What show do you recommend me to watch?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Christmas
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

What show do you recommend me to watch?

Post by Christmas »

I love The L word dvd and queer as folk dvd, but i already watched all the episodes of both..
i started watching prison break but didnt love it..
and heroes and gossip girl got lame after the 1st season..
i'm looking for a funny yet smart show! =]
that 70s show i already watched too.
thanks!

MmzHrrdb

Re: What show do you recommend me to watch?

Post by MmzHrrdb »

"Nighty Night". Check it out.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

"How I Met Your Mother" nice comedy
"Supernatural" Buffy with boys
"The Office US" very funny
"Dexter"
"Veronica Mars"
"Arrested Development"

All good shows.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

Currently I'm watching:
How I Met Your Mother
The Big Bang Theory
Scrubs
QI (british show, so most Americans probably won't get it anywhere)
House
Dexter
Pushing Daisies (although they aired the last episode before christmas, and it's been cancelled now.. Damn bastards, the show was awesome.)

Going to watch starting February/March:
Dollhouse (new Joss Whedon show)
Castle

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Gawh, am I the only one who thinks "How I Met Your Mother" is an imbecilic piece of shit?

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

Yes. It's a sitcom, come on. Anyone could describe a sitcom as an imbecilic piece of shit, but if you grew up with sitcoms as I did, and don't mind their silly format, How I Met Your Mother is one of the best ones I've ever seen.

If you don't like How I Met Your Mother that usually means that either you haven't given it a chance or you just don't like sitcoms. It's like a person who dislikes musicals for the obvious reasons. He can state that for example West Side Story is awful and ridiculous and whatever but his statement holds no real relevance because it's not the film he hates but the genre. If you like sitcoms I'd like to see you do better than How I Met Your Mother. Obviously you can dig up the old classics like Seinfeld, Friends, and other good 90s stuff but HIMYM/Big Bang Theory are the only two decent sitcoms on TV today.

If you do like sitcoms and just think HIMYM is stupid; give it a chance. If you have given it a chance and still don't like it, I don't know what to do to help you, you're the one missing out on all the fun. :P

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

'how i met your mother' really isn't that good, i've seen a lot of it and it's funny in parts but still nothing special. 'arrested development' on the other hand is sitcom heaven.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

Yeah, people do tend to mention Arrested Development as a superior sitcom. Also people tend to mention Scrubs. The problem here isn't that they're not good (I think both are excellent), the problem is that neither are what one usually calls sitcoms. Comedies, sure, but not sitcoms. I know the definition of "sitcom" doesn't really exclude them, but the "hey look what Scrubs would be like if it was a sitcom" episode of Scrubs shows pretty well that it's not. Sitcoms are inherently infantile, silly, and whatever else.

How I Met Your Mother isn't consistently good, I'll admit. The first 3 or so episodes of season 4 are pretty rubbish, and the occasional episode isn't very good either. I've only ever really watched the show in season-long bulks before season 4 though, so I don't really notice it when the occasional episode is poor. Anyway, the show has Neil Patrick Harris, so it's pretty much great by default. :P

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Rufflesack wrote:Yes. It's a sitcom, come on. Anyone could describe a sitcom as an imbecilic piece of shit, but if you grew up with sitcoms as I did, and don't mind their silly format, How I Met Your Mother is one of the best ones I've ever seen.

If you don't like How I Met Your Mother that usually means that either you haven't given it a chance or you just don't like sitcoms. It's like a person who dislikes musicals for the obvious reasons. He can state that for example West Side Story is awful and ridiculous and whatever but his statement holds no real relevance because it's not the film he hates but the genre. If you like sitcoms I'd like to see you do better than How I Met Your Mother. Obviously you can dig up the old classics like Seinfeld, Friends, and other good 90s stuff but HIMYM/Big Bang Theory are the only two decent sitcoms on TV today.

If you do like sitcoms and just think HIMYM is stupid; give it a chance. If you have given it a chance and still don't like it, I don't know what to do to help you, you're the one missing out on all the fun. :P

You obviously haven't read my post in the "Which TV shows do you enjoy?" thread, as I listed "Friends" and "Will and Grace" as among my favourite television series of all time, but then again I won't blame you because you can't expect everyone to read every one of my posts now can you? Now those were, I believe, great sitcoms. I have rarely laughed so hard at something on a television screen in my life as I did with those shows.

All sitcoms are stupid - it's basically just a fact. It's very hard to achieve substantial dramatic status in sitcom form. But with those sitcoms, and as the aforementioned Seinfeld of which I am not personally a huge fan of but can still enjoy on its own merits, there is always more to them than just sex references, sex references and also sex references - there's actual genuine humour. Each character in "Friends" is unique and lovable in their own way, they all have characteristics which you can not only relate to but get to know very well over the seasons, and, as a result, laugh even more at their actions. For a sitcom to be able to do that as well as write new episodes each week is pretty rare and, I think, proves its worthiness of existing in favourite lists such as mine.

While I'm not going to go so far as to say "How I Met Your Mother" is nearly as bad as "That 70's Show" (I rarely give out such scathing insults, and so rarely does my annoyance at something I'm seeing on screen go right past any levels of tolerance and straight to furious anger), I think that unlike a show such as "Friends" which combines lots and lots of sex references with well-written and hilarious situations, "How I Met Your Mother" seems to just be all sex references, sex references, and also sometimes sex references; occasionally taking a break at reminding us that girls like boys, boys like girls, and usually in a mocking fashion that boys like boys, to just be flat-out unintelligent and extremely immature and childish: and this is supposed to be funny? We're supposed to be satisfied with this? Well, clearly a lot of people are but I'm not, because I remember the not too distant time when sitcoms were actually funny.

I do understand what you're trying to say and I really do need to watch a few more episodes of it as I've only really been able to sit through about 3 to date. And to contradict virtually everything I've just said in this post, I watched a bit of it recently and there was a scene which actually cracked me up for some weird reason involving Allison Hannigan saying something totally ridiculous and then following that with, "okay... but you get my point?". But I think that's mainly just because I adore her and find her antics hilarious, and considering it's the only time I've actually laughed at the show I'd just say she made me laugh and be done with it.

Christmas
0 Ratings

Post by Christmas »

Thanks for all your kind answers
I will have a try with all the details