivors reconcile while drifting hopelessly around on the ocean, a few thousand miles from South America in rowboats, after the Essex sank. And there's a witness of this story namely Thomas Nickerson (Tom Holland) who's a shipmate. He's (Brendan Gleeson) now the last witness of this shipwreck. He tells the complete story, after much encouragement, to Herman Melville (Ben Whishaw), who uses these notes afterwards, after subjecting it to a thorough censorship and keeping the rough lines, for his successful novel "Moby Dick". And so the circle is complete.

In terms of decor and images, this film is quite magnificent. The raging sea with his pounding, foaming, giant waves. The stately ship that cleaves through the ocean. The views of the medieval harbor town and the decoration of Tom's house. And finally the stunning images of a school of whales and the whale hunt itself. Unfortunately the scarred white whale came into the picture far too little. You can compare it a bit with the last Godzilla movie. The monster is there, but there's hardly anything to see of it. The sense of menace and being hunted, was truly there at times. But the insertion of the rounds of conversation between Tom and Herman reduced the pace of this movie drastically. The result is a slow historical drama, instead of a thrilling spectacle at sea with a pseudo Moby Dick in the lead.

More reviews here : http://bit.ly/1KIdQMT

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Re: In the heart of the sea (2015)

Post by Stewball »

I read the book the film is based on, and there's a real irony the film doesn't get into. Pollard was not incompetent but was in fact very capable and knowledgeable, he just wasn't a very good leader. He let himself be talked out of heading for the Society Islands after the wreck instead of heading for South America, due the the fear of his first and second mates of possible cannibals. If he'd asserted himself, those islands being very much closer and down wind, they all would have almost certainly survived instead of resorting to cannibalism themselves. The book also pointed out that one innovative shipwrecked crew from that period used the bodies of those who died as bait to catch sharks, resulting in them not being forced to resort to cannibalism. The 85' white whale that sank the Essex was certainly the inspiration for Moby Dick, but Capt. Ahab was Melville's own creation.

ikkegoemikke
4306 Ratings

Post by ikkegoemikke »

Stewball wrote:I read the book the film is based on, and there's a real irony the film doesn't get into. Pollard was not incompetent but was in fact very capable and knowledgeable, he just wasn't a very good leader. He let himself be talked out of heading for the Society Islands after the wreck instead of heading for South America, due the the fear of his first and second mates of possible cannibals. If he'd asserted himself, those islands being very much closer and down wind, they all would have almost certainly survived instead of resorting to cannibalism themselves. The book also pointed out that one innovative shipwrecked crew from that period used the bodies of those who died as bait to catch sharks, resulting in them not being forced to resort to cannibalism. The 85' white whale that sank the Essex was certainly the inspiration for Moby Dick, but Capt. Ahab was Melville's own creation.

I knew that the original story was the basis for "Moby Dick", but I never read the original. It would have been an excellent contribution to the movie if they had used that innovative idea with the sharks though.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ikkegoemikke wrote:
Stewball wrote:I read the book the film is based on, and there's a real irony the film doesn't get into. Pollard was not incompetent but was in fact very capable and knowledgeable, he just wasn't a very good leader. He let himself be talked out of heading for the Society Islands after the wreck instead of heading for South America, due the the fear of his first and second mates of possible cannibals. If he'd asserted himself, those islands being very much closer and down wind, they all would have almost certainly survived instead of resorting to cannibalism themselves. The book also pointed out that one innovative shipwrecked crew from that period used the bodies of those who died as bait to catch sharks, resulting in them not being forced to resort to cannibalism. The 85' white whale that sank the Essex was certainly the inspiration for Moby Dick, but Capt. Ahab was Melville's own creation.

I knew that the original story was the basis for "Moby Dick", but I never read the original. It would have been an excellent contribution to the movie if they had used that innovative idea with the sharks though.

Yeah, but that and the first mate's (Hemsworth's character's) being against heading to the Society Islands probably didn't fit with his hero personna they were trying to maintain. Whatareyougonnado? Interesting nonetheless.