21 Grams

21 Grams

2003

Rated 08 Feb 2014
I promise this isn't a cry for help, but I am exactly twenty-one grams away from my ideal beach body. Dilemma...
Powerful performances from all involved, especially Benicio Del Toro and Sean Penn, but by the end the plot becomes so ludacriously depressing it's almost laughable about how many bad things can possibly happen to any one person. I was surprised a meteor didn't fall out of the sky and hit one of the characters right in the face. Such forced depression really killed the experience for me.
Rated 13 Jul 2008
Somehow this movie felt more real than many other drama movies I have seen before. A melancholy look at the lives of a few random people who become connected to each other in strange ways. Brilliant acting and cinematography.
Rated 30 Dec 2007
I'll bend my will a lot for Inarritu, but this was just cheesy. Anytime Benicio Del Toro wasn't on screen I lost interest entirely. The experimental structure was especially pointless this time around.
Rated 02 Jun 2008
Basically a mess that tries for too much and can't quite manage it.
Rated 07 Jan 2009
The first hour is interesting and engaging, the second hour falls apart and becomes another annoying ensemble film. The non-linear editing isn't pulled off well enough; it spoils all the plots and ruins the tension. The ending is contrived, and the editing is full of useless, alienating jump cuts. Iñárritu needs to drop the gimmicks and focus on one plot and develop it to satisfaction.
Rated 29 Jan 2009
I'm a big fan of multiple story lines, and non-linear story telling, but in this case I felt it wasn't utilized well and as a result there was little to no tension in the film. I felt like the plot could have held up fine in a linear fashion, but it was at least partially spoiled by the choice in editing the story that way.
Rated 02 Jul 2009
Had it been told straight-forward, this would be simply brilliant, but the needlessly convoluted nature of the film detracts from the experience a bit. The acting is uniformly excellent.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Inarritu's entire career is based on sticking to this contrived narrative structure, which is made more insufferable by Arriaga's poor script.
Rated 16 Feb 2007
Gonzalez Iñarritu aims at too much in the emotional field and tries to make the visual style a part of it, with mediocre results. The screenplay and way of telling the story is brilliant, but drives the attention away of the plot.
Rated 03 Apr 2007
meh.
Rated 10 Aug 2007
A mind-bending, scrambled egg of a drama. It's a powerful, provocative film with three impressive performances.
Pretentiously presented, with actors more focused on attaining Oscar nominations than genuinely deep, authentic portrayals!
Rated 16 Sep 2021
An interesting premise, some great scenes, and a cast I really like (aside from Sean Penn who I struggle to not be grossed out by) but the pieces never clicked together for me. The non-chronological presentation seemed more like a gimmick rather than the core storytelling component it was in the other entries in the Life trilogy. The visual style didn't quite jive with me either, but I could see rating this higher if I was able to get on board with Penn's central character.
Why is this film out of order?
Gimmicky, self-involved and completely unrewarding. Sean Penn and Benicio Del Toro save the thing, while Naomi Watts turns up the volume in order to scream and feign through every line of dialogue or action she is given.
Rated 27 Oct 2020
Paul Rivers: "How many lives do we live? How many times do we die? They say we all lose 21 grams... at the exact moment of our death. Everyone. And how much fits into 21 grams? How much is lost? When do we lose 21 grams? How much goes with them? How much is gained? How much is gained? Twenty-one grams. The weight of a stack of five nickels. The weight of a hummingbird. A chocolate bar. How much did 21 grams weigh?"
Rated 22 Jun 2008
Sean Penn, Naomi Watts, and Benicio Del Toro are all fantastic in this jarring and tragic film. The movie itself is unique in that it is all told non-sequentially with the audiences given little pieces of scenes in a seemingly random order. The film is excellent and is very powerful.
Rated 12 Sep 2008
A melancholic trip that confronts you with some heavy "what would I do" questions that left me with a twisted mind. Naomi Watts and Sean Penn at it's best and In deed one of the best Drama's in the last years.
Rated 29 Sep 2008
Gimmicky, manipulative and unrewarding.
Rated 17 Jan 2009
Highly overrated and pretty dull, Del Toro is fantastic, but really pretty basic and plodding to boot.
Rated 17 Jun 2009
Did not see what was so great about this movie. Sean Penn and Benicio Del Toro are great, but the plot is weaker than the heart.
