2046
2046-2004

2046

2004
Romance, Drama
Picking up where "In the Mood for Love" left off, 2046 is a visually seductive reverie of memory and regret, refracted through a serial womanizer's experiences with six women. (Sony Pictures Classics)
Amazon VideoGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft StoreTubi TVYouTube

Me: That was so beautiful and touching. Wife: What was it about? Me: Yes.
Wong pushes the emotional geography of his films (in which longing is expressed in the character of physical space) to its limit, creating a non-space that's strictly symbolic and completely out of time, as our protagonist journeys through his memories of lost loves (real and imagined). It's as much a journey through Wong's own films as well, with characters and visual allusions from previous work scattered throughout. For the uninitiated, it might be incoherent; as an acolyte, I adored it.
I don't really like this as much as Chungking Express or Fallen Angels, but it's interesting. The cinematography is gorgeous, of course.
While I think In the Mood for Love is a better film, I really enjoyed this one. It's just as gorgeous and graceful as its predecessor, with a very imaginative approach that makes up for its lack of focus and cohesiveness. The soundtrack is also very beautiful.
One of those films where the visuals are so beautiful and captivating that they're reason enough to watch. The story's told in an somewhat convoluted manner, but it's not too hard to follow and it's the film's emotional aspect that's most important anyway. Even when you're not sure where things are going you can always sense what the characters are feeling and a lot is said in simple looks and actions.

Last modified by:coheedCoheed on 06 Jun 2014