My Best of 2015

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
QuinlanLJ
820 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: My Best of 2015

Post by QuinlanLJ »

Ex Machina (2015) - 87
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - 86
Anomalisa (2015) - 85
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015) - 85
Inside Out (2015) - 84
Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015) - 84
The Martian (2015) - 84
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (2015) - 84
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - 82
Sicario (2015) - 80
Testament of Youth (2015) - 80

These are all my +80 films of 2015. I am however still working on my rating system, not quite happy with it yet :P

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Rumplesink wrote:
djross wrote:In a couple of weeks I hope to have time to see Knight of Cups, even though I was not so fond of To the Wonder.

Oh dear. Good luck with that.

Here's the Wiki extract on the Knight of Cups, which might help prepare us for whatever the movie will be about:

"If the card is upright, it represents change and new excitements, particularly of a romantic nature. It can mean invitations, opportunities, and offers. The Knight of Cups is a person who is a bringer of ideas, opportunities and offers. He is constantly bored, and in constant need of stimulation, but also artistic and refined. He represents a person who is amiable, intelligent, and full of high principles, but a dreamer who can be easily persuaded or discouraged.

"Reversed, the card represents unreliability and recklessness. It indicates fraud, false promises and trickery. It represents a person who has trouble discerning when and where the truth ends and lies begin."

No doubt it will get reversed at some point.

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

Well, to clarify my comment above, I saw Knight of Cups yesterday and was thoroughly unimpressed. I'm not generally a big Malick fan but I do like Badlands and I thought Tree of Life was pretty good. However I didn't care for To The Wonder at all, and that's the film that Knight of Cups is most like. It's just a rambling mumbling mess imo and I struggled to make it to the end. As djross said he wasn't too keen on To The Wonder I don't think he's going to like Knight of Cups.

That explanation about the card may well apply to the main character in this film but I defy anyone to care after an hour or so ;)

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Rumplesink wrote:Well, to clarify my comment above, I saw Knight of Cups yesterday and was thoroughly unimpressed. I'm not generally a big Malick fan but I do like Badlands and I thought Tree of Life was pretty good. However I didn't care for To The Wonder at all, and that's the film that Knight of Cups is most like. It's just a rambling mumbling mess imo and I struggled to make it to the end. As djross said he wasn't too keen on To The Wonder I don't think he's going to like Knight of Cups.

That explanation about the card may well apply to the main character in this film but I defy anyone to care after an hour or so ;)

Where'd you see KoC yesterday? Does Ice Station Zebra have a film festival? We seem to be pretty much in sync on Malick's stuff, so that doesn't bode well for KoC for me.

kgbelliveau
1573 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

My best 2015 from both film and television

Creed- 99
Black Mass- 98
Southpaw- 98
Star Wars: The Force Awakens 95
Jessica Jones- 93
Avengers Age of Ultron- 90
Daredevil- 90
Dope- 90
The Gift- 88
Straight Outta Compton- 86
The 33- 85

Neonman
2884 Ratings

Post by Neonman »

I've still got quite a few films to see, but my favourites of this year so far are:

1. Pasolini
2. The Lobster
3. The Hateful Eight
4. Inside Out
5. Taxi
6. The Big Short
7. The Gift
8. Steve Jobs
9. Ex_Machina
10. Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films
11. A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence
12. The Falling
13. Montage of Heck
14. The Brand New Testament
15. Mia Madre
16. Mission: Impossible: Rogue Nation
17. Strangerland
18. The Crow's Egg
19. Tale of Tales
20. Theory of Obscurity: A Film about The Residents

Oddly enough, I'm not a big TV show viewer, but I don't think any films reached the heights of Better Call Saul and season 2 of Fargo this year, so how about that

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Ex-Machina for me is 10/10, what a masterpiece.

omgfridge
2796 Ratings

Post by omgfridge »

Favourite films of the year:
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Lobster
Amy
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
Macbeth
Ex Machina
The Revenant
Turbo Kid
Creed
The Voices

Favourite performances of the year:

Lead Actor
Michael Fassbender in Macbeth
Leonardo DiCaprio in The Revenant
Tom Hardy in Legend
Colin Farrell in The Lobster
Ryan Reynolds in The Voices

Supporting Actor
Sylvester Stallone in Creed
Oscar Isaac in Ex Machina
Tom Hardy in The Revenant
Nicholas Hoult in Mad Max: Fury Road

Lead Actress
Marion Cotillard in Macbeth
Charlize Theron in Mad Max: Fury Road
Brie Larson in Room

Supporting Actress
Laurence Leboeuf in Turbo Kid
Tessa Thompson in Creed
Alicia Vikander in Ex Machina
Angeliki Papoulia in The Lobster

90sCoffee
2243 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

Big year for blockbusters (and I haven't even seen The Big Short, Revenant, Sicario, Hateful Eight, or Spectre yet). The Age of Adaline, Anomalisa, Bridge of Spies, Carol, Chappie, Grandma, The Intern, The Lobster, andThe Man From UNCLE are on my to-watch list along with some indie films once they pop up on the radar. Here's my ranking, I'd encourage those that normally stay away from big budget or action movies to go out and see them, at least watch Star Wars and Mad Max as they're truly impressive visually.

Star Wars 7 (best acted Star Wars movie, fast pace, awesome on the big screen)
The Martian (inspirational and accessible)
Ex-Machina (the build-up just wasn't good enough for me to place the movie on top based on the ending alone)
Mad Max (thought this would have more of a story/dialogue going in based on reviews, tremendous action though)
Mistress America (I need to see more indie films from this year, this became enjoyable but a let-down from Frances Ha)
Avengers Ultron
Ant-Man (a superhero movie which was a throwback to the 90s almost as a family film)
Kingsman
Predestination (too convoluted, the build-up was better than the ending, enjoyable though)
Spy (meh cheap laughs, better than most comedies)
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nations (huge letdown from MI:4 and didn't capture my attention as much but it's still MI)
Trainwreck (I'm done with these raunchy romantic-comedies, I prefer the more serious indie ones now)
Mr Holmes (dissapointment, lacked the mystery you'd expect from Sherlock Holmes or any excitement, didn't care for its characters either)
While We're Young (weird casting choice/premise, didn't work here with these characters and had scenes that dragged on, hard to watch)