Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

1994
Adventure

Rated 08 Feb 2008
Liked this when I was 15. Further illustrating my belief that all teenagers are idiots.
Rated 11 Jul 2014
Jim Carrey is really off the wall in this one, but you know what? I laughed my arse off! Ace Ventura: Pet Detective may not have excellent writing like (some) other comedies, but this movie is eternally quotable and there are quite a few hilarious scenes. This movie fits 'like a glove.'
Rated 09 Apr 2021
Ace Aventura 3 Laces Out If I'm not cancelled in five minutes by twitter... just wait longer. This movie was not appropriate to give to a six year old, 1994 me was swinging around talking out his butt and hooting about big ol’ Mr Knish.
Rated 02 Dec 2015
This movie is hilarious... if you're 12.
Rated 01 Mar 2010
Undeniably juvenile, but funny and entertaining comedy stars Carrey as a goofy, wildly eccentric pet detective hired to find the missing Miami Dolphins mascot. Aimed mostly at fans who really enjoy silly humor, others will probably find it lame and tiresome. The film belongs to Carrey and his constant outrageousness. Sure-fire entertainment for fans of this genre.
Rated 28 Mar 2012
I see that a lot of people have backtracked on this movie, and as holds true with most comedies, perhaps subsequent viewings can be less kind. But please. Just admit to me these three things: 1. When you first saw it, you laughed your ass off. 2. You had never seen anything like it in your life. 3. This was the movie to quote that summer. CAN YOU FEEL IT, CAPTAIN COMPOST?!
Age has really altered my perspective, I used to love this movie. It still has some great goofy funny moments, but even for this genre it's really dumb.
Rated 29 Jan 2012
I have this ranked higher than any other movie where a grown man talks out of his butt. Although a few Ben Affleck movies come close.
Rated 07 Mar 2015
The titular character is undoubtedly the highlight here; outrageous facial expressions and bodily movements combine with huge hair, Hawaiian shirts, a quick wit, and savvy sleuthing skills to make one of Carrey's most entertaining personas. The hilarious Ventura and his animal friends join some cocky cops, a ravishing reporter, and quarterback Dan Marino in this wacky but surprisingly well-crafted sports-tinged mystery that's a lot of fun to watch.
Rated 13 Feb 2012
I dressed up as Ace Ventura for Halloween in fourth grade. Still proud of that costume
Anyone who claims they never enjoyed this movie is a filthy liar! (Or at least anyone who saw it as a kid.) It's not an intelligent film by any stretch and it's extremely aged, but the energy of Jim Carrey's performance is, love it or hate it, really something. He grabs onto the viewer's attention and owns the frame.
Rated 08 Feb 2008
Why does Jim Carrey punish me? What did I ever do to him?
Rated 16 Dec 2011
This is classic early Jim Carrey. It is a very funny film with numerous laughs and Carrey in his outstanding over the top form. If you are a fan of Carrey's comedies then check this film out.
Rated 21 Jun 2010
My parents could never get me to stop watching this when I was a kid. I would mimic all his moves and lines. Mose people find this movie retarded. And it is, really. But, so what.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
I have always found this very funny. The character of Ace Ventura is not to everyones taste, but you have to admire the comic performance from Carrey. In particular I love the opening scene to this movie where Ventura is kicking the parcel around! It looks a little cheap nowadays, but that doesn't take away from the wacky humour and comic genius that occasionally shines through in this movie.
Rated 30 Jul 2009
What an annoying movie....
Rated 09 Apr 2018
You'll love it or you'll hate it. Jim Carrey's over the top style of comedy is in full force in this early showcase for his remarkable talent. It's loaded with slapstick and low brow humor. Again, for fans of Carrey it doesn't get much better. All others need not apply. There isn't much else to be found in Ace Ventura besides Jim Carrey.
If you like absurd and low-brow slapstick comedy then this is right up your alley. There's not much else to really say about the film. Go in ready to laugh at stupid stuff and you'll be well entertained.