Rated 07 Oct 2009
The highly non-linear approach in the beginning helped draw me in a bit more than regular storytelling would have. Even though it's 'just a drama', it hit all the right notes thanks to a great cast and the constant shift in perspective.
Rated 21 Oct 2009
Poorly written, contrived and manipulative. It was apparently sensed by the director that the story doesn't hold water, and so he tried to make up for it via a gimmick: Very fragmentary editing, bits and pieces, often non-linear chronologically. All this does is to take a mediocre movie and make it messier and less coherent. I wish someone would explain to crap directors that editing gimmicks do not deodorize their stinkers.
Rated 01 Sep 2010
It's got something to begin with, seemingly watchable. Then cracks start to appear, a sense that the film's trying a little too hard. It actually ends with a sense of dissatisfaction, too disjointed for its own good.
Rated 10 Jul 2015
It's unfortunately more Amores Perros than Birdman, its indulgence in misery and moralising is close, but no cigar to the former film's, but this is still arthouse trash. Firstly, the fragmented narrative structure is audacious, but because of its inconsistency it does nothing for the film except obscure the story for no reason. The story itself gets more contrived towards the end, with a few plot points leaving me aghast by their stupidity.
Rated 30 Nov 2006
The "worst" of the three Inarritu films and still an amazing movie which completely ignores any narrative rules. Heartbreaking performances by Sean Penn and - even better - Naomi Watts.
Confused the hell out of me. Left me feeling like I got drugged and dateraped.
I'm not sure what they were going for with this, but it ends up a convoluted mess that wastes wonderful performances from the leads. It was good enough to keep me hoping it would come together well in the end, but just never delivered.
Rated 21 Feb 2007
Good film which tends to drag a bit but is definitly worth a watch.
Rated 13 Aug 2023
audiovisual 80 acting 80 overall feeling 77 avg 79
Rated 05 Nov 2013
The movie's theme is depressing dealing with the loss of loved ones. Stellar performances from all the characters but I wasn't left with a 'Wow!' effect after it was done. Not the kind of a movie to watch if you are looking to lift up your mood.
Rated 01 Sep 2012
maybe my favourite movie of all time? definitely when i fell in love with benicio del toro. harsh, dirty, grimy, tense, the religious themes.. salvation.. amazin
Rated 06 Apr 2007
Powerful film.
Rated 18 May 2007
Excellent thought provoking movie that makes you wonder, "how much does 21 grams weigh". Very believable characters.
Rated 15 Jul 2007
Good but emotionally draining. Also, somewhat derivative of Inarritu's previous work, "Amores Perros", which I liked much better.
Rated 03 Aug 2007
buh?
Rated 29 Nov 2013
Some of the best use of non-chronological storytelling since Christopher Nolan's Memento. Be prepared for the the highly emotional nature of the movie, but feel confident that your emotions will thank you for the experience.
A blown opportunity. Great acting built-into a nonsensical metaphor and soap-opera trifecta.
VERY underrated.
I didn't get it, I think it was good, but I can't be sure.
Rated 12 May 2013
Naomi Watts acting is flawless and her being topless on of the great treasures of this film. Sean Penn was not annoying. The movie is sadly disjointed with a timeline that is constantly switching back and forth. Mixed into the chopped up editing is a heartfelt story of personal loss, grief, longing, guilt, love and revenge. Excellent acting. All of the performances felt genuine. I wish the timeline had not been shuffled so badly. Otherwise excellent, given the difficult material.
Rated 28 Mar 2012
Sean Penn needs to lighten up. Seriously.
Mediocre movie. I don't see what the fuzz is all about? Editing is prepotential, story is not moral, directing poor. Penn takes all the fame.
If it weren't for Naomi Watts, this would be an excellent movie.
Lots of material here, but it's too scattered to be effective.
Prett, but ultimately disappointing. See Amos Perros.
Rated 30 Mar 2013
certainly it's not as strong as the two others (Babel & Amores Perros). the story and the characters are weaker.
Rated 22 Mar 2012
#12#, Naomi.W!, liked, oldies(2) }*{ #00s(m)#, reviews, cast
Rated 04 Sep 2007
it was ok movie
Rated 17 Sep 2007
solid, but not great
Rated 08 Oct 2007
The enigma of the death is treated here as a humanized and photographic way.
