10 Things I Hate About You

10 Things I Hate About You

1999
Romance

Rated 18 Aug 2016
As teen romcoms go, it's better than most. Take that as you will.
Rated 22 Jun 2011
When I was a teenager a group of friends and I rented this film from our local Blockbuster with my card. I accidentally left it at the friend's house but she said she'd return it. She never did and I had to pay the max fee (where they just assume you are buying it). I only mention it because it probably has an effect on my rating of this film. Not that I would have given it a much better score, but I can't help that every time it's brought up I grow enraged by the thought of that damn late fee.
One of the best teen romances you will ever see. Very funny and well written. And it's a plot by Shakespeare, so you cannot go wrong there.
Rated 09 Jan 2022
It's so cheesy yet still enjoyable.
Rated 07 Nov 2021
Rewatch. JGL looks tiny and had no chemistry with Larisa Oleynik. Both sisters' friends (Gabrielle Union and Susan May Pratt) were prettier. Heath Ledger was too pretty. Breathtaking Seattle/Tacoma high school. A lesser director would have turned this into She's the Man. Larry Miller hasn't aged in 2 decades. Best ending shot ever with the helicopter filming Letters from Cleo playing on a rooftop. Underutilized Allison Janney. Fav scenes: English teacher not giving a fuck.
Rated 08 Jul 2007
For a romantic comedy aimed at teens, you really could do a lot worse.
Rated 25 Mar 2015
Although it's riddled with cliches that would be deservedly pastiched for years to come, Young Heath Ledger and Young JGL are undeniably endearing.
Rated 14 Jun 2007
A surprisingly fun reinterpretation of The Taming of the Shrew.
Rated 21 Jul 2007
THIS MOVIE IS SO BELIEVABLE, IT'S LIKE A DOCUMENTARY OF MY LIFE! ALSO, I'M ON ACID!
Rated 27 Oct 2011
Surprisingly good. Some may say updating Shakespeare to a high school drama is either 1)pretentious or 2)insulting to Ol' Bill, but in response to this I must point out to you the point of Taming of the Shrew. Its about taking away a woman's independence. She has to learn her place and not be a crazy psycho bitch. If anyone needs to learn this, its high school girls. And for this I say, "BRAVO GIL JUNGER, BRAVO!"
I really don't mind it, it's actually pretty enjoyable.
The actors' charm and the script's cleverness are enough to make this an entertaining film, despite some characteristic "teen film" flaws and stereotypes.
Of the millions of teen romance/comedies out there that are based on a play by Shakespeare, this one is actually quite good. It's fun and fresh, and it has aged fairly well. Really good!
Of all the flood of late 90s PG-13 chick flick teen movies, this is probably the best. Partially due to its lighthearted, quasi-satiric tone, partially due to the unique narrative structure (I can't think of many others movies that switch main characters partway through), partially due to Heath Ledger and the perfectly cast Julia Stiles, who I may never be able to truly see as another character.
Rated 19 Apr 2014
Easily amongst the top ten things I hate about myself is that I genuinely like this movie. Sometimes you want some syrup.
Rated 31 May 2017
I'm torn on this one, it's clearly a fitting re-envisioning of Shakespeare, one of the few that have been translated to modern day and worked. Still, it's also a rom-com aimed at teenage girls and firmly planted in the 90's in a way that has not aged well.
Rated 01 Jul 2008
I thought it was pretty damn good.
Rated 05 Aug 2018
On reconsideration, way underrated based on the acting of Stiles, Ledger, and Gordon-Levitt. Well, that, plus a ton of booze. PS. I miss the 90s.
Rated 22 Feb 2009
Can't help it, but I love this movie
Rated 08 Jul 2018
Shakespear in high school. The movie and it's characters are charming enough to help you look over the fact that paying a guy to harass a girl until she loves him so that two other guys have a shot at going out with her little sister should not be a premise any movie (or stage play) should have. But like I said, the movie (like Heath Ledger) is very charming, so you can kinda look over that fact. Maybe.
Rated 10 Apr 2010
The Sammy Sosa of 90's teen rom/com (Clueless being the Mark Maguire). Just not quite as many home runs, but certainly a lot more than all the rest. Probably the finest teen cast ever assembled and the highlight of several people's careers, including the writers' and Julia Stiles, who once showed such promise.
Rated 20 Oct 2013
Entertaining and funny romantic comedy with very good script inspired by Shakespeare.
Rated 15 May 2008
Julia Stiles is pretty terrible, but this movie has a small handful of laughs. More than I'd normally expect for a romantic comedy.
Rated 13 Jun 2008
Nice
Rated 26 Jun 2008
For me one of the best teen comedies you're ever likley to see. Will never forget Heath Ledger's rendition of "Can't Take My Eyes Of You"....classic!
