"Room"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"Room"

Post by Stewball »

A value tale of primitive salvation and redemption, and of the price we pay for being the victim of evil, and the further redemption and salvation that victimization requires--not to mention, commanding the wisdom to know when to be firm and when to be plastic in that reovery. Fatherhood, motherhood, friendship and dogship, reinforce our need for having and sharing our strong. This deserves best picture, best actress (Brie Larson), and best writing. 9.5/10

Neonman
2884 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: "Room"

Post by Neonman »

I saw it yesterday and, like quite a few other (awards contender) films, I liked it, but wasn't quite blown away. First half of the film is strong, the two-hander between Larson and Tremblay is excellent, they act really well together. No matter how light-hearted things may've got in this setting, I always felt quite a bit of dread and claustrophobia nonetheless. The main sequence in the middle of the film [spoiler]of the escape[/spoiler] is pretty much pure cinema, I thought it was amazing. Then the second half of the film kicks in and shows a little less steam, though is still fairly impressive in how it shows the unpredictable reactions and emotions from the two characters in this new setting.
I'm not really too sure what else to say about the film. Like the director's last film Frank, I really liked watching Room, though I feel it's self-contained and doesn't stir or resonate in my mind enough. That said, it's at least close to one of my top 10 of the year and I think Larson deserves any award thrown at her.