Rated 17 Aug 2010
A guilty pleasure--I laugh from the minute I turn this movie on. One of Carrey's funniest characters. A must see!
Great movie. Dumb and entertaining as anything I've ever watched.
Rated 05 Feb 2015
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective stands out dramatically as one of Jim Carrey's wackiest films. Like with 'Liar Liar' but to an even greater degree, there's the impression that Jim Carrey was told he could do absolutely whatever he wanted. It's as if all his wackiness had been bottled up and unloaded here. As a kid of the the 90's I enjoyed Ace Ventura and the sequel. But looking back the Ace Ventura character is more memorable than the actual films. The off the wall humour was fun at the time though.
Rated 02 May 2018
Goofy hoofy hawhaw amusing.
Rated 27 Jun 2014
The laces were out in this excellent comedy. Jim Carrey was one of the kings of comedy in the 90's. He dominated all the big comedic movies. This is definitely one of his better films. It's A LOT better than the sequel. There ares as many funny jokes as there are animals in the film. I still quote this movie on a regular basis. Sean Young and Courteney Cox both were great female cast members...
Rated 07 Mar 2008
Dan Marino and a transvestite place kicker. Sounds plausible.
Rated 02 Sep 2009
Overacted to stupid comedic perfection.
Rated 17 Nov 2018
Jim Carrey towered over the comedy landscape of the 90s like a gurning pratfalling colossus, but it now seems like a lost continent. In the doom and gloom of today it's impossible to look back on this melarky without grimacing a little. Nonetheless, this is where it all began for him, and the world is better off with him in it, whatever form his participation takes. I wonder how youngsters feel about this film these days. Maybe they'll forgive our irreverence. It was just a different time.
Rated 29 Nov 2011
really funny.
Rated 30 Oct 2012
I'm a pretty huge Jim Carrey fan, so I'll forgive the silly plot. I liked this movie way more when I was a kid.
Rated 10 Apr 2011
It used to be that when Jim Carrey was stupid and sophomoric, that was a good thing. This film will make you laugh hard at least once unless you are hopelessly uptight. Because I like the movie, I choose to believe certain scenes are not intended as homophobic.
Rated 02 Feb 2007
I always loved the Ventura films (and all other crazy Carrey flicks really). It's just a good laugh, people need to stop trying to take them seriously. This is hilarious, anyway.
Rated 07 Feb 2007
Jim carey unleashed....whats not to like?
Rated 15 Jul 2021
I absolutely loved this movie as a kid. Now, two decades later, it still has me giggling and makes me feel nostalgic about the 90's.
Rated 19 Jul 2015
I LOVE THIS MOVIE!
Rated 19 Mar 2011
It's Jim Carrey in his most well known role, though I wish he was respected for his better work. Although I find Carrey hilarious in this movie, I can't say it's a very good movie. It's stupid fun, so don't go in expecting "Citizen Kane".
Rated 29 Aug 2011
Classic for me
Rated 20 Mar 2007
A good effort, but the sequel is marginally better in my opinion. Secretly (or not so) these Ace Ventura films are a massive guilty pleasure for me. Seen many repeated viewings over the years, but somehow they just keep on cheering me up. I know they're horrendously immature, but Carrey simply cracks me up every time. ASSS-HOLE-OMIOO!
Rated 25 Mar 2007
This movie slowly falls in entertainment value over time. Is Jim Carrey that crazy in a world that experienced and then dropped Tom Green?
Rated 30 Dec 2015
Great performance by Jim Carrey.
Rated 10 Jan 2013
Pretty much my most hated film ever. The amount of transphobia here that is played for comedy is downright scary.
