2013
Sci-fi
Action
A crash landing leaves Kitai Raige and his father Cypher stranded on Earth, 1,000 years after events forced humanity's escape. With Cypher injured, Kitai must embark on a perilous journey to signal for help. (imdb)

2013
Sci-fi
Action

Rated 22 Sep 2013
In the future Earth has become a wasteland and the letter "r" has been deemed unnecessary ("suh, yes,suh" and "that ansuh was..."). Extra points to M. Night for not casting himself as Will Smith's son.
Rated 06 Jun 2013
Everything on this planet has evolved to kill humans...except the plants, birds, hogs, and buffalo. In fact most things won't try to kill you. You'll be fine unless you throw rocks like a dick.
Rated 01 Jul 2013
It's "take your kid to work" day 1000 years into the future, so robo-Will brings EMOTE-O SON 3000 to Planet Earth post The Happening, where all life has involved into CGI-rendingers of its former self, in what is either the laziest Sci-fi blockbuster in resent memory or the most hectic Mindfullness introduction video of all time.
Rated 24 Oct 2013
This movie is real. Watching it is a choice.
Rated 24 Aug 2013
Dad I'm scared, tell me what to do. Fuck you dad, I'll do what I want. Dad I'm scared, tell me what to do. Fuck you dad, I'll do what I want. Dad I'm scared, tell me what to do. Fuck you dad, I'll do what I want. Dad, dad? Fear is bad. All this with terrible accents.
Rated 12 May 2021
Not M. Night's worst movie, but it is certainly one of his least enjoyable. Will Smith's character isn't all that interesting and Jaden Smith, God bless him, isn't good enough to carry this movie. I see where the writers were going with the whole father-son dynamic, but maybe separating them for a majority of the movie wasn't the way to go about it. The visual effects range from horrible and good and a couple of plot points didn't make sense to me. Interesting premise, poor execution
Rated 28 Jun 2013
Will Smith's role is pretty uninteresting, and Jaden's adventure isn't exciting enough, either. Their relationship (the tough but well-meaning father who does truly care for his son but needs him to be strong) is hardly nuanced and the serious delivery in cheasy moments (the salute, for example) is likely to raise more than a snicker. The film feels short which was both underwhelming and sort of a relief.
Rated 05 Jun 2013
Jump into a flaming pit Shyamalan and take Jaden Smith with you. The last line's in this piece of shit "Dad, I WANNA WORK WITH MOM". Ha-Ha. Started hootin' and hollerin' when THAT part near the end happened with the you know what during the you know when, oh my lord. BIRD HAS FEELINGS.
Rated 02 Jun 2021
This film can't payoff anything it does. In the father and son relationship, the survivalism story, the references to Moby Dick, or even the world-building of the post apocalyptic environment. Conversations become arguments so abruptly that I was expecting Jake Lloyd from The Phantom Menace to appear and talk about Pod Races. All that makes it hard to find the emotional current or political statement that Shymalan goes for. Instead it winds up as a spiritual successor to Battlefield Earth.
Rated 31 May 2013
M. Night Shyamalan is the master of staging. Every shot is tense, rigid, frightening. And Gary Whitta has become the master of meaningful popcorn thrillers. Every word is chosen carefully, every action true. Pacing issues and a few failed scenes prevent the movie from being the sci-fi epic it could have been.
Rated 04 Jun 2013
For whatever little this is worth, this is hands-down the best movie Shyamalan has directed since Signs in 2002. That doesn't make it good, but it does mean it's not an atrocity. Jaden Smith lacks the chops for this (which sucks, because I actually liked him in The Karate Kid) and the film has a silly deus ex machina-esque climax, but there are moments of action-adventure/fantasy fun and some neat visuals and decent ideas here and there. The Last Airbender wishes it could have been this good.
Rated 29 Sep 2013
You know those movies where a pushy parent tries to push their offspring into a career the kid has neither the desire or aptitude for, before they both learn valuable life lessons and become closer? Watching this film is like the first part, but without the emotional payoff of the latter. Jaden spends the whole movie looking like he really doesn't want to be there, and his acting range is...limited. The plot is uninspired and riddled with holes and the pacing plods along slowly and uneventfully.
