A.I. Artificial Intelligence

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

2001
Sci-fi

Re-watched June 2018: a picaresque that journeys through childhood, the world of adult sexuality and violence, and death, with varying amounts of thoughtfulness, but what makes this seem a little better than I remember it is the understanding that the question of "real AI" is not whether it can have "feelings", but whether it is capable of dreaming new dreams of what has never existed. Some of the narrative mechanics are a little clunky, but it also develops some poetic and affective power.
Rated 09 Sep 2016
A flawed but fascinating minor masterpiece from Spielberg and Kubrick. It blends classic sci-fi themes with fantastic visuals and exceptional performances to create a beautifully haunting experience. The much-debated final sequence is far darker and more profound than most people realize.
Rated 21 Jan 2010
My score for this one might have been somewhat inflated by Jonathan Rosenbaum's insightful review, which brought me to think of this film as a flawed yet poetically resounding work; a particularly oedipal Pinocchio-meets-2001: A Space Odyssey. Still, how sad that Kubrick didn't live (until 2001, perhaps, which would have been something...) to direct this himself, maybe with Spielberg on board as a sentimental navigator. Something about it just feels like it failed to meet its full potential.
Rated 31 Dec 2008
The best thing about Spielberg is he'll always make you forget you're watching a movie; he'll always engross you with storytelling and filmmaking that looks so effortless. But what probably keeps A.I.'s head consistently above water is Haley Joel Osment's performance. It's the best of his I've ever seen, he just embodies David so remarkably. The film has its flaws to be sure, and maybe the last half hour stretches the suspension of disbelief even in the sci-fi setting, but I wouldn't change it.
Rated 01 Apr 2007
Beautiful. I bawled like a little boy when I saw it. I just about died of embarrassment, for I saw it on the big screen and was wearing my _Evil Dead_ T-shirt at the time
Rated 27 Mar 2007
Though flawed, attempts to ask one of the true questions of scifi as literature. Child as the protagonist in a movie is not a new idea, but still explored. When that child is a simulacra himself, we are on the new ground. Spielberg just had the guts to make some suggestions, never with a full sentence and in the foggy realm of fairy tales. Multiple endings arise from the sentencelessness dillema. It would have well been over 40 minutes earlier.
Rated 08 Aug 2011
One of the most unjustly chastised films in Spielberg's ouevre. "Sentimental" ending aside (a charge both highly contentious and equally reductive), this is a magnificent fairy tale, wedding influences such as Pinocchio and The Wizard of Oz to the philosophical and humanist inquiries of Solaris and Blade Runner. It boldly wears its emotions on its sleeve, but the tone always suits the material. The final sequence runs a bit too long, but the rest is wonderful. Spielberg's best.
Rated 03 Mar 2007
An underrated film. I think it'll be appreciated more as time passes.
Rated 16 Mar 2016
Maybe the best directed film of Spielberg's career - which is not something I say lightly! An astonishingly ambitious work that plunges headfirst into the darkest depths of existentialism, whilst co-starring an anthropomorphic teddy bear and a love-bot played by Jude Law.
This film really has no idea what it's supposed to be and where it wants to go.
Rated 27 Nov 2008
This movie refuses to end. The narration is corny and Jude Law is uncomfortably bad to watch. Spielberg's commitment to the Pinnochio thing becomes jarring I wish he would've abandoned it cause it does not work at all. You are a robot dumbass, you can't be real...isn't he supposed to be intelligent? If I hear Haley Joel Osment say mommy ever again I'm going to kill myself.
Rated 01 Jun 2016
I've never seen such devotion in a droid before. Well, once. But that was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.
Rated 24 Feb 2013
My favourite Spielberg. I find the ideas it explores fascinating (and very relevant) and the manner in which it explores them to be both highly compelling and incredibly affecting. It's a film that is not without flaws but personally I find so much rewarding about the film that the flaws can't really stop me from respecting and loving it. I adore the ending which is deceptively sentimental and remarkably dark, leaving David in the same situation Monica was in at the beginning.
Rated 10 Nov 2012
Kubrick in its pacing and awe, Spielberg in its intimate emotional punch and lighthearted fantasy. The combination create a singular motion picture experience: it goes beyond what any other movie has, into the personally profound where, if you view it properly, it will both disturb and touch you; amaze, crawl under your skin and make you think. A shockingly relevant and criminally underrated masterpiece.
This movie holds special interest to me as it explores many philosophical concepts of intelligence, what it takes to be human, and what it means to be 'alive.' It's one of the most underrated movies ever.
