"The Martian"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
djross
5318 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: "The Martian"

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

djross wrote:John Clute sums up the film nicely (a writer whose style I enjoy and with whose judgments I often find myself in agreement):

http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/martian_the_film

Yes, good review, but I take two exceptions. His critique of the science of the movie using the lack of a substantial atmosphere is specious. What the Martian atmosphere lacks is mass it can and does make up for with velocity, and that wind's effect on the inherent instability of the upright lander. What you wanna bet that when we do land on Mars, there will be landing pads extended well out from the lander. Of course the lack of moisture would cause the dust to take a lot longer to settle. But then again, we just discovered more water on Mars than we thought. I'll write the whole thing of to lack of or incorrect knowledge--with a lot more of that to come.

Second, my boyhood comic book superhero was Uncle Scrooge (who I later came to realize was the consummate free market capitalist) and his fantastic adventures. So I know that the Junior Woodchuck's Guidebook's encyclopedic information belonged to Huey, Dewey and Louie, not the recalcitrant Donald, who was never allowed to join due to his temper--making it thus, not a minor point.

90sCoffee
2242 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

We need inspirational films like this even with the flaws.

It wasn't as strong emotionally for me as Interstellar or have that same sense of wonder (minus the scenic Mars shots) and it was a bit formulaic in terms of its nasa parts but I love the use of science and the all-round acting. I thought Donald Glover was pretty out of place though (and I'm a big fan of his character on Community).

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Sportfreunde wrote:We need inspirational films like this even with the flaws.

It wasn't as strong emotionally for me as Interstellar or have that same sense of wonder (minus the scenic Mars shots) and it was a bit formulaic in terms of its nasa parts but I love the use of science and the all-round acting. I thought Donald Glover was pretty out of place though (and I'm a big fan of his character on Community).

I agree on the inspirational and wonderment aspects but it's apples and oranges. Interstellar explores the edges of science, but when Watney says he's got to "science the shit out of this", he actually means he's got to tech the shit out of it and adapt while not giving up--with both scenarios requiring intelligence and endurance.

BTW, Her presents a third path where science is hinted at through art and innuendo--though I may well be one of the very few who look at it that way.