Rated 18 Oct 2007
My 2nd favorite Sean Penn movie. It is wrenching, and I wanted more.
Rated 11 Nov 2007
Amazing film. Like all of Inarritu's films, many of the people in the background were just random people in Memphis when they were filming.
Rated 25 Feb 2013
not bad.not that good either but Naomi Watts turns in a very good performance and I'm not just saying that because she took her top off.
Rated 29 Feb 2012
It's a well made film, but I just didn't get wrapped up in it. There wasn't really a weak performance, I just didn't seem to care about an of the characters. The editing is well done, jumping back and forth in time, but I couldn't help but feel it would have been better if it was just told linear. The plot itself is pretty well constructed though, lots of interweaving characters, and even though they sound interesting on paper, for some reason I just didn't get into it.
Rated 02 Jun 2008
A good movie, but not the philosophical masterpiece it portends to be.
Rated 12 Jun 2008
This film presents an interesting take on life and death, with good performances on all counts and great directing and writing under the hood.
Rated 06 Mar 2024
Ah, my most-hated film genre: "sad people being sad". And the jumbled timeline added nothing to the story, and was a big waste of time.
Rated 28 Oct 2008
The one thing you should never ever say to Naomi Watts: "I have Michael's heart."
Rated 17 Nov 2008
9 times out of ten I hate emotionally manipulative films. Mostly because the melodrama is so artificial and inhumane. However, there are some directors who can pull this off, and Inarritu is one of them. Powerful acting all around, creative non-linear narrative and all that soaking is depression and hopelessness.
Rated 11 Dec 2008
beautiful drama that you must see. Great casting.
Rated 01 Jan 2009
Not as good as I was hoping, and don't think it would be so reviered if it was a linear film. Stellar performances by the cast though
Rated 04 Feb 2013
uma obra prima do Iñárritu, a não linearidade dos fatos deixa-o simplesmente incrível, além do excelente elenco e respectiva atuação.
Rated 22 Jan 2009
Despite a very compelling performance from Benicio Del Toro, this movie ultimately failed because it was too self-important. The meeting of these characters is supposed to have some sort of cosmic significance (let's remember, this is the guy who would later direct Babel), but I'm not buying it. Also, when the meaning of the film's title is finally revealed, I let out a groan that would have deafened anybody sitting near me.
Rated 25 Jan 2009
This film is a puzzle... the watcher should figure out where the pieces go.. a la Memento, but a lesser movie at that.
Rated 03 Feb 2009
Non linear ensemble piece that is clever and heartfelt and carries a great direction and acting by it's stars. Highly recommended.
Rated 10 Feb 2009
very very very interesting movie
Rated 17 Jan 2016
Imagine life worth 21 grams of pure shit. Undeniable, indisputable and mundane. Frankly the best part of the movie is not giving any answers other than get over it. Kudos for that. And Kudos to Naomi Watts, a superb performance. The non-linearity could have been utilised more carefully for all the mess it creates, the final monologue (and the poster) edited, for the poetry it brings is hardly necessary after two hours of constant life, weighing no more than 21 grams.
Rated 30 Jan 2013
Her şey 21 Gram'a bakar...
Rated 29 Nov 2011
AMAZING
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Excellent film. Compelling and memorable.
Rated 06 Aug 2009
A very emotionally intense film with powerful performances from all the leading actors. I have rarely seen mental pain and anguish so clearly in a film. The non-linear direction does add an interesting element to the film but unfortunately it takes away most of the tension, revealing certain aspects of the plot much too early.
Rated 07 Nov 2015
Not good, fairly standard plot. Some good performances, but the characters aren't interesting and at times quite annoying. The dialogue isn't anything special, at times downright bad. Meanwhile there is a false sense of importance throughout the film. The time structure of this film only tries to conceal its shallowness and does nothing but add to the confusion. When everything is revealed it's a total disappointment. Empty, pretentious drivel.
Rated 23 Dec 2013
Alejandro González Iñárritu deftly weaves an uncommonly structured narrative with panache in 21 Grams, a stylish, haunting drama full of fine performances.
Rated 24 Oct 2009
perfect drama, perfect actors.
Rated 16 Nov 2009
Excelente!
Rated 26 Nov 2009
Fucking forgettable.