Rated 10 Jan 2009
Grossly underrated. As years go by and AI advances this movie may get even more relevant but it's not all technology. It's also an unorthodox view of the childhood itself - the clash between the call for adventure and the need for security shown through the eyes of a child of the technological age. You can clearly distinguish Kubrick's and Spielberg's parts but I would argue this separation is more of an enhancement to the overall experience than an obstacle.
Rated 08 Feb 2008
End. End. Just end. Fucking End already! Movie. Stop NOW. Yeah yeah yeah, Pinnocchio references, I get it already. Please just be over.
Rated 20 Dec 2009
Possibly the worst piece of science fiction I have ever seen. A mild form of torture.
Rated 16 Feb 2010
More Kubrickian than most gave it credit for. The ending, which I initially misread, is actually perfect, and challenges our conception of humanity.
Rated 02 Mar 2010
Repeat with me: this movie is only 116min long. Keep saying it, so hard, you just push the stop button in that moment when watching it. Don't ask. Trust me.
Rated 03 Mar 2007
Starts out pretty good: David is an unsettling presence and the dynamics of how he relates to his "family" is intriguing. Things go wrong in the second act, which is mostly adventure story and CGI jizz-fest. The third act seems promising, but it ends too quickly and takes us to the most contentious section: the epilogue. Spielberg milks it for sentimentality, reducing it to a simple theme. In the end, it's a movie that raises a few interesting ideas but squanders a lot of its potential.
Rated 10 Feb 2012
A lot of times people will say, oh, you didn't get it. Correct. I did not get it. What I did get, is that it ends twice, and the half hour before the second ending is pretty useless. Spoiler alert: he's a robot.
Rated 23 Apr 2009
"This is not about the shadow of Stanley Kubrick but the bright, burning light of Spielberg's filmmaking genius. Difficult and challenging, it is also profound, extraordinary and visually astounding. Tally it up and you've got a very unusual masterpiece."
Rated 06 Dec 2018
Confused, the film like a little robot boy stumbles around in awe of the ideas it wants to chase and explore, yet never quite able to grasp any of them. Whispers of Bladerunner, of maternal horror, of world-building in a post-human world. In the end AI seems mostly unsure of its mission but a spectacle with enough going for it to warrant a watch.
Rated 26 May 2008
A good Kubrick movie ruined by Spielberg who had to tack on a false ending. Take my advice, and stop the movie when the kids is staring at the sign under water, and pretend the rest afterwards doesn't exist.
Rated 18 Jan 2010
Probably the easiest to watch 2 and a half hour long movie there is. Jude Law steals the show in my eyes, he owns that character. Also, Teddy has to be one of the best characters in any movie, I want my TV series based around him.
Rated 04 Mar 2007
Best Steven Spielberg film.
Rated 27 Apr 2009
This had all the makings of either a great movie, or just a good movie for the year, but everything completely falls apart and nothing comes together.
Rated 26 Jul 2010
Steven Spielberg's futuristic film is an improvement on "Minority Report" and also entertaining, clever, touching and well-acted, featuring some great performances by Haley Joel Osment as well as Jude Law.
Rated 22 Sep 2011
A.I. starts off well, and continues to be a very good film for most of its runtime. It has a perfect moment when it should have ended, but didn't, instead continuing when it shouldn't, taking a direction that it likely should have forgotten about. The lead actor didn't make me believe, but the side actors made up for that. The visuals are great, and the world created is awe-inspiring. It just doesn't hold together when you look at the way it ends.
Pity it couldn't have been entirely Kubrick's.
Rated 18 Dec 2009
Wasted potential.
Rated 09 Jul 2009
(2nd viewing) Resolves itself nicely after an incredible contrived and increasingly tedious first half and the Kubrick inspired aesthetics are often breathtaking. A mixed bag.
Rated 21 Sep 2010
While it is a tad overlong and the ending(s) turn some people off, I for one have no issues with Spielberg's modern day Pinnochio take. Also, who better to pull it off than the mainstream master of childhood wonder?
Disappointed: good idea, some fantastic moments, but boring and verbose...
Rated 28 Jun 2014
Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I really liked the last twenty minutes. Such an abstract turn isn't too far-fetched for me in a film that's ultimately about humanity itself. The biggest issue is that each act of the film feels like its own distinct movie, with the Flesh Fair sequence being ultimately blunt and stupid. A film about Gigolo Joe could be fascinating, but here his inclusion seems to stem from Kubrick's liner notes. There is a masterpiece within this concept, but not here.
