21-2008
Amazon VideoApple TVVuduMicrosoft StoreYouTubeAMC on Demand

Ratings and reviews:

2008
This is about the most perfect example I can think of for the definition of an AVERAGE Hollywood movie. It's somewhat entertaining, but not exciting, it's got decent performances, but not great ones, the story is ok, but predictable and uninspired, it's competently shot, but not brilliantly so, the script is passable, but not memorable...It's just mediocre and average in every way. You won't regret watching it, but you probably won't remember watching it either in a couple weeks.
Even when everything gets tidied up oh-so-neatly, '21' offers strong performances from Sturgess, Spacey and Bosworth, some laughs, a swift pace, and keeps the methods of the scam easy for the audience to play along. This isn't excellent filmmaking, but it's a winning surprise in vein of last year's youth-oriented "Disturbia." If this one doesn't exactly bring down the house, by all means- it's a winning hand.
Goes through the motions of a movie that wants to be good but it just ends up being a forgettable piece of trash. Let's show a shot of MIT and/or Harvard in every other scene. DO YOU GET IT? THEY ARE SMART. Kevin Spacey is awesome and Jim Sturgess is all right but it's not enough - the script blows and so does the directing. And another thing, Kate Bosworth's eyes = horrifying.
It's entertaining. But it sucks. But it's kind of entertaining! But really, this isn't that great. It's predictable, sappy average popcorn-flick fun, I guess, and that's only if you see it with a group of friends at 10:25pm when you have nothing else to do.
An offensively slick, glossy, and Hollywoodized version of what's otherwise a pretty interesting story. The pop music montages and the fact that all the card counters look like models and the way they shoehorn in some good vs evil bullshit all adds up to fluffy, forgettable junk food. Kate Bosworth has been playing a college undergrad for a fucking decade.
You could probably tell me what I saw just as easily as I could, having seen it... Predictable and typical... Kevin Spacey makes it all a bit more enjoyable though...
Could've been worse...
Two hours passed by and in the end I didn't want to kill myself so it did it's job.
Good and solid. Fast, nicely built up and some pretty exciting moments but too predictable. Good performance of most of the leading people though. I was glad to see Kevin Spacey again. The end was a bit a let-down to me.
Although the acting is acceptable for the bad actors, and great for the good actors, there are way to many montages of pointless origin. The plot could have been dense and amazing, but this is a feeble attempt at a "Rounders" rip-off that succeeds in no way.
I can't imagine anyone feeling good about this movie while it was being made. It is so ludicrously bad that film classes should use it as an example of how not to make films. The entire opening sequence is nothing but an excuse to play an MGMT song in its entirety for no reason, the "normal life" is so flatly based on nerd stereotype that it's hard to believe that part of the film wasn't recycled from 80s movies, and... screw it, I can't even summarize what's wrong with this film at this length.
Could there have been a more unlikable group of protagonists? I don't really see how. Not one thing stands out in this movie. It takes a bunch of stuff that's relatively boring to watch, (math, 21, white people) and adds lines like, "Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner" that make me want to go on a murderous rampage.
I think the cast elevates this film a few notches above what it should be. It's a fun heist film and some of the inventive planning sequences feel like a math-based version of Ocean's Eleven. Of course, Kevin Spacey chews the scenery as a sarcastic anti-hero and the rest of the cast gets off some cool one-liners. But, beneath its surface, the film falls victim to trying too hard to be cool and at the end of it, there isn't a lot of substance left.
21 is a classic example of a cool story that Hollywood drained of any entertainment value. It's the story of Ben, an MIT math whiz who is recruited by a phoning-it-in Kevin Spacey to use card counting to making thousands of dollars off Vegas casinos. Rather than address the math, it prefers to chronicle the stories of the various team members, which would work if they weren't so boring. This movie is an utterly soulless exercise in a generic thriller without thrills.
21 is a bore for most of its running time. It's filled with drama you won't care about, repetitive scenes of people always winning at blackjack, and character moments that don't matter because the characters doing them are bland, uninteresting, and poorly developed. The stakes are low, the emotion is nonexistent, and the running time is far too long. Gambling is a rush because of the stakes; 21 doesn't contain anything you'll care about losing, and as such isn't worth watching.
Pretentious, slow, and stupid. Generic characters, predictable plot, and it's no longer believable when you change all the characters from Asians at MIT (as in the real-life story this is based on) to a cast which looks like they dropped out of art school. Sturgess is an incredibly annoying actor and it is sad to see Spacey in such an inane film.
I didn't care too much for this film. The story's not necessarily bad or anything, but it's told too traditionally. I got bored with all the typical conventions. The characters had little to no depth. Kevin Spacey was good, as he always is. None of it was truly horrible, but the whole thing was exceptionally mediocre.
Ehh. I've seen worse. Sturgess does a good job as does most of the cast, but for some reason, this movie just felt average to me. A little annoying but also quite clever. You like it or you don't.
21, in the context of this movie, refers to the game of Blackjack, the age of the students, and the number of tropes used when writing the screenplay. The entire film feels staged, like an episode of CSI, resulting in characters having no real stakes and a predictable plot. That said, the film is mildly entertaining, in spite of the horrible screenplay and mediocre direction. Also, the Math lectures were horrendously unrealistic and irrelavent (to the subject).
I don't get it... If the spotters at the table are counting cards anyway, telling him when to show up and when to go away, what is that main guy doing? He doesn't need to be brilliant to do his job. I don't get it.
A pleasant surprise from a non - very pleasant director. It has a nice soundtrack & it's quite enjoyable until the end which is a very poor spin on the Ocean trilogy. It would be far more interesting if Ben was asian though.
For awhile, it's a reasonable diversion. There's a lot in here that feels like Hollywood screenwriting filler, from the schlumpy betrayed friends serving as the barometer of the heroes descent from decent guy to hard-hearted cad to the pasted-on romance. When it's setting up the mechanics of the group's strategy, it has a nice energy. When it has to concentrate on the plot and the poorly drawn interpersonal drama, it's a barely bearable trudge.
Okay movie, but not completely as advertised. The movie isn't that thrilling and there never seems to be much at stake besides kids losing money at gambling. Big surprise.
There is an interesting story to be told here, but there seemed to be too much focus on style over substance. Empty.
A fun watch - once.