Rated 22 Oct 2018
The performances from Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger are OK, but when actors are working with a bland script featuring weak characters, OK is the best you're going to get. There is no way that this insipid film could ever have hoped to do justice to its source material, or indeed hold a candle to the best movies of its genre.
Rated 16 Oct 2022
11. I hate how predictable it was.
Rated 07 Dec 2022
Way better than expected thanks to the acting and the eye the production team had for updating an old story.
Rated 19 May 2009
I can not say I "hate" the movie but it was very close. Boring movie for me. I was glad it was over at the end.
Rated 30 Nov 2006
Nice college film, I like Julia Stiles. Nothing memorable.
Rated 02 Dec 2006
decent recutting of "shrew"
Rated 17 Dec 2006
Most of the teen flicks I've seen are stored in my mind as one big mental soup, so I can't say anything very specific about this. I seem to recall it being okay.
Rated 18 Dec 2011
- recommended
Rated 15 Jun 2012
Decent
Rated 30 Nov 2009
One of the best and most charming teen movies, the kind you'll catch on TV and find yourself finishing.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
It knowss it's hip, but not "too" hip, wouldn't want to offend.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
Hm, a teen-love-dram film eh... well as they go, this one isn't bad at all. Sort of a classic among the teen coming-of-age films.
Rated 26 Mar 2007
Both JGL in one of his first movie roles, and Larisa Oleynik before she dropped off the face of the planet. Doesn't make it a good film, though. Average, at best, and it's yet another of those teenage high school drama bits. The Shakespearean influence might make this one better than similar films if you're into Billy Shakes, but I'm not, so it didn't matter much to me.
Rated 22 Oct 2023
#23#, rw3, liked, candy, story, cast, oldies(3) }*{ #00s(m)#, ratings, story, Julia.S
Rated 04 Nov 2011
This movie isn't the movie that made me fall in love with Heath Ledger, but it is the movie that made me appreciate him more as an actor. It's a good film, with great actors, and a good story.
Rated 21 Nov 2016
decent 90s teenage movie
Rated 02 Jan 2010
Lame as FDR's legs. what too soon?
Rated 25 Jun 2007
A great retelling of Shakespeare; a lesson to teen comedies everywhere that the humor doesn't have to be low-brow or idiotic--it can be smart and clever!
Rated 10 Jun 2022
Hadn’t seen this in about 6 or so years and I hadn’t seen a movie from this era in a while and there’s nothing that hits the brain in those good ways like this style does. Noticed this time the lightness and the deft touch of the camerawork more than I had before. Great performances. Funny. Filled to the brim with charm. Cinephiles will never love this era or this type of movie like I do but that’s okay. Mr. Narrator this is Shakespeare to me!
Rated 21 Aug 2010
Creative, quirky, modern take on Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew. Early Ledger performance stands up well along the ensemble cast. Has some truly funny scenes. Recommended!
Rated 17 Jan 2011
An above average rom-com. Some funny moment and reasonable engrossing.
Cute, I suppose. Not the worst high school romantic comedy I've ever seen, but not the best, either. But then I didn't pay to see it, so maybe I'm letting it off easy.
This isn't the most brilliant movie ever made, but it knows who its audience is. It's probably ahead of the pack of '90s teen movies.
Surprisingly good teen movie.
Rated 09 Aug 2021
Host ratings: 72 / 86 / 65. (High School Showdown) Podcast review link: https://rydeorwrong.podcaster.de/rydeorwrong/folge-020-showdown-die-besten-highschool-filme/
Rated 21 Jul 2014
A very witty comedy, I like that.
Rated 23 Dec 2011
It's actually really funny.
I didn't absolutely hate it when I saw it, but it wasn't all that great. There are definitely worse teen romance movies.
While clever & amusing and moving at a good clip, the characters lack any depth to move me beyond vapid. I was also hoping for a bit more, of everything.
Rated 29 May 2014
There are more than 10 things I love about this semi-raunchy teen romance film. So I won't try to name them all... but here goes. I love the cast, they all have really good chemistry and work well together. I love the 90's alternative soundtrack with a bevy of songs that I love listing to...
Rated 24 Jul 2010
for a rom com loved the story
Rated 19 Aug 2007
10 seemed appropo
Rated 13 Sep 2007
It was okay, but I will never understand why people loved it so much. The cast was good, but not great, and the story was not quite accurate. Who was really tamed, Julia Stiles or Heath Ledger? Though I think Heath Ledger was more of a shrew.
Rated 16 Sep 2007
decent teen comedy
Rated 06 Aug 2021
8?????????????????????????????
