2002
Romance
After his latest relationship disaster, Matt, a guy who's never been able to finish anything, decides to go where no man's gone before and make a vow: No sex. Whatsoever. For 40 straight days. (Miramax)

2002
Romance

Rated 08 Feb 2012
I'm a married man and this is the plot you're going to present to me? 40 days without sex is going to be some sort of Mt. Everest challenge for you? I'm married. Why don't you make a movie about a guy that's going to try to go 40 days without sleeping in? I'm married and I have a two year old son. I'm married.
Rated 12 Jan 2010
Do you remember the boob-field dream sequence....? Unfortunately i do.
Rated 15 Oct 2015
pfff...40 days. i haven't had sex in 40 months! i, uh...i just wrote that for pun's sake, of course. *cough*
Rated 18 Jun 2007
I don't know why comedy central plays this movie so often.
40 days and forty nights? BFD. I'm on like four hundred and something.
Rated 23 May 2010
This movie is a slap in the face to every single in the world! This poor guy has to go without sex for 40 days and 40 night. Boo f...ing hoo. Try going without air for 40 days and 40 nights and I might be impressed!
Rated 12 Apr 2008
Shannyn Sossamon is fucking cute. This film was shit.
Rated 01 Mar 2012
This came out when I was twelve. This was the first movie I masturbated to when I was twelve. Haven't seen it since. As such I've probably overrated it.
Saw the first half of this, but it was so stupid and crass I couldn't continue.
Bad.
Rated 19 Oct 2010
This movie puts a lot of stock into blowing your load. Is 40 days really that long? Realistically he might get a little grumpy after a week or something, but he wouldn't be having the meltdown this film tries to imply. Long story short, it sucks.
Rated 20 Aug 2011
Shannyn Sossamon hatrina bol keseden.
Rated 05 Aug 2011
Josh Hartnett is excellent. Very rewatchable.
Rated 30 Aug 2020
Rewatched it after almost 20 years. It is both sexist and dated. But also a well-crafted movie and comedy.
Rated 17 May 2011
As romantic comedies go, 40 Days and 40 Nights is smutty, sexist, and puerile.
Rated 22 Apr 2011
Gosh...What have you done, Josh Hartnett?
Rated 23 Mar 2011
Josh Hartnett continues to prove to the world he can't act one lousy movie at a time, this time in a teen comedy about a super stud who must remain chaste through lent to ultimately get a girl. The best part is when Hartnett fails at the end when his ex-girlfriend rapes him.
Rated 03 Jan 2011
Hartnett's in it, but his hair is bad (just stick to the Armani ad look, Josh!).
Rated 15 Dec 2010
The movie is lacking in a lot of things, story, script, acting, you name it. Every aspect of the story is exaggerated. There is anything is funny about this movie, even if someone forced something it could have been better. Enough said.
Rated 09 Nov 2010
It provides some cheap laughs, but it tries too hard to be hip (Look! The Internet!) and the profanity seems awkwardly forced. It will scream "early aughties" soon enough.
Rated 21 Oct 2011
Rated 03 Oct 2010
I was surprised by this film to see that there was absolutely no humour in this at all. No acts of complete and utter degradation came along to salvage this filth about an on-off-like-binary-code relationship (the sort of romance that pisses me off to no end). To be honest, I didn't watch the whole movie, but no ending could've recovered this movie unless both characters realised they'd never be satisfied in love or lust and decided to go on a homicidal-suicidal rampage.
Rated 26 Aug 2010
#00s(e)#, popcorn, story, (Shannyn S)
Rated 13 Dec 2020
A bad case of 90s. Loved the visual side
Rated 04 May 2010
Flat piece of $hit.
Rated 14 Mar 2010
Criticker gave me a PSI of 65 for this film. My feelings are hurt.
