1963
Avg Percentile 75% from 4329 total ratings

Inventive meditation on the creative process and on the male mind.
Rated 06 Jul 2008
A beautiful work, the flashback/dream sequences are something that I cannot get out of my mind. The topic is a bit dull, but Fellini made it very interesting with dynamic characters and unmatched cinematography. Additionally, Anouk Aimée is absolutely gorgeous (Fellini tried to make her look unattractive in order to fit her role, actually). Whisper to me in Italian, please!
Rated 27 Feb 2010
Personal, very, very personal. It's simply impossible not to see Fellini himself inhabiting every corner of the film, watching from the shadows in any one of the masterfully lit scenes that 8 1/2 is filled with, or listening to the birds along with Guido as the film exercises its precise implementation of sound. The story itself is harrowing, and it is up to the viewer to follow Guido, not to understand him, or to observe him coolly, but to experience his own confusion and loss.
Rated 25 Jun 2008
Huh? Did I miss something? This was like the cinematic version of free jazz. I didn't understand a thing, and it was hardly fun to watch.
Rated 12 Oct 2012
A peek inside the mind of The Creative Artist where memories, dreams, and experiences indulge in an orgy to produce a thing of beauty called imagination, which in turn ignites the creative process. A film which is an ode to the most potent agent of change in the world- The Creator's Mind. A Film which pushed me into the ocean of cinema and changed my life for good !
Rated 23 Jan 2012
On the plotless if not sometimes pointless side. Lots of attractive people though, and nice cinematography and enjoyable dream sequences if you're willing to go with it. Better than La Dolce Vita, less good than Giulietta degli spiriti.
Rated 09 Jan 2024
About arts and the shame of virility, similar theme to LA DOLCE VITA, but presented here with a much deeper sense of intimacy and the indistinguishability between cinema and life/memory/fantasy: the result is a private, reflective dream showing the great sublimity and danger of cinema and the tragedy of it all at the height of their beauty and torment. Both diving in and withdrawing from the carousel of meanings and images are great dangers of life - but aren't they exactly life as shame itself?
Rated 13 Oct 2019
After his international smash La Dolce Vita, Federico Fellini found himself saddled with a case of director's block, inspiring him to make 8 1/2, about fictional director Guido Anselmi's case of director's block, that made visible the intimate workings of creativity. 8 1/2 is the best film ever made about filmmaking.
Rated 05 Apr 2021
I admire it and I hate watching it
Rated 22 Sep 2022
Watching this is like stuffing your face at an all-you-can-eat buffet; you can’t discriminate between the constituent parts, you feel bloated and sick by the end of it, and you question why you did it. It's almost as if Fellini has vomited his ideas into cinematic form. However, the finale is without a doubt a consummating experience. It’s possible that my rating will increase on further viewings, for like the glutton I will invariably return to this buffet, but I'll need a pallet cleanser.
Rated 09 Mar 2021
Asa nisi masa.The "confusion" of the plot reflects the confusion of the protagonist wich reflects Fellini's indecision during the writing of the movie itself. Loved it
Rated 28 Dec 2007
Another one of my favorite movies.
Rated 21 Nov 2012
I know exactly how he feels, and hate myself for knowing.
Rated 01 Nov 2011
classic
Rated 04 Apr 2012
I love the existentialist and absurdist undertones. Very surreal.
Rated 30 Jul 2009
One moment can change entire universe. A moment of inspiration. A moment of everything.
Rated 11 Aug 2012
Surreal and confusing at times but Fellini and Mastroianni constantly make me smile with this film's clever and often lighthearted elegance. Rota's outstanding score and the supporting role of Claudia Cardinale don't hurt either.
Rated 21 Jul 2010
I saw this film in a film class. It has stuck with me forever, but I haven't been able to find it at any video stores or online. :(
Rated 03 Jan 2010
Made a lot more sense than it did when I watched it as a teenager. I can see why filmmakers like this so much.
Rated 16 Oct 2007
BOOOOOORING
Rated 02 Jan 2007
Maybe if I spoke Italian.
Rated 08 Oct 2010
Fellini's masterpiece.
Rated 03 Aug 2011
A great movie that could be very off-putting at first, but remove all the layers and you'll be rewarding.
Federico Fellini's looks at man who is struggling with his resent success at work and love; a man stuck in the resent past while trying to step into the future.
Rated 23 Feb 2012
The climax of this film is so brilliant that it brings the score up by 10 points all on its own.
Rated 13 Oct 2020
Bizarre in the best way possible.
Rated 29 May 2015
One of the most overrated films of all time. Why should I care about this egomaniacal director and how bored he is with his life? If you're hankering for some Fellini, watch Amarcord instead.
Rated 14 Mar 2023
I think it was the point to have a cast of caricatures swirling around Guido. Sadly he inspired neither my sympathy nor my revulsion, and that wasn't enough for me to follow one lone character through over 2 hours of film. The cinematography may have been good, but rarely was it to my tastes either. Many may love this movie, but on first viewing I could not.
Rated 09 Jan 2016
Rated 11 Dec 2009
A complex, stimulating, adventurous masterpiece.