Rated 13 Jun 2007
numbingly funny at parts
Rated 12 Sep 2020
Carrey was so confident as Ace that it plays like a star vehicle tailored specifically to his eccentric talent even though he wasn't a star in 1993. There is no cinematic value here whatsover, unlike the best work of his hero Lewis, so its appeal hinges solely on how one responds to Carrey. If you love him in manic-stupid mode, then AV is perfect for you. If not, too bad. This rating is a mix of this viewer's fondness for Carrey's crazy antics and misguided nostalgia for the comedies of youth.
Rated 22 Mar 2015
x2
Rated 24 May 2016
very nice
Jim Carrey acting like crazed schmuck and singing from his asshole.
Rated 30 Aug 2017
This film is tiring. The transphobic material really hasn't aged well in the past 25 years. Still, you can see why Carrey took a rocketship launched into superstardom.
Rated 14 Apr 2013
This hasn't aged well, like, AT ALL. There's a few chuckles here and there, the "Yes, Satan?" line still cracks me up, but for the most part it's just pretty irritating. Cannibal Corpse's cameo is the highlight. Pretty amusing to hear Hammer Smashed Face in a 12 rated movie.
Rated 17 Aug 2010
I don't remember very well the Ace Vetura's films but I can remember ttat Jim Carrey made me laugh a lot.
Rated 04 Dec 2016
Trans
Sometimes as kids we find things funny... as an adult... you realize how truly horrible they really were.
Rated 04 Sep 2010
Funny but the crassness and homophobic undertones can make large parts of it uncomfortable
Rated 23 Feb 2015
If you're reading reviews on this movie, STAHP! And just watch it already.
Rated 04 Jul 2009
By no means great film making, but still very funny the first time, but it is really dumb. Carrey, as usual, is as zany as he always is.
Rated 19 Nov 2011
Looking back on this is almost sad now, remembering all the anticipation everyone had for all the hilarious movies Jim Carrey might make. We got a little more, (The Mask, Dumb & Dumber) then he just got more boring and serious as time went on
As stupid as it is funny.
Rated 17 Jan 2011
Hilarious
Rated 03 Jun 2013
Held up better than I'd anticipated! Carrey's mugging is amazing forever.
Rated 30 Dec 2013
This is funny.
Rated 30 Aug 2007
Not as funny as I used to think but still gets some laughs from me.
Rated 11 Oct 2014
There are a couple of scenes I wish were omitted or different, but there's a ton of good content here and a fun plot.
Rated 20 Jan 2013
Jim Carrey makes out with a dude.
Rated 11 May 2011
Carrey at his most annoying.
Rated 19 Feb 2018
One of Jim Carrey's Crown performances.
Rated 07 Jan 2012
God, the things i would do to Jim in this movie.
Rated 25 Dec 2010
An odd comic concept. The man himself, Jim Carrey, is still odder: a spastic, rictus-afflicted, ducktailed rejectee from a Grease audition, whose mouth (and sometimes even voice) resembles Dan Aykroyd doing Dick Nixon. The physical comedy is quite inventive, or at least quite hard-working: the simple act of crossing a railed terrace, to the beat of the Mission Impossible theme, is transformed into a private little cliffhanging melodrama (quite childlike, too).
Rated 30 Aug 2011
Decent comedy, makes you laugh out loud!
Rated 23 Dec 2011
It was ok the first time, and for some reason it was a little better the second time around. That's why a decent ranking.
Rated 25 Feb 2017
The Jim Carrey '94 tour de force kicks off with a whirlwind force of his trademark brand of stupid silly nonsense. The South Florida setting is surprisingly pleasant as Ace Ventura: Pet Detective sets out on a mission to discover the missing Miami Dolphins' mascot.
Rated 29 Mar 2013
This was a very funny movie. Jim Carrey was hilarious. He was perfect for this role. Courtney Cox wasn't a bad choice either. The writing is just awesome. Screenplay is really funny. Although Jim Carrey is a little crazy in this, he's funny. There are some quotes that are really memorable, some others are not. Good job.