Rated 31 May 2007
I don't think Spielberg was up to the potential of this story. It's interesting, but would have been better in the hands of a director with a vision as dark as that of the writer's. The third act is just dreadful.
Rated 18 May 2009
Has aged well. I can see it getting more recognition in later years. Main issue is scenes tend to drag longer than they should. Heart wrenching tale.
Very nice
Rated 13 Jan 2010
So many special-effects, so little fun. Skip it.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
The creepy and awesome teddy bear was the high point in this movie. It's like no one knew how to end it, so they just made shit up.
Rated 14 Oct 2013
More ambitious than successful. It reaches to be a sci-fi masterpiece and the definitive film on defining humanity. While it doesn't succeed, it's still one of the better explorations of the blurred line separating humans and machines. Also, let's all just agree that the film ended in the ocean and ignore the rest.
Rated 23 Mar 2011
This is the worst movie ever made. I'm still waiting for it to end.
Rated 16 Jun 2011
There are a bevy of interesting ideas and visuals here, but the execution leaves something to be desired. It's nauseatingly sentimental, with a lot of cheesy dialogue delivered in sappy whispers. There's also something awkward in its pacing, which feels too stilted to support such an epic scope.
Rated 31 Dec 2008
A cool visually appealling movie about the future. The robot rally thing was an awesome way to portray rednecks in the future. The teddy bear was absolutely horrifying. Jude Law was absolutely perfect. But the whole story has just been done before, and I kind of thought the ending was just stupid.
Rated 05 Mar 2007
There was much potential here, but Spielberg couldn't quite bring it all out. Would Kubrick have been able to do so? Yes, I think he would.
This movie would've gotten like a 95 if Steven Spielberg didn't shit it up 3/4 the way through. Fucking hack.
Rated 05 Nov 2008
Overblown, much too long.
This movie would have been better if they had rewritten all of Osmet's lines to "I can see dead people."
Rated 04 Jan 2010
Snnnooooooze....A.I., AGONIZINGLY INANE!
Rated 22 Jul 2009
I think I was the only person that enjoyed this.
Rated 04 Aug 2008
good movie
Rated 02 Mar 2011
Although it has a confusing mix of tones, still this film is brilliant and thoughtful. I loved it. What does one do when the purpose of his life rejects him?
Rated 19 Mar 2020
One of the most confusing movies I've seen in a while I think the main issue is it has too many different ideas going on at one time Yet despite my complaining there is something oddly touching about a robot who wants to be a real boy At the end of the day not very good
Rated 07 Dec 2014
In a weird, not-so-past future, George Orwell (played by Stanley Kubrick) and Pinocchio (Steven Spielberg) parent a child named Haley. Morality and theology aside, at least the future has robot hookers.
Rated 10 Jul 2012
A curious, not always seamless, amalgamation of Kubrick's chilly bleakness and Spielberg's warm-hearted optimism, A.I. is, in a word, fascinating.
Incredibly boring, and also the worst ending to a movie ever.
Rated 31 Jan 2009
thought provoking
Rated 12 Feb 2009
Not as bad as everyone say.
Rated 03 Mar 2008
Extremely underrated sci-fi masterpiece.
Rated 12 Jan 2012
For the most part, I really enjoyed this movie. I loved the first half, liked the third quarter and wasn't really sure exactly what I felt about the last quarter. The visual effects were really great overall. I thought Haley Joel Osment was good. Two things I really disliked were Chris Rock's and Robin Williams' cameos - tacky and took me right out of the story. But all in all, a touching, well-made film with an epic scope. Also, I loved Teddy.
Rated 04 Jul 2014
Was there a chance in hell critics weren't go to spooge all over Kubrick's pet project? Mankind's brillliant first A.I. duplicates humans in every way, but someone forgot to program him 2 not be monstrously creepy & stand over u with a pair of scissors while ur sleeping. He could've also used some kind of warning sticker 2 not let him near any bodies of water lest he drag u 2 ur death after he falls in. As for that ending? Apparently it's meant 2 b advanced robots, but how the f-ck can we tell?
Rated 30 Sep 2013
Seems a bit too long and the ending is a bit ridiculous (even though I loved it).
Rated 20 Mar 2009
Kubrick's ending is perfect. The film is the ultimate tribute to both directors' work.
Rated 01 Jan 2013
Well, it tried. I'm gonna give it points for trying.
Slow, confusing, ugly, sad, brutal, unsettling, unsatisfying... Brilliant.
