1977
Shy, reclusive girl Pinky starts work at a solarium and becomes emotionally attached to her fellow worker... (imdb)
Directed by:
Written by:
Starring:
Country:
Genre:
Language:

1977

Rated 30 Aug 2011
I was on board with this film for the first 30 minutes or so but it just never amounted to anything and then took a huge nose dive in the second half. Disappointing cause every Altman up to this point has been great. Found the characters to be boring and Altman was trying way too hard to be subtle and "deep." Sissy Spacek and Shelley Duvall are both horrifying looking as well, found it difficult to masturbate to.
Rated 11 Dec 2009
Equally dreamlike and nightmarish, Altman weaves a perplexing story that deals with both social and personal alienation. Never a dull moment - and never a truly stable one either. "3 Women" is as uncomfortable in its own (celluloid) skin as Pinky and Millie are in their (human) skin. Constantly moving about slowly in and out, right and left, the camera of "3 Women" comes across as a sympathetic in one scene and damningly indicting in the next. This is one weird movie. And that's a compliment.
Rated 07 Feb 2007
The midway point between two works of genius, and failing to be either. Lacks the poetry of Persona and the emotion of Mulholland Dr., falling in a dark place of "intellectually a good idea, but not amounting to much of a film".
Rated 28 Apr 2009
An enigmatic and unsettling movie about social alienation. Altman's trademarks really come to their own right in this great film.
Rated 13 May 2012
The Chabad thriftstore edition of Mullholand Drive.
Rated 09 Sep 2009
It is very hard to describe a film like "3 Women", because there is so much going on in every frame. The film plays like a dream. It's so dreamlike as it passes on so many dreamy imagery and situations, before that "shift" comes halfway in, and the film becomes a virtual nightmare.
Rated 16 Mar 2014
One of the fucking weirdest movies I've seen. Completely impenetrable until taken as a hypnagogic experience-- how all good film should be approached anyway, I would think.
Rated 15 Mar 2015
I wish I had dreams like that.
Rated 09 Oct 2010
A strange and unique film, eschewing traditional plot devices for an ambiguous, amorphous pattern of pure behavior and emotion. Not that there aren't plenty of other dreamlike films out there, and in particular comparisons to Bergman seem relevant, but this is achieved with Altman's original brand of stylized naturalism. The performances are fantastic, with Duvall and Spacek playing out some sort of sinister mother/daughter, quasi-lesbian infatuation.
Rated 19 May 2019
Yes, I was hung over. Yes, I may have slept through some of it. Yes, if you look at my track record, modernist, complicated art stuff like this is supposed to be my jive. I found the characters to be frustrating and unapproachable, and while this is obviously also by design, I'd recommend it, but will never want to watch it again.
Rated 19 Jul 2012
I probably think about this puzzle of a film more than any other that I've seen in the past few years. Spacek, Duvall & Rule are all captivating and deeply haunting; it's like a disturbing half-remembered dream; difficult to believe that Altman (or anyone) could come up with this strange a story.
Rated 05 Dec 2013
Some really intriguing bits and great atmosphere...went nowhere and ended without answering its own questions.
Rated 11 Sep 2013
kind of fascinating, with the duality of personality before/after the suicide attempt also represented by the weird colour shifts. not exactly sure what it's supposed to mean beyond that (though even altman doesn't seem to have much of a theory), but it was rather riveting viewing towards the end, even if it was a bit impenetrable.
Rated 24 Dec 2012
What Bergman's Persona might have been, if it was more refined.
Rated 01 Jun 2009
Wonderfully enigmatic and layered making it highly rewatchable. The ending is particularly great.
Rated 28 Jan 2010
A strange trio of women in one of Altman's strangest and best films.
Rated 04 Jan 2015
This is a prime example of a talented filmmaker over-reaching. Instead of concentrating on a straightforward yet deeply compelling question of whether two people can naturally and seamlessly exchange identities, Altman figures it's not enough when there are Fellinis and Kubricks and Polanskis and Tarkovskys. He dials up the complexity and muddles what would otherwise be a highly effective vector for delivering a profoundly unsettling message: you're not really you. Instead we have 3 Women.
Rated 03 Dec 2019
A subconscious exploration of the mysteries of maturation and growth within femininity. A lucid momentum propels the narrative forward as explosive moments of change erupt and constantly turn the film on its head. The violent swings are disorienting, but truly illustrate the perversion of innocence and the loss of ambition in a way that no script could. Fantastic, mysterious work.
Rated 16 Aug 2009
Quite interesting, especially in how it manipulates your sympathy for the two leads who are both at times sympathetic and despicable. A lo of great little details in the periphery of the central characters also help make it enjoyable.