Rated 04 Mar 2010
Let us admit that the story is ridiculous, exaggerated, implausible. Let us admit that no city and no company could be so chock full of beautiful women. Having said that, there is some good material here, particularly the satire on the ubiquity of the internet (an ad for one dotcom or another is in virtually every scene), and some of the stranger fantasies and scenarios that crop up over the course of the film.
Rated 03 Feb 2010
Huh? So this is what it's like to have a stroke.
Rated 13 Aug 2022
Agreeable enough rom-com teeters between silly gross-out antics and attempts at sincerity; a more pleasant watch than its "high-concept" would lead you to believe, especially thanks to Hartnett (preparing to usher in the Hemsworths) and Sossamon who create an enjoyably breezy chemistry within their relationship; indeed where the film falters is in its too breezy and relaxed tempo, which almost leaves its audience pondering what the point of the film is by the mid-mark!
Rated 07 Jul 2012
Good comedy
Rated 24 Dec 2013
the acting was pretty awful, the plot was completely ridiculous and the characters, especially the ex-girlfriend were all very one-dimensional, it started out as a mediocre film and just got worse and worse
Rated 06 Jun 2013
Oh shit, a woman raped him. That's horrible. Not the reason for the review. I am just noting it.
Rated 15 Apr 2013
This is the movie that pretty much said "rape is funny if it's a woman doing it," right?
Rated 21 Mar 2013
Kinda sweet but definitely not a must-see...
Rated 09 Jan 2013
Where to begin? Awful script. Just awful. The plot rotates around setup>temptation>drama> reconciliation about 5 times. It's utterly formulaic, there's a really terrible ending, the jokes aren't funny, and not even a few clever directorial tricks can brighten up the performance of Josh Hartnett, who is as charismatic and relateable as a sponge. A good concept for a film potentially squandered. The nadir of the 90s-00s teen sex comedy boom. Fucking dire. Danny fucking Dire.
Rated 07 Nov 2012
40 Days and 40 Nights isn't a good film. It's a mediocre romantic comedy at best, complete with all of the clichés and tropes that come along with the genre. It features a lead that doesn't understand the meaning of the word charisma, misses an opportunity to be something greater, and just isn't particularly funny. It's embarrassing, really, and I can't recommend it for any reason.
Rated 07 Aug 2017
Only occasionally funny but mostly just crass, 40 days and 40 nights is a romantic comedy that doesn't really like romance.
Rated 26 Oct 2012
* Casting, Acting : 7 * Script : 7 * Directing, Aura : 6 * Ease of Viewing : 7 * Naked Eye : 7
Rated 05 Jun 2015
sad to see how much emphasis is given to sex. making fun about, that trying to meet somebody without hopping into the sack right a way, but to get to know him/her first, is reticules to me, in the movies and in life. that to me is not funny at all! that shows me only how shallow we have become as people with each other! SAD all around!
Rated 16 Jul 2018
There are a few funny parts in this complete unrealistic flick. It is filmed well and the actors seem to be having a good time, and there is some nice eye candy splashed in, and remember it's just a silly comedy not to be taken seriously.
Rated 28 Jun 2012
Male rape is funny lol
Rated 10 May 2012
40 days, 40 nights, 40 points.
Rated 05 Sep 2009
For lil grls who fell in love with Josh (but still one of the better of all teen comedies)
Rated 30 Apr 2012
Rubbish, childish... what else ?
Rated 18 Apr 2020
Aside from the fact that Josh Hartnett is where charisma goes to die (was Freddie Prinze jr busy? Hell, I would've rather had Paulo Costanzo in the lead) this film is actually not bad. A pretty good idea that is charming and funny enough to get by.
Rated 19 Apr 2020
Charming despite the lead actors failing wrt being charming. I like how the climax of the movie is Hartnett literally getting r*ped and then getting in trouble because of it from his manic pixie dream girl. Somehow this one had slipped thru the cracks for me.