Rated 01 Dec 2009
Sean Penn, Benicio Del Torro and Naomi Watts are brilliant
Rated 05 Aug 2015
Trying way to hard to be 'heavy'. I guess it succeeds at that, but so what when it's also dreary.
Rated 15 Dec 2012
Using an interesting, sorrowful plot coupled with a neat narrative device, 21 Grams succeeds on every level, just not to the fullest extent. Iñárritu's direction is more than respectable, but some parts of the film falter. Del Toro, Watts, and Penn deliver worthy performances, believable and heartbreaking. Not the best script, cinematography, or music but still, a good film. Charlotte Gainsbourg is excruciatingly pretty.
Rated 15 Nov 2011
A superb cast, who all give very good performances, a non-linear storyline about three sets of lives colliding together and great direction made this one of the best thrillers I've seen.
Rated 05 Apr 2010
Such a depressing movie. if you like a good drama, check this one out.
Rated 28 Apr 2010
crappy melodrama
Rated 26 Jul 2010
A potent and powerful cinematic journey, a film that drags slightly in the middle but certainly pays off in the ending. The performances by the three leads (and especially that of Naomi Watts) are nerve-wracking, Iñárritu direction is inspired and Arriaga's brilliant script is the catalyst of this complex jigsaw puzzle of a film.
Rated 27 Jul 2010
A strong emotional engrossing film with some fine performances. The non-linear sequence of the movie is very interesting. All the feelings are mixed up and it feels suffocated to look at the states of the three characters.
Rated 12 Aug 2010
It was decidely worth watching. It was punchy, but leaned too far into the punches. It was overweight with guilt, fear, and the editing was the only interesting peak of the film. Would have been a terrible sin to tell it straightforward, though.
Rated 16 Nov 2012
It was pretty similar to the director's other films, like Amores Perros (2000) and Babel (2006), but not in such a way that it felt repetitive. The cast was fantastic, and included several favourites of mine. Even Naomi Watts, whom I don't usually like, was very good. The non-linear chronology may be confusing and off-putting at first, but I do suggest that you stick with it, because it all comes together by the end. It was full of nice, raw emotion and intriguing themes, and I liked it a lot.
Rated 22 Sep 2012
Another very depressing, think deeply about life sort of movie by Inarritu. It is also a truly beautiful film. Great performances, especially by Benicio Del Toro.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Solid performances and a great script.
Rated 01 Oct 2010
awesome
Rated 22 Oct 2010
An idiotic, pretension grasp for relevance that ultimately falls on its stupid, anvilicious face.
Rated 30 Nov 2010
"The film's images are whorishly cluttered with religious iconography and spiritual rhetoric but González Iñárritu hardly allows these codes to mirror a collective humanity's existential bewilderment." - Ed Gonzalez
Rated 20 Dec 2010
It has a good idea at its heart, but the execution is overly gimmicky. The moody photography and bleak atmosphere gets wearing after a while. Penn and Watts are miscast, del Toro is excellent.
Rated 25 Oct 2012
* Casting, Acting : 9.5 * Script : 10 * Directing, Aura : 9.5 * Ease of Viewing : 7 * Naked Eye : 9.5
Rated 09 Feb 2014
good
Rated 22 Feb 2011
Santoalalla + Inarritu = 95 !
Rated 25 Feb 2011
what a trip. people who have seen memento before this are kinda used to decyphering a movie's event-timeline. it's not really that hard either, but leaves you with A LOT of questions right from the beginning. for some this may be the reason to pull the plug, others are drawn in even more. i consider myself the latter and enjoyed it a lot. the three main characters are performing expertly, with naomi watts on top (pun intended). go see it, if you haven't!
Rated 26 Feb 2011
Hated this the first time I watched this about 2 years ago (0/10). My friend saw it recently and liked it so I figured I should revisit it. The characters are all detestable (deeply flawed if you want it in a more positive light) but it works. Knowing the story helps when watching it the second time around because of the fragmented structure. A cool movie which encouraged me to take a slightly different approach to film viewing.
Rated 13 Mar 2011
Its story is complex and will take you a while to figure out and the acting performances are all great. It's a film that will keep you wondering throughout its duration, but also make you care about its characters by the end. I enjoyed it quite a lot, but its difficult to review thanks to the story being one of the most difficult things to describe. I say give it a watch, because it's something you should enjoy.