Rated 11 Aug 2011
Good movie.
Rated 18 Jul 2010
An attempt to make a teenage comedy out of Shakespeare's _The Taming of the Shrew_; it doesn't work.
Rated 06 Jun 2024
There are a few great one-liners and some strong emotional moments that place this above the average teenage comedy. Perhaps some of it is owed to its young leads, who all went on to do bigger and better things. There are also a lot of corny scenes that haven’t aged well and make the movie a little inconsistent. If anything, it serves as a fun time capsule of late 1990’s pop culture.
Rated 26 Nov 2007
Managed to sit through it without retching.
Rated 13 Dec 2007
good high school movie
Rated 15 Dec 2007
dragged until the very end.
Rated 05 Jul 2022
I think the 90's rom-com peaked with this movie, which is fortunate, considering it was the end of the decade.
Rated 14 Apr 2015
Loved it
Rated 03 Aug 2011
I have 100 things i hate about this movie
Rated 01 Feb 2008
awww...heath ledger...this was one of my favorite movies in high school...
Rated 21 Feb 2008
Its funny from what i remember. Typical teen movie. That Stiles girl is in it right?
Rated 26 Feb 2008
One of the best teen comedies... ever.
Rated 26 Sep 2020
(Re-watch) Much funnier than I remembered. Allison Janney, for instance, is hilarious. And the dad! And yes, Heath is cuuuuute.
Rated 13 Jul 2011
Probably one of the most well-loved movies I've come across. I like it more and more with every viewing.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
I don't see much to admire here.
Rated 18 May 2008
Cute interpretation of The Taming of the Shrew. Could Heath Ledger's hair look greasier? I think not.
Rated 31 May 2008
One of the best, if not the best, teen films I have ever seen, excluding all of the works by John Hughes (assuming they are cemented as classic teen films).
Rated 14 May 2020
I would watch this cast in anything.
Rated 27 Dec 2010
Who can resist Heath Ledger looking so dashing as a high school heart throb? No one? Yea, thought so.
Rated 27 Jul 2009
Good performances, one of the better romcoms of its kind. Did I mention Larisa Oleynik is hot?
Rated 19 Jul 2008
Heath Ledger in the beginning of the career. Generally romantic adolescent comedies are terrible, but this one is amused, a good pastime.
Rated 28 Jul 2008
Run of the mill teen film.
Rated 05 Aug 2008
I find 90s films to be odd- as if right between an age of better films and new 'digitalized' ones. I'm actually undecided about 10 Things I Hate About You, worth seeing though.
Rated 30 Aug 2013
Great re-imagining of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew, with a wonderful cast and excellent script.
Rated 30 Jul 2012
Fails trying to do for Shakespeare what Clueless did for Austen. The language is really odd and the stalking/betting storyline too creepy for teeny lols. It's a decent cast but they couldn't make this work.
Rated 20 Jul 2009
A very strong take on "The Taming of the Shrew," with strong lead performances from Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger.
Rated 02 Nov 2008
Cute?
Rated 15 Nov 2008
I love you, baby, And if it's quite alright, I need you, baby, To warm a lonely night. I love you, baby. Trust in me when I say: Oh, pretty baby, Don't bring me down, I pray. Oh, pretty baby, now that I found you, stay And let me love you, baby. Let me love you.
Rated 14 Dec 2008
I think this film's a little overrated - great for Heath Ledger fans though! Generic romance/happy-ending plot with spots of half-hearted humour.
Rated 03 Jun 2013
Decent movie about an okay Shakespeare thing. Bunch of young actors who went places and then maybe died.
Rated 16 Sep 2023
I wouldn't watch it again.
Rated 12 Jan 2010
A very decent teen-flick.
Rated 05 Jan 2009
Didn't know this was a Shakespeare story. That's pretty cool, I liked the movie before knowing that though. Solid teen movie, does have your typical guy makes a bet storyline though. Overdone.
Rated 16 Jan 2009
Uhm...uuuuhhhh...hmm. Heath Ledger was hot.
Rated 04 Feb 2009
Someone decided taking one of Shakespeare's works and adding modern romantic comedy elements would make for a good movie, mostly they were wrong.
Rated 18 Oct 2015
Man, the 90s were a weird time. I thought this was great, one of those rare movies where it follows all the predictable beats but still comes together in a wonderful, effortless way. Maybe liking this movie makes me the cinephile equivalent of a poptimist, but it's too good to resist. Julia Stiles is the best.
Rated 31 Oct 2016
Rated 26 Mar 2011
~5
Rated 13 Mar 2009
Love this cute little film, one of my all time ever faves
Rated 26 Mar 2009
Loved this movie in highschool