Rated 24 Dec 2013
A combination of M Night and Jaden is a terrible PR idea, one that brought me in only for camp reasons. Jaden is as bad as expected and I can't think of a role less suited to Will, but I have to admit this wasn't bad. Shyamalan smartly dials it back a bit from his previous movies, reducing the scope to a simple coming of age story. It's not especially powerful, but there's not much room to go wrong and in the end amounts to being enjoyable and pretty. Nothing more, but expected less.
Rated 23 Feb 2014
Will does the worst acting he has ever done because he's not acting like the cocksure funloving Will Smith that we expect and is instead being moody and quiet and boring. Jaden's acting range goes from looking at things with his mouth hanging open in shock to looking at things with his mouth hanging open in indecision. Maybe one day he will learn to close his mouth while emoting and thereby increase his range by 100%.
Rated 29 Jan 2018
Thousands of years in the future, aliens have forced humans to become emotionless long-distance runners who rely on performance-enhancing drugs to save their demanding fathers from injuries sustained in untimely space cruiser mishaps. And what's the Shammalamma twist after the credits? Mr. Glass is Will Smith's father! Or not. I decided to take jog.
Rated 23 Jul 2015
It is not a 'The Happening' low, but it does seem to continue the trilogy called 'Shyamalan's sense of smell'. What makes this such a dull chore to sit through, is that nothing really leads anywhere. We are presented with a ridiculous sci-fi universe, that seems to only exist as a backdrop for Jaden Smith's showreel. Would I watch this with my son? Yeah, sure. And when it was finished I'd say "Do you see, Damien? Daddy does love you. Come, wipe your face, it's time to go back to the basement."
Rated 31 May 2022
Deux têtes à claques pour le prix d'une, la pire idée de M. Night Shyamalan.
Rated 08 Jun 2013
It was nice to see an M. Knight Shyamalan film where the twist was, there was no twist. Refreshing. I'm very forgiving to Sci-Fi as I've said many times before, but even if I wasn't, it was still a decent film. It looked very nice, but let's face it guys and gals, Jaden Smith would not have an acting career if Will Smith wasn't his father. He's a weak-ass lead here though Will Smith was alright. Kinda predictable, decent monster design, some stupidity... ultimately, not bad, but forgettable.
Rated 19 Jun 2013
Unfortunately, as many films directed by Shyamalan, a quite enjoyable story of faith that critics love to define as "another setback" by an "once-great director". Don't count me as one of his fans, but I found this father-and-son adventure less a pretentious scientology sermon than actually a slow-paced and scary survival story. After Earth is its filmmaker's most accessible examination of fear -- but I guess crowds didn't bother to even give it a chance.
Rated 15 Jul 2013
Wow! I think critics and audiences got this one wrong. Very good sci-fi action/thriller (to me anyway). Will Smith and son star as father and son crash landed on future Earth. No humans live there now as it's too dangerous. Can't say much more as it will give away the plot. It's action packed, visually stunning and emotional.
Rated 23 Sep 2013
So Earth is uninhabitable and a wasteland? Uh...tell that to all the plants and animals that are breathing that delicious oxygen. Yet for some reason, humans can't breathe it anymore??? After seeing that Will Smith came up with the story, it all makes sense now. He may be a Scientologist, but that sure doesn't mean that he knows anything about science.
Rated 19 Nov 2013
I tried to find something I did not like about this movie, no language, no sex, great story, awesome direction.
Rated 18 Dec 2013
Just so damn boring. I don't even have the energy to talk about this movie.
Rated 13 Mar 2014
After Earth is a painful and dreadful film, one that has nothing redeeming and contains nothing that is even remotely interesting enough to warrant a watch. It puts most of its eggs in the Jaden Smith basket, and he's so awful in this that you have to wonder if this could kill his career before it really begins. The script is garbage, the acting is horrible, the special effects are lackluster, and there's nothing to hold onto and no reason to care about anything.
Rated 04 May 2020
I didn't find a single character in After Earth that I liked. I liked Will Smith's acting and some of Jaden Smith's acting. Zoe Kravitz was good as well but she wasn't in the movie for very long. The story starts out very interesting and it tries to be relatable - the father who is too distant and the son who craves for his attention. It's a tale as old as time. When their plane crashes back on an unlivable Earth the two men aren't able to mend what was wrong, maybe that is the point.
Rated 10 Feb 2020
After Earth, a.k.a. Will Smith's Jaden Smith vanity project, is easily one of the worst large releases of the last decade. It is simultaneously a low point for M. Night Shyamalan, who seems to be doing this for nothing more than a paycheck, and the final nail in the coffin that is Jaden Smith's acting career, as he will not be in anything that isn't also attached to his much more talented (and well-connected) father.
Rated 31 May 2013
From its human bashing opening, through an endless succession of pathetic plot devices, to the amazingly and thankfully quick post climax ending, reminding me all the while how much I'd come to take excellent child acting for granted over the last couple of decades, I need to get this posted before I downgrade it even further. In any case, it's official, M. Night Shyamalan is an idiot. Save you money.....really.
Rated 31 May 2013
Surprisingly not bad. The sequences before they get to Earth are actually far more interesting than what happens for the bulk of the movie. There's also this examination into fear, and whether being fearless means becoming emotionless.
Rated 01 Jun 2013
On the basis of M.'s shit-stained reputation these days, he's probably the most "underrated" studio director out there. I like that he didn't give into contemporary genre conventions. No hyper-editing, shaky cam, pointless swooping camera movements, etc. Say what you will, the man is a classy behind the camera director. And it's good that he's getting help with the writing. Could've used a bit more considering the story/dialogue problems at play here. Smiff 1 & 2 are pretty questionable as well
Rated 02 Jun 2013
Slowly paced, basic and predictable. Puts far too much weight on the younger Smith's shoulders. There's a seed of a good film, but this was very undercooked.
Rated 02 Jun 2013
After Earth is just a basic Sci-fi story that looks great., and because of that, I loved it.
Rated 04 Jun 2013
It's not a terrible movie though it drags a bit here and there. The opening few seconds is intense, but then the narration right after is kinda cheesy. After that you have a decent but not great movie, though I really didn't like Jaden's acting at times. The movie looks nice, and everything is staged well. I maintain that Shyamalan is a talented director, and this is a step in the right direction to get his career back on track. It's really not as bad as people are saying.
Rated 15 Apr 2019
People who are too lazy to think for themselves tend to parrot popular opinions. It's how Uwe Boll got a reputation as the worst director in the world and it's also how After Earth got it's reputation. Not a good movie but a perfectly acceptable lower tier sci fi adventure. I really dislike all of the Smith family but you know what? Jaden was acceptable in this.
Rated 10 Jun 2013
An abysmal opening gives way to an average core in this post-Earth-sci-fi-by-numbers romp. There's a vaguely compelling plot somewhere here, but it's buried under crappy dialogue, cheap CGI and stilted performances. Neither Smith is on form here (and I love Will); the intensity of the central storyline is undermined too often. A few bonus points for some strong chase sequences.
Rated 30 Jun 2013
Not bad at all (fast-paced and entertaining linear story) though an easy target for childish hate.
Rated 17 Sep 2013
totally unimaginative, boring, badly acted post-apocalyptic sci-fi where people live in a world of shower curtains, stretch wraps & white sheet...
Rated 22 Sep 2013
I dig sci-fi and all. I am also a huge WIll Smith fan. But there is just not much going on in After Earth. It is a bit dull, to be honest, but I wasn't as such bored with it.
Rated 01 Oct 2013
Bad accents and bad acting, 70s-style low-budget production design. The adventure part had potential but ultimately fell flat. And the whole father-son thing was an utter waste of time. Actually the more I think about this film the more irritating it becomes so I'll just stop here.
Rated 14 Oct 2021
Not good besties. Jaden Smith's accent is reminiscent of nails on a chalkboard, or open-mouthed chewing.
Rated 15 Oct 2013
This should-be blockbuster epic is not awful, but it is painfully dull, lifeless...an utter bore. From a storytelling perspective, there isn't much going on. From a creative standpoint, very little imagination is mustered of a futuristic 'after Earth' setting. Will Smith delivers his most (purposeful) robotic performance and the special effects ought to be far better for a movie of this caliber. Okay, maybe it's awful.
Rated 17 Oct 2013
Rated 30 Oct 2013
I rated this 4, then I read the byline: DANGER IS REAL - FEAR IS A CHOICE. Changed to 3.
Rated 02 Nov 2013
Bad in pretty much every way possible. Visual Effects that look dated by 15 years, unbelievable set design, camera shots and composition that make action scenes nearly impossible to follow, and to top it all off Jaden Smith's unchanging facial expression. As for the plot, it is so plugged with constant exposition about overcoming fear that I lost all interest in the characters' survival.
Rated 06 Nov 2013
Curiosity killed the cat..
Rated 10 Nov 2013
I have to be honest. I'll be the first to burn Shamalabimbam and Jaden into the ground, but I actually sort of enjoyed this out of morbid curiousity. But I really hope this is the last performance of Jaden. There's no empathy, no charisma. The kid is annoying as fuck. Let's hope this is the last time Will brought his kid to work, and starts choosing some decent - and out of his comfort zone - flicks.
Rated 24 Dec 2016
My expectations were low, but it is really not that bad. Yes it is cheesy, yes it is predictable, yes it is cringe worthy, yes Will Smith squinting during action cuts is stupid, and yes watching Jaden Smith look side to side as the camera does a close up is torture. But I've seen plenty worse, and the concept is interesting enough.
Rated 20 Dec 2013
A lesson about the pros and cons of stoicism (don't expect references to Epictetus or James Stockdale). Less explicitly, it seems to tacitly ask how such considerations relate to the way we address the question of our own planetary future (references to Moby Dick: we killed the whales, you see). Overall, however, this is very laboured and uninspired, as though the filmmakers really had little or no interest in the material, and were simply showing up to collect a paycheck. Shocking, I know.
Rated 27 Dec 2013
There were some easy opportunities for a much better ending here. I'm willing to forgive a lot in the name of symbolism and good cinematography. Jaden is a better actor than his daddy. Don't count me among Shyamalan's detractors, which has and still does come off as an inexplicable trend to me.
Rated 05 Jan 2021
A thousand years after catastrophic events forced humans to leave Earth, Nova Prime has become the new home of humanity. Legendary General Cypher Raige returns home after a long service. He has become estranged from his family, but is ready to take on the role of father for his 13-year-old son Kitai. When an asteroid storm damages Cypher and Kitai's craft, they crash-land on unknown and dangerous Earth.
Rated 19 Jan 2014
I really didn't think this was quite as shitty as people make it out to be. The acting dynamic between Will Smith and his son is interesting and probably could have even been decent if it were not for the directing hack job. Whatever talent Shyamalan once had is surely gone now. Maybe all the late night pussy and parties in Hollywood rotted his brain. We are left with a plodding mess of a film with plot and art direction reminiscent of a C production for sci-fi channel and a set to match.
Rated 16 Feb 2014
Not nearly as bad as I was led to believe. It's worst faults being the lead actor cannot handle the role and it is, if anything, boring.
Rated 20 Dec 2016
I wanted a sci-fi movie, but I basically got a cave man survival movie with Jaden Smith. It's really hard for anyone to defend Shyamalan at this point, by "The Villiage," he had lost his chops, but somewhere following that, he full on lost his head.
Rated 05 Jul 2014
I was a little disappointed that Will Smith's character never said "welcome to earf" at any point.
Rated 17 Jul 2014
SHALAMASMALAMA DOES IT AGAIN!
Rated 06 Aug 2014
Thought the film was fairly good. Not amazingly good, nor life changing but good. M. Night really is a brilliant story teller,seen it before with his successful movies (and in my opinion his less than successful ones.) Though THE HAPPENING is easily the worst movie ever made. Still I found this film to be entertaining, decently acted, very good special effects and a generally well made, well produced film. With a feature runtime that more movies should copycat, do not need 165min TRANSFORMERS 4
Rated 12 Aug 2014
This is your fault Will Smith. Your concept, your decision to bring in Shyamalan, your choice to cast Jaden, and your performance. Your fault for ruining something that at least had potential.
Rated 06 Apr 2016
It's plotless and you're left with a lot of unsolved questions about earth etc.
Rated 21 Jan 2015
The actors feel totally unbelievable as father and son, despite actually being father and son... nothing feels real.
Rated 31 Oct 2015
I don't get the hate. Very watchable. No tedious romance shoe horned into a hollywood film is a nice change. M Night is under-rated. A concise and well worked film.
Rated 25 Feb 2016
Despite -and sometimes because of- their faults I've always got some enjoyment from Shyamalan 'till this. A father forces his son to overcome anxiety by being all military and using a really deep voice, the overcoming is then attributed to this in-vogue and vaguely Scientologist 'mindfulness' stuff. I prefer breath meditation -and films with plots that make sense- perhaps I'm just being old-fashioned.
Rated 01 Jun 2013
Not offensively bad or anything, just painfully predictable and slow to the point of sluggishness. Weak special effects, too. Skip it; there's nothing here you haven't seen before, or couldn't imagine better yourself.
Rated 03 Jan 2018
worst shit I've seen in a long time
Rated 06 Jun 2013
Here is where it failed. Not much action in an action movie. Not much Will Smith in a Will Smith movie. In fact, they even made it so he wouldn't have to actually act. Thanks movie people!
Rated 08 Jun 2013
So there's a whole lotta running around and battling raging beasties ... but also a "rite of passage" progression for a boy who must face his fears and feelings of inadequacy, and lessons to learn by a father who must relinquish control while regaining confidence in his family. That means there are some pretty positive things this sci-fi actioner has to say about the bond between dads and sons. And it lauds wise parental choices right alongside the more typical nods to bravery and self-sacrifice.
Rated 09 Jun 2013
very cool 10 out of 10
Rated 14 Jun 2013
Shyamalan's least bad film in a long time, but it's still not good. The action scenes are generally pretty intense, but the narrative is pretty hammy and a lot of elements make no sense at all. I'm one of the few who liked Jaden in Karate Kid, but he can't really pull this off. After Earth doesn't last long enough to get boring, the pacing is pretty OK, and you could spend sub 2 hours much worse. It's in one eye and out the other.
Rated 14 Jun 2013
This movie might be predictable, cheesy, not very well-acted and illogical, but I didn't dislike everything. It looked good, the CGI wasn't overdone, and underneath all the flaws that this movie obviously has, lies a mildly entertaining survival movie.
Rated 09 Jul 2013
Temmuz 2013 , Utku ile & Fallus'un sikici ve hayal gucunden yoksun hikayesi.
Rated 18 Jul 2013
Wow, no wonder they're desperately hiding that Shayamalan directed this movie.. Such a stupidly dumb screenplay and awful acting and nothing happeningness.. So much shit..
Rated 27 Jul 2013
The story sucks, Jaden isn't that good as an actor and M. Night Shyamalan once again manages to underwhelm me. There is a good story in here some where but would need better writers, actors and directors to pull it off.
Rated 09 Apr 2019
SYRE streaming now
Rated 21 Sep 2013
Fantastically poor decisions all round.
Rated 22 Sep 2013
The kid smith is not a great actor, however the movie is not as bad as most people think it is. It has one theme which is that fear is not real. Although true, this could have been told in a more subtle way. As a way to escape for two hours it is not horrible.
Rated 23 Sep 2013
Not as bad as many say but sure as hell no masterpiece!
Rated 05 Sep 2018
Once again I am in the minority enjoying this movie. My opinion is too many people(sheeple) watched it with preconceived notions, mainly because of the director. Not to say it is a great flick, but it is a very solid Sci-fi/Action flick. The effects are really well done and the action scenes are pretty good. It also has an entertaining story with good morality issues.
Rated 02 Jan 2018
Lots of dumb things in this movie but I didn't mind watching it.
Rated 09 Oct 2013
A M. Night father/son science fiction movie. Sounds great right? It's ok. Let's start with the positives. Beautiful scenery and some truly tense moments. The bad, no chemistry between father and son Smith's. I was a little disappointed in no twist ending, but it was refreshing too I guess. The whole movie felt like "My Side of the Mountain" in the future. Oh and that eagle part... totally sad. I felt more emotion for that eagle than for Will Smith. Decent Sci-fi, but not great.
Rated 13 Oct 2013
Best line in the movie, "I want to work with mom". No surprises, you know everything that's going to happen, but it still held my interest.
Rated 13 Oct 2013
Cheesy, over acted tripe.
Rated 16 Nov 2017
2013/12/01
Rated 17 Oct 2013
Nowhere near as bad as many have espoused it to be. That's not to say this is good though! It won't require much of your attention & just a shit load of stuff (or pretty much everything) makes absolutely no sense, but to say its an abomination just doesn't ring true. Jaden Smith is a terrible, talentless, unwatchable little shit, but he's not enough for me to completely pan what is essentially just a dull, but harmless soft sci-fi where Shyamalan again proves he has forgotten what a "plot" is.
Rated 21 Oct 2013
Just awful by everyone will, his son(one of the worst kid actors ever), and M. Night Shyamalan. So many different and better ways to tell this story of a future earth.
Rated 26 Oct 2013
very slow
Rated 04 Nov 2013
Okay, so obviously this movie was made, so that Will Smith's son could have a new movie. It's like no one cared about the storyline, the credibility of plot decisions, and in general - the whole idea behind the movie. The important thing was that Jaden could run around, showing in a tight suit, that he's hitting puberty. So, a more truthful title - "After Jaden Smith hit puberty and wanted to be in the big league".
Rated 13 Nov 2013
Not as bad as some people think although it tries. Has enough going for it that it gets a passing grade.
Rated 22 Jun 2018
The story is awful; but the mystic indications are good, like the hero, the mentor, and the seven labours.
Rated 22 Dec 2013
.5+ absolute torture
Rated 25 Sep 2023
Çok detaya inmeden keyfine izlenecek film olmuş.
Rated 27 Jan 2014
I was expecting it much more terrible.
Rated 01 Mar 2014
Wow. I was hoping to some degree that the hatred for this movie was kind of like the hatred for apocalypto where it turned out to be entertaining at the very least and fun to watch. but man, this was shit. I get it Will Smith, you love your son. Should he act? Probably not. His acting was so bad I couldn't even believe the background. Which is another flaw really. everything looks digital. but more than that the story just sucked. It really tried way too hard to be an epic.
Rated 25 Dec 2020
eng; [After earth]; ein junge strandet mit seinem Vater während einem shuttleausflug auf einem planeten und kämpft um sein überleben - was von dem finden eines wrackteils abhängt.; (mittelmäßige CGI, pathetische Story);
Rated 29 Jun 2014
A cerebral sci fi survival film about overcoming human nature.
Rated 10 Jan 2018
Will and Jaden Smith play father and son in this misguided display of Hollywood nepotism. Will's unfortunate desire to get by without using any of his beloved charisma notwithstanding. This is a miserable low point for Shyamalan.
Rated 17 Nov 2014
This entire movie seemed like an excuse to give Jaden Smith an acting role. Will Smith's talent takes a back seat as Jaden bumbles around on screen, falling flat on his face, just like this movie.
Rated 06 Mar 2015
Bad.
Rated 27 Apr 2015
Well, it's pretty bad, but due to the fact that I expected horrible I must admit that I have seen worse. I would go as far and say that I actually can recommend this to a small handful of people. *Bad
Rated 14 Jun 2024
The major issue with this movie is that it was Will Smith, but they make him super serious and boring so he lacks in what he usually is the best at; being funny and charismatic. Throw his utterly boring and untalented son in the mix, and the whole thing is already flat as a pancake. It's too bad. The plot is super predictable and offers zero surprises but the tech design and creatures were pretty cool. A bit too obvious CGI at times, but my points go to the actual creature design.
Rated 26 Nov 2015
Not as terrible as its reputation or box office performance suggests, though it does drag in some places.
Rated 06 Dec 2015
D-
Rated 12 Dec 2015
Will Smith's character fell asleep watching this movie and so did I