Rated 08 Jun 2009
Hey Joe! What do you know? The Pinocchio story taken to the future, and it kind of works, although it's a bit melodramatic.
Rated 18 Jan 2007
futuristic pinocchio and i saw what can happen to the world near future
Rated 18 Dec 2011
I remember watching this when I was younger. I thought it was a pretty cool movie. I'd like to revisit and watch this again soon.
Rated 22 Dec 2013
Rated 04 Oct 2010
if not just only for that scene which he waits thousands of years for the fairy to get answer.
Rated 21 Aug 2009
It would have been so much better if the movie had ended just a bit earlier. Still, overall very watchable movie, especially when I did not really know what to expect.
Rated 29 Jan 2015
Would have been one of the best sci-fi's if the ending wasn't there. It just breaks everything about the movie.
Rated 26 Nov 2011
This film really wrestles with me. It seems like such a magnificent masterpiece that's HUGELY flawed with massive bugs. The moral and thematic conceptions are interesting to me, but their worn on the sleeves on this film so largely rather than be driven by a storyline; which is why I like Jude Law's section (middle act) more (and as always Jude Law rocks). But some of the moments in the start and end feel amazing, but forced, which is ... an unusual position to be in.
Rated 23 Sep 2009
The first part of the movie is great (like could be if made by Kubrick) but the latter part if awful.
Rated 02 Jun 2013
Loved it my first viewing. Kind of slower on repeat attempts unfortunately.
If Cubrick did this instead of crapy jew, who would know what it would be. Kid acts fantastic, Law also, but screenplay is far from good. Gataca with similar point is much better.
Rated 17 Aug 2010
a heartbreaking movie
Rated 01 Sep 2012
Spielberg ruins a Kubrick project.
Rated 15 Jun 2013
A lengthy sci-fi flick where the characters are creepy and/or annoying and the scientists are trying hard to teach the robots human emotions like "love" and "unhealthy obsession." With a preposterous chain of events--preposterous even by sci-fi standards--leading to a bewildering bathetic ending calculated to wring tears from the audience like a wet rag being wrung on wash day.
Rated 17 Dec 2008
Love it!
Rated 01 Sep 2010
If it ended about ten minutes earlier, it would be a much better movie, there is still something there.
Rated 27 May 2013
A strange combination of Drama and Science Fiction that mirrors the story of Pinocchio. There are a lot of strange cameos, my favorite being Meryl Streep doing the voice of the Blue Fairy. Jude Law was especially good in this as Joe the Gigolo. It's a really long movie and takes a really strange turn at the end, but it is mostly enjoyable. The one thing that this movie teaches is that humans better not create real living A.I. because we'll treat them worse than we treat each other now.
Rated 05 Dec 2014
Beautiful movie, if a tad contrived and predictable. Like much of Spielberg's work, it's prettier than it is meaningful, and the flashy direction is almost enough to distract from the cliched plot. Great casting call on Osment.
Rated 19 Aug 2009
A loooooong movie with no passion
Rated 18 Feb 2010
A sci-fi fairy tale that doesn't quite live up to its potential. Despite several moments of greatness, the introduction isn't smooth, some of the events don't mesh well, and the themes of existentialism sometimes feel like they clash with the sentimentality.
Rated 11 Oct 2010
Witness the beautiful tower of Kubrick destroyed by the wrecking ball of Spielberg.
spielberg is over rated
Rated 05 Dec 2011
Another Spielberg letdown... Skip if you can
Rated 25 Jul 2009
The first third was crap, the second third was good bordering on great, and the final third was silly.
Rated 17 Dec 2010
If it weren't for the tacked on ending, this movie would have lived on as a hard science fiction cult classic.
Rated 30 Jul 2007
Dull Dull Dull
Rated 07 Oct 2013
yo was makin out haaard durin this one
Rated 20 Mar 2007
Steven Spielberg put a lot of heart into this dark sci-fi fantasy about a future full of robots. Not up there with his classics, but still worth seeing.
Rated 09 Oct 2012
Good futuristic approach, slightly scary.
Rated 30 Jul 2012
Brilliant effects, Law and Osment give great 'uncanny valley' performances. Absorbing story that pushes for a weepy ending; perhaps pushes a little too hard -'breaks' things for some- but over all I really enjoyed this.
Rated 22 Mar 2007
It is most definitely epic, but I could never fully attach to the film even though the concept is fundamentally an interesting one. Somehow it lacks the charm of other similar films and in my opinion suffers for it. Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but this sure isn't Spielberg's best.
Rated 25 Feb 2010