Rated 18 Sep 2012
This is a boring, pointless, ridiculous waste of time. Some of the worst music ever. For every thing that is interesting there are at least five things that are not. It is weird, which is ordinarily good, but this just drags on and on and nothing much materializes. It is always on the verge of going somewhere, but fizzles out each time. I normally love Sissy Spacek and Shelly Duvall, but not in this movie. It is very hard to like.
Rated 03 Jan 2007
Três mulheres estreava há 45 anos na Suécia. Esse filme só chegou no mercado de home video nos anos 2000, mas em algum momento dos anos 90 o vi na TV de madrugada e é ainda melhor do que me lembrava. Dá uma triple feature sensacional com Persona e Mulholland Dr. Box Versátil A Arte de Robert Altman.
Rated 21 Feb 2010
The first half of the film works like a dream. The cutting is soft, lots of fades and wipes. Scenes wash by like lapping water. It's slow and eerie --the atmosphere provided by Gerald Busby's score has distinct horror overtones-- enigmatic, and resists attempts to decipher what happened. If Altman is trying to make some larger societal point in the relation of the numb Millie and Pinkie to the silent but powerful Willie and her murals, it was beyond me on the first viewing.
Rated 19 Sep 2016
Once it takes its turn, it starts to find its footing.
Rated 18 Sep 2019
Anxiety inducing. Nothing happens. Definitely inspired by Persona.
Rated 11 May 2012
What the hell, this is terrible. It's like a proto-Lynch film whose mystery you couldn't care less about. Reinforces my impression from The Shining that Shelley Duvall is just a bad actress.
Rated 21 Jul 2013
The unconventional story of this movie is really appealling. The slow paced movie carries lot of details in it. Articulates women and their struggles.
Rated 20 May 2019
A peculiar dream-like film that brings to mind 'Persona' and 'Mulholland Dr.'. It's one I would like to revisit, not so much (even though I am a big fan of puzzles) in order to try to make more sense of it, but rather to soak up and simply enjoy the many atmospheric scenes and the exquisite acting.
Rated 11 Sep 2009
I don't know what happened to this movie in the second half.
Rated 09 Aug 2014
Definitely a weird movie. Not sure that is a good thing though. Not quite sure what to make of it. I found the film quite boring to a certain point, and after that I found it just kind of confounding. One of those films I don't think is for me.
A very eerie (but sometimes very funny) film with superb characters that proves that even at his most experimental (this was based on a dream, I believe) Altman can create great cinema.
Rated 02 Dec 2011
#897
Rated 04 Jun 2016
I enjoyed seeing Spacek and Duvall work together. The world in the film completely dismisses them, and all they have is each other. Everything dealing with their relationship and all the awkward social interaction was very interesting to me. I could live without all the surreal stuff though. There's some neat imagery, but it felt pretty meaningless overall.
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Rated 08 Apr 2007
Other than the eerie psychedelic sequences Altman fails to deliver with a good premise and falls into the land of needlessly depressive. Spacek and Duvall was a clever match though.
Rated 01 Feb 2013
Interesting, and twisted plot. Not what I expected, but better.
Rated 19 Jul 2010
Dark, mysterious and haunting, but also a little unsatisfying - it has great build up but in the end being deliberately enigmatic without a clear purpose feels kind of cheap.
Rated 25 Nov 2012
Sissy Spacek's scariest performance, bar none.
Rated 22 Feb 2013
watched: 2013, 2021
Rated 12 Oct 2017
Nifty film about what seems like mostly women interacting, though is really some bizarre underlying musings on influence, persona swapping, and other peculiar notions of identity -- sounds pretentious, but it's housed in an absorbing and watchable story. I can dig the vagueness, but things get a little too loose towards the end, making the inconclusiveness seem actually half-baked and unsure of itself.
Rated 30 Dec 2013
Beautifully shot, with tons of great symbolic imagery. I enjoy the interaction between Spacek and Duvall. It's like they're inhabiting two different worlds, yet somehow share a deep understanding of each other. The final few minutes definitely threw me off, but the more I think about it, the more I appreciate the film's mysterious nature. This is one I plan to revisit again, both to better understand things, and to take in the visual mastery on display.
Rated 08 May 2012
Sissy Spacek's performance is outstanding. She is an extraordinary actress and definitely one of America's greatest actresses. I don't have any firm idea as to what this movie is about but the second half especially was engrossing and the nightmare sequence is absolutely fantastic.
Rated 17 Mar 2015
persona'yı bir daha izliyim. bir de bu nasıl muzik kullanimi alaim yarabim
Rated 01 Aug 2010
Duvall and Spacek are wonderful as a pair of socially alienated wannabes. The film gets gradually creepier and more surreal in tone. Fascinating.