Rated 26 Oct 2011
"The misunderstandings are all thankfully low on the "Three's Company" scale while Hartnett and Sossamon's chemistry is undeniably potent." - Ed Gonzalez
Rated 21 Jul 2007
What a dumb fucking idea.
I could probably go 40 DAYS AND 40 NIGHTS without seeing this inoffensive but fairly mediocre comedy again!
Unfunny. Some nice tits though.
a film with virtually no redeeming qualities.
This was a fun little movie. The acting wasn't great, and the story wasn't all that original, but it's definitely a nice little date movie.
Good story line, I don't know of my men who would able to last that long.
Not a bad watch for a younger crowd, sort of mindless but funny enough. Pretty hot rose scene.
So this dude can get laid by any woman he wants, and he chooses Shannyn Sossamon? No way. Not happening. She's disgusting in appearance. This movie sucks.
Here we are provided with a smart, unique comedy led by Josh Hartnet, who moved through the film in a casually dumbfounded manner. Entertaining? Maybe for some. Are the filmmakers trying to hard? I think so...
This is just overall bad. Not funny, not interesting, not moving, not nothing.
Ugh.
Rated 15 Sep 2007
Unfunny comedy with a few sexy moments. It's only worth watching for Shannon and whoever played the roommate.
Rated 09 Jun 2007
I like how he was raped and no one cared...wtf?
Rated 08 Jun 2007
I reallllly don't like this movie.
Rated 01 May 2007
Boring and unfunny. It wants to be but it isn't.
Rated 06 Apr 2007
Terrible in almost every way, the only vow worth keeping is the one you'll make to stay away from idiotic sex comedies. If you're smart you'll start that vow before viewing this one.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
Honestly, it is not that hard to go 40 days without sex. The basic premise completely breaks down. Josh Hartnett needs some serious help.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
Barely funny. Only reason it gets a 28 is because Josh Hartnett is pretty cool.
Rated 24 Feb 2007
Lame excuse for main character to not have sex in order to make the love between him and someone else have additional tension. This is a standard romance movie with a bad gimmick, avoid it at all costs unless you like the romance genre (pro-tip: I do not).
Rated 21 Jan 2007
Terrible.
Rated 20 Jan 2007
I remember more about the person with from that day than I remember about the movie itself.
Rated 25 Jan 2009
Amusing
Rated 21 Oct 2009
ger; [40 Tage und 40 Nächte]; matt will 40 tage keusch leben, da er sich aus seiner geistig und emotionalen krise befreien will.
Rated 05 Oct 2009
It was a decent film, but could have been better with the storyline it had!
Rated 03 Dec 2006
Guilty pleasure.
Rated 03 Aug 2009
Worth watching.
Rated 29 Jul 2009
40 days, 40 nights, 40 score
Rated 28 Jul 2009
The only saving grace are the two leads.
Rated 22 Jul 2009
I like it because of my schoolboy crush on Sossamon, and some of the scenes where Hartnett really struggles with his celibacy are funny.
Rated 18 Apr 2009
painful...
Rated 13 Apr 2009
"A neat subversion of the teen comedy that's let down by a miscast Hartnett and a savagely miscalculated climactic scene (oo-er) which actually sees our hero getting raped. Sorry, but it does. Oh, for the acerbic wit of the Lehmann of Heathers fame..."
Rated 20 Feb 2009
Blah.
Rated 03 May 2008
ugh fuck this
Rated 04 Mar 2008
A very funny and smart comedy that avoids becoming too slapstick. It accomplishes exactly what it set out to do.
Rated 24 Feb 2008
Lack some points, lack some logic, but watchable if you ignore that.
Rated 02 Feb 2008
sea of boobies!
Rated 17 Oct 2007
Love Josh Hartnett...didn't like the movie. The storyline was awful and the script was just as bad.
Rated 08 Oct 2007
Comedy that does not makes you laugh, then do not goes well. A film with a simple plot, sexy, but that is funny, in a little moments.