Rated 01 Mar 2013
Jim Carrey as Jim Carrey in a Jim Carrey movie starring Jim Carrey
Rated 18 Apr 2008
Carrey's at it again. Hilarious with barely a moment to breathe.
Rated 15 Nov 2017
Transphobia aside. Still great. Just one huge, massive flaw.
Rated 07 Jun 2011
Significantly better than the first one.
Rated 06 Jun 2013
As a child, the tucked away penis made no sense to me. Now I do, and I am surprised at how graphic it was. Well done Ace.
Rated 28 Jul 2008
Sometimes Jim Carrey is fantastic and other times he's irritating. File this one under irritating.
Rated 09 May 2014
Another solid Jim Carrey comedy, Ace Ventura 1 is a 90's comedy that still holds up today.
Rated 11 Dec 2011
Jim Carrey's comedies have a certain something to them - they're good fun, but they don't stay fresh after a lot of viewings. Ace Ventura was kind of his breakout performance, and it was a decent showcase of his style. It may not go down in history as his best film, but it will go down as one of his most notable characters.
Rated 20 Sep 2010
One high functioning schizophrenics brave fight to keep a dolphin in captivity. Was a fairly effective indie comedy at the time of it's release, but the re-watch value has plummeted with Carrey's overexposure. The "catchphrases" from this film are offensively embarrassing at this point. There are still a few laughs, "look they're little footballs" gets me every time. At this point the sequel may be funnier.
Rated 07 Nov 2009
The film has a very low mood and appealing, but Jim Carrey's character safe.
Rated 06 Nov 2011
I enjoyed this film. It is a classic comedy.
Rated 14 Apr 2014
This man could not exist in society.
Rated 10 Sep 2010
I liked it.
Rated 27 Nov 2006
I hadn't seen this for a long time, but I always remembered it as one of the best Jim Carrey films. Sad to say, it has aged quite poorly and many of the jokes would not fly today. There was also more emphasis on the detective side than I remembered, but the story is not very interesting, and it never reaches the right balance like e.g. Fletch did very well. It still works as a showcase for Carrey and demonstrates how he became the no. 1 comic of the mid to late 90's.
Rated 28 Oct 2012
The source of many a childhood nightmare. Very, super occasionally amusing, but not for an hour and a half.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Goofy, but sometimes funny.
Rated 25 Feb 2009
Kinda funny but not worth it.
Rated 24 Jul 2007
Such an odd premise for a movie. I really can't say much beyond that.
Absolutely the silliest in all of Jim Carrey's oevre. Love the hair, man.
Rated 16 Mar 2011
Jim Carrey, as a human, is one of the most annoying phenomenons to come along in my lifetime.
Rated 24 Jan 2010
Not exactly the worst film ever made, but Carry gets incredibly grating after awhile.
I'm not going to pretend that this is some sort of masterpiece. But it's a great vehicle for Jim Carrey and his humor; and it gets some good digs in before everything goes to hell in the second one.
Rated 28 Aug 2007
Jim Carrey's at his best, its also his presentation card. He also won a golden globe for his performacen in a comedy role for this movie
Rated 27 Jul 2010
Hey, I liked this film! Plus, Jim Carrey is hysterical. But of course, it's just one of those silly, brainlessly fun movies you watch when you're drunk.
Rated 01 Nov 2007
The more recent DVD release is missing the best scene in the movie.
Rated 18 Feb 2024
This is an endless cartoon-like movie where Jim Carrey goes through extreme extortions to carry out even the most minute tasks.
Rated 05 Jun 2009
This was funny when I was ten. Wait, no, it wasn't.
Rated 25 Jan 2009
Amusing
Rated 11 Mar 2008
A must see. This is the comedy which all the other comedies are rated against.
Rated 20 Dec 2018
It was only kind of funny when I was 17.
Rated 21 Sep 2010
Love that crawling out of the hippo part.
Rated 08 Jul 2008
The pinnacle of dumb comedy. Still, Jim Carrey's big breakthru, and pretty fun to watch.