Rated 24 Oct 2012
It's been almost a year since I've seen this film, and whenever I think about I get all warm and happy. So great! So much great stuff here, lots of unique imagery. I especially liked the raised middle finger to all the machismo in 70s American film, almost every male character in this film is a sex obsessed doofus. But it's never over done, perfectly stated.
Rated 15 Jan 2010
Rated 30 Dec 2007
An interesting experiment from Altman, but it's not really his strongest. Duvall and Spacek do a great job and I felt genuinely sorry for Duvall especially.
Rated 09 Apr 2009
Good Movie
Rated 10 Apr 2016
Sociopaths, feminism and creepy editing are things I love so when I see them together I tend to appreciate the package even if I can't figure out the interfaces.
Rated 07 May 2011
This is a very tense, artistic film. It had the same atmospheric feel as a horror movie, but there were no scares; it was a different kind of unease. It's the type of movie that, if it were not made as well as Altman was able, could've been very dull and uninteresting; instead, not to sound cliche, it grabs hold of you from start to finish.
Rated 18 Jan 2015
Paranoid, hazy, mysterious, tense, funny, intimidating, upsetting, scary - everything a memorable dream can be, tied together with 2 exquisite roles played perfectly by Spacek/Duvall. The score was offputting, and though this does raise the tension and gives the film part of it's mood, it would have been a lot preferable in stark silence.
Rated 19 Feb 2024
A strange enigma of a movie. While it is quite fascinating, it also seems to me to have failed to establish any real presence; as scenes and moments flicker by, they just sort of disappear, so I'm not sure what to feel ultimately.
Rated 22 Dec 2007
A great atmosphere-piece by Altman in a very intuitive mood. Along with dealing with dreams, hallucinations and the fluidity of identity it's also, as I see it, a portrait of social alienation uncommonly found in such a sunny climate (which adds to the hazy mood). It's also predating David Lynch in many aspects (especially Mulholland Drive).
Rated 28 Sep 2011
Perfectly matches the feeling of a dream and a nightmare too. Sissy Spacek and Shelley Duvall are both great and I think David Lynch must've borrowed a good deal from this.
Rated 18 Jul 2007
entertaining and interesting but dated
Close to great. I didn't love it, but I really liked it. It plays a lot like a Bunuel film.
Rated 29 Dec 2010
The film is about dissatisfaction with self and the constant personal reinvention it inspires. People take on different personae, either subtly as with Duvall's character, or overtly as is the case when Spacek's character adopts her roommate's identity. The dream logic of the film is flavored by Altman's trademark deadpan cynicism and embrace of the murmured messiness of life. It lacks the offhand profundity of his best work, but it's fascinating nonetheless.
Rated 27 Jan 2016
My favorite Altman's movie, and simply one of my favorite movies. Altman "meets" Lynch.
Rated 24 Oct 2018
"It sure does look like Texas". And this feels like a Texas fever dream as imagined by a californian woman. Or three. Plays like Altman reaching for Bergman's PERSONA in his relaxed way; too bad this very tense yet hazy, eerie shape is betrayed by the obtrusive score.
Rated 02 Dec 2018
Great – eerie, uncanny and depressing, a very hard watch, I feel like I have to take a shower after watching it
Rated 20 May 2019
3 Women is gorgeous, well acted and fascinating, but also slow moving and somewhat inaccessible, if going in cold, so I appreciate that I read about the movie's kinship to Mulholland Drive - which (come to think of it) arguably is so close in style, setting and themes, that it almost could be considered a remake.
Rated 01 Jun 2020
Dreams. It doesn't matter, right?
Rated 16 Jan 2022
Altman's Persona
Rated 07 Jan 2021
w/ gurmes
Rated 17 Aug 2021
I had a good experience with this film, even though I thought it was somewhat flawed. I also thought it was funny, so I gave it a funny score.
Rated 13 Nov 2022
Starts strong with strange characters nevertheless based in reality, but becomes unnecessarily blurred.
Rated 12 Jan 2023
There's not much I liked about this film, with the discordant soundtrack definitely setting the off-kilter mood. Through most of it, it feels like Gaslight mixed with Persona, but the ending threw in a little from Carrie. The pool artwork was interesting. Fav moment: the father(?) saying "So what are we supposed to do now," which is how I felt when sitting down to write this review.
Rated 18 Jan 2023
I had no idea what to expect going into this but all I can say is wow. This might be my favorite Altman I've seen to date, including The Player (previously my favorite.) I love thriller type movies that have a strong atmosphere and this does that very well. While it's not horror, it kind of made me feel like Rosemary's Baby did at times. It's totally unpredictable and very weird in a good way. The ending is perhaps a bridge/twist too far, but what an experience. Duvall/Spacek are amazing.
Rated 01 Feb 2024
This movie was a masterpiece of uneasiness, attention grabbing mind-f**kery. It is now one of my favorite Altman films.

Directed by: