Aliens

1986
Sci-fi
Action

Rated 10 Jan 2010
"I say we take off, and nuke the entire site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure." And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the only line that can be applied to any situation whatsoever.
Rated 28 Dec 2014
told from the point of view of prolific planet colonialists. here they're shown as peaceful settlers, but as all national expeditions go, some repression is inevitable. unrest results, some of it violent, culminating in an attack on a settler family close to their village. this reactionary terrorism gives an excuse for our heroes to perform total genocide. like lord of the rings & star wars, but worse: the scene where ripley slaughters the children of the creature is horrifying and despicable.
Rated 01 Oct 2020
Can A Sequel Be Better Than The Original ?....Yes And This Movie Is Proof Of It
Rated 31 May 2012
Amazing creature design, memorable characters (Ripley & Vasquez being stand-outs, but Lieutenant Gorman and Bishop spring to mind as well) and a strong, unflabby script which made me root for the team and hate Burke, as intended. By turns unsettling and action-packed, what makes Cameron's classic so entertaining is its perfectly judged pacing - with just the right spread of drama, suspense and intensity. Favorite scenes: the nightmare and Sigourney wielding her flamethrower.
Arguably James Cameron's best work. Very entertaining film and it looked great. Often sequels usually far short of the original but I wouldn't say this one did at all. I consider it just as good as the original but far more action orientated.
Rated 29 Mar 2007
Whatever is great about non-computerized visual effects are all in this movie. Even though I am not a big fan of Cameron's, I have to admit his sense of action is nearly unsurpassable. Everybit of alien ass we see, we desire more. Biological background that Aliens build up on the first film is fair especially considering todays standards.
One of the few sequels that rivals the original. This is the total package: comedy, action, suspense, horror, sci-fi, drama. And it meshes so well.
Rated 03 Jun 2009
Aliens provided the blueprint for how to create a model sequel: A) expand on the ideas of the first film without losing sight of what made it great; B) heighten the stakes in a convincing manner; C) introduce enough new wrinkles to keep the audience on their toes; and D) have the good fortune to be helmed by an obsessive, hands-on visionary at the height of his artistic prowess. Often imitated, never duplicated.
Rated 11 Oct 2015
Relies heavily on the 'bigger is better' philosophy of sequel making, which works for events like the queen vs. the loader and for making a statement with the exaggerated phallic weaponry but works against pacing/tension and undercuts the strength of Giger's design (now ribbed for her pleasure) - the more aliens we see getting wasted the less fearsome they become. The action and set pieces are dated by a stagey laser-tag arena quality - makes for a good level in the AvP Gold video game though.
Rated 17 May 2008
The best sequel ever made, if you like "Alien", you'll love "Aliens". Exactly as the title would have you believe, there's more baddies this time, and they're bigger, and more action.
Rated 31 Jan 2007
Well-made and entertaining as hell, but the endless torrent of aliens isn't as menacing as the single one in the first movie. The movie is still very suspenseful, but in a less satisfying way, I think.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
Excellent sci-fi horror sequel which improves on the original in many aspects. The action and tension of the fight against Aliens has never felt or looked better since in a relentless spree of action from start to finish. Quite possibly the best action horror film ever made.
Rated 25 Jan 2012
What a sequel should be. Show the original respect but amp things up a bit. It's no Troll 2 but it does feature Paxton at his whining finest.
Rated 16 Jul 2017
These people really need to learn some manners. Starts with throwing good food on the floor and insulting someone you've never met. Swearing in front of kids. Spilling milk all over everything during the final battle. Just some real BM.
Rated 04 May 2012
I thought this was one of the best film sequels ever made. Cameron kind of takes this franchise to more of an 80s action movie as oppose to the subtle horror movie the first film felt like, and it is super 80s, but it's still really well-acted and directed and written, and that's more than I can say most modern sci/fis nowadays. All around a well-made movie, and easily just as good, if not slightly better, than Alien.
Over-praised, poorly-written sequel focusing on militarism and firepower at the expense of character or suspense. More nonsense is written about this movie than perhaps any other. That people purport to find symbolic significance in this film caused me to think that Hollywood may introduce such elements into "blockbuster"-type movies as a deliberate marketing strategy targeted at audiences they believe will respond to such things: "film theory placement." That the cat becomes a kid doesn't help.
Rated 01 Dec 2016
The sweatiest movie in history not starring Jean-Claude Van Damme.
Rated 14 Dec 2008
A big old mess. Sacrifices tension for obnoxious pyrotechnics, turns the xenomorphs into boring slimy monsters-of-the-week, and fills out the cast with terrible characters who serve as little more than blood-filled sacs to get squeezed for the audience's delight. I'm willing to accept that Cameron and I enjoy different things in sci-fi films but his writing is regularly embarrassing, and there's something deeply ingrained in the look and feel of all his films that just irritates me.
Is it better than Alien? I don't know. Did it kick ass and not bother taking any names? Hell yeah.
Tremendously atmospheric and exciting film, which I have rewatched countless times without tiring of it. From my point of view, the tighter theatrical release is the one to go for, although some may enjoy the extra padding of the director's cut.
Rated 17 Dec 2009
What this filmmaker does best: a high concept, high tech actioner. To manage a successful sequel to a years-gone, utterly singular masterpiece is no small feat to start, but Cameron's film forges its own identity. It's so absolutely, almost improbably loaded. Monster movie, Vietnam parable, and one of the great works of feminist cinema. That's a hell of a combination.
Rated 10 Jun 2012
Bill Paxton
Rated 02 May 2019
Just a thing of beauty: a slice of B-movie heaven that manages to do All the Things and be every genre, and succeed at nearly everything. Each of the players is established in such an elegant, efficient fashion, and the tension is so pervasive, the film feels justified as it stampedes wildly to the baddest and best chick fight yet committed to film.
Rated 23 Jan 2021
Aliens is the most perfect sequel name. In the first, you have a singular Alien, hence the name Alien. Here, you have multiple Aliens, hence the name Aliens. I like that this film is in the future but they still brought that 80's hair with them.
Rated 09 Apr 2007
James Cameron's action sequel tops the first "Alien" as a pure visceral experience. This movie never lets up and makes an interesting transition from the confined horror of the first picture, to a pulsating blend of action and suspense - brilliantly and fittingly contrasting Ridley Scott's outing, while retaining the same atmosphere. Released in 1986, the creatures have still never looked as good as they do here. "Aliens" stands unquestionably as one of the best sequels ever made.
Rated 24 Apr 2007
I love how the seemingly dead facehugger in the tank waits just slightly longer than you think it will, before it jumps, and therefore makes YOU jump every time. That's just one of the reasons this movie is awesome.
Game over, man! One of the best actionfests of the 80s.
Rated 14 Dec 2009
I'm really impressed. I've just seen this movie for the first time, 23 years after its release and it's awesome. I love Giger's design for the Aliens and the movie has great atmosphere. Great example that a good movie doesn't need tons of bad CGI..
This is a great movie. But don't go into this movie thinking it's a sequel to Alien. No, this is more like "The continuing adventures of Ripley." This film shares Ripley and the Alien and that is all. This is a different kind of terror, a different level of action. In space no one can hear you scream, but down planetside, noone can hear you scream over the flame throwers and machine guns.
Abandons the methodical, atmospheric horror of the original and brings Ellen Ripley, the best sci-fi heroine ever, into a world of AWESOME, HARDCORE ACTION. Game over man, game over!
Rated 20 May 2017
More people, aliens, and guns make this sequel more of an action-thriller than its slow-horror predecessor, replacing the latter's subtle suspense and relatability with more straight-forward shoot-em-up fodder, but that's not to say it's always a bad thing (more aliens makes for a stronger sense of hopelessness; Ripley and the alien Mom's unexpected final showdown is awesome) or that it doesn't still have good character work (sniveling Burke is the perfect complement to strong-willed Ripley).
Rated 24 Jul 2012
[Director's Cut] Cameron couldn't have outdone the original in terms of suspense and horror, so he took the basic premise and moved it into a different genre. Each Alien movie is a child of its time. The original was a bleak dystopian 1970s vision of the future. This is a balls-to-the-wall guns-blazin' 80s film, full of great set pieces and wise-cracking characters. Which is better? Stupid question. They're completely different films, but both at the pinnacle of their respective genres.
Rated 10 Jul 2008
A case of "sequel is better than the original". The first one was a horror movie, this one is more action movie, but the mood is still dark as ever with Ripley being one of the most memorable tough female warriors in movie history.
Rated 26 Dec 2006
This should be a model for sequel producers everywhere. It takes the premise and world of the original, expands on it with solid new characters, and gives it an interesting twist (this is much more actiony than the original). My only real complaint is that the "villain" angle was handled much more intelligently in the original, since the villain in this one is human and should, despite all else, have some interest in saving his own skin.
Rated 13 Jun 2021
This tries to be a Faster & More Intense sequel--with an Aliens title indicating multiple monsters instead of one. There isn't much thought as it's essentially a Starship Troopers sci-fi story. Still, unlike the previous picture's corporate commentary, this one doesn't have anything to say about the military-industrial complex. And Paxton & Reiser misstep by going beyond their intended annoying purposes. I may be in the minority, but even with the strong motherhood theme, I prefer the original.
Rated 05 Jun 2012
This might be the ultimate shoot-'em-up sci-fi actioner of all time. The way Cameron expands the first film is fantastic. He sacrifices the chilling, claustrofobic aspect of the original in order to shape it into a giant war movie. And, well, he's the best man in Hollywood to bring this military novelty to sci-fi -- as he would do in the following years. We get less scares, but the absorbing atmosphere is preserved. There's also room for Newt and some sentimental touch. Great entertainment.
Rated 22 Feb 2016
Responsible for creating action movie cliches that will be copied in less inventive ones for years to come, and in that sense deserves classic status, but I found it far from the perfect action flick many claim it to be. Ripley is ultimately the only well-fleshed out character, with the military unit mainly made up of amusing caricatures, and the pacing isn't quite flawless. Very entertaining, especially the final third or so, but lacks the vision of the original Alien.
Rated 19 Feb 2007
Great film.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Amazing combination of suspense, horror and action. Ripley is one of the best protagonists in any action/horror movie.
Rated 20 May 2017
One of the best action movies of all time, Cameron did his own take on the alien character and transitions from horror to action action adventure seamlessly. While being a different style of film, Cameron keeps the atmosphere and tension brought from Alien and much like the first, keeps the Aliens visually terrifying and sounds extremely creepy. Cameron also furthers the story of Ripley with a surprise character entry that really pays off. Cameron created a great movie and a even better sequel.
Rated 22 Mar 2007
One of the best goddamn monster movies ever made. Never tire of it
Rated 11 Jun 2007
The greatest sci-fi/horror/action movie ever.
Rated 09 Feb 2011
Whilst the prequel was suspenseful, because the concept of the "alien" was new to us, there is no way the follow up could take the same path .... so instead we get the biggest, wildest rollercoaster action ride imaginable, which is the perfect ( and in my opinion better ) follow up to Alien. Sigourney Weaver is just incredible and creates one of the most memorable women action characters in the history of cinema, and Lance Hendricksons performace is also wonderful as a "synthetic" person !
Rated 12 May 2017
James Cameron's follow-up to the sci-fi/horror classic "Alien"(1979) is often cited as one of the top examples of a sequel done right. Heavily debated among fans whether or not this sci-fi/action style film surpasses the original, and ultimately that answer seems to always come down to personal taste. I favor the original's suspense over Cameron's 80s cheese filled action. However there is still a lot to appreciate inside this action packed sequel, mainly Sigourney Weaver's iconic performance.
What makes this film so good is not just the great cast, sets and storyline, but also the spot-on pacing. For that reason it's best to avoid the directors cut and stick with the theatrical version.
If you take the pure suspense of Alien and channel about a third of it into edge of your seat action sequences, you'd have Aliens. Still a very great piece of sci-fi/horror cinema.
(SE) The brash, badass younger sibling to Scott's suspenseful original. At times venerated as a 'better sequel' or derided for its dialed-up performances and dialogue - the best thing about Aliens is the considerable respect Cameron shows to the first film whilst transforming the series into a blockbuster franchise. Spectacular production, non-stop action set pieces and near-as-damnit perfect pacing, underpinned by a subtext that the audience can interpret - or disregard - as they like. Classic.
Rated 06 Mar 2014
A benchmark sci-fi action film, shot with precision & directed with artistic flair. Few flix have ever looked so awesome. While Alien created the atmosphere, the sequel puts us right in the thick of it. Ripley's a fantastic female lead: brave, tactical, and a total badass- yet she retains her maternal instincts. For better or worse, dialogue and interaction of Cameron's rugged band of militant Alien hunters spawned character blueprints for dozens of future action movies. An intense visual treat.
Rated 21 Jan 2010
Though it is inferior to Alien, I love almost every minute of this thing. It's a violently intense war movie, a descent into a pit of hell, and as the awesome climax underlines, a story of (surrogate) motherhood. Or, indeed, mother vs. mother, and mother as protector. "Get away from her, you bitch!"
Rated 13 Oct 2009
Though the original had a greater impact on me, this was my favourite movie through my adolescence (an still a good candidate for the title). A good explanation would be that after being scared half to death in the first movie, this offered a much needed catharsis. And the best kind of catharsis there is: The kind packing smart guns, pulse rifles and a handy shotgun (just in case). To top it off, Aliens is also the most intense, well crafted action movie I've ever seen, so yeah: still the best!
Rated 07 Jan 2010
Expertly blends sci-fi, action, and horror, into an experience that's both exhilarating and stomach-churning. The creature and set designs are genius, the action scenes are well-shot, the cast is great, and the story is very engaging. It's arguably Cameron's best movie.
Rated 19 Aug 2008
Aliens doesn't simply succeed because it's bigger and badder than Alien but because James Cameron is able to write an interesting, entertaining and fun screenplay. From Ripley coming to terms with her all to real demons to the quippy lines of space marines Aliens moves seamlessly between the dramatically serious and downright hilarious .
An excellent action movie with horror qualities. When this movie kicks into gear, it doesn't stop.
Rated 21 Dec 2011
This is my favorite of all the Alien movies. Sigourney Weaver is perfect in the lead role. The supporting actors are good here as well, in particular Bill Paxton and Paul Reiser. There are a lot of great thrills, this movie is a classic work of science fiction.
Rated 13 Feb 2017
I prefer the slow tension of the more horror-based Alien, but this is still really thrilling. It's awesome to me that a single franchise can give us one of the best horror movies of all-time and one of the better action movies. I don't love it as much as some but I can see why it's beloved. Ripley is still awesome, the atmosphere is spot on and the action is frantic and exciting. Some really sloppy acting and little flaws here and there bring it down for me, but it's still great.
Rated 25 Dec 2009
So much worse than the original it's almost insulting. Not really all that shocking considering it's James fucking Cameron. His usual, juvenile tricks can all be found here. The nauseatingly macho dialogue, the terrible characters, etc. But this still features some great action scenes and lively suspense which allow it to overcome its flaws.
The story is very good and the action is spectacular and the suspense is there all the way... but I'm really put off by James Cameron's obvious lust for hi-tech weaponry and penchant for "tough guy" dialogue. He's so adolescent.
Rated 23 Jun 2008
My least favourite 'Alien' movie, including Vs Predator, and even including vs Predator II, which I haven't seen. Every military cliche imaginable, cute kid too for Weaver to protect, the noble robot, evil ambitious individual replaces corporate alienation - though the guy from 'Mad About You' is the only likable character in the film.
Rated 26 Jun 2013
Finally we get a good robot guy! That last one was creeping me out, especially with all that white stuff. Shouldn't she have aged or something during all those years she was living in space? And she was sleeping with that nasty disgusting cat when they wiped all that frosty stuff off her casket. Like she was Sleeping Beauty or something, that's just wrong. Who in their right mind would go back? They already knew those aliens were going after everyone, why tempt them?
Rated 23 Apr 2009
Bigger and better than the first in almost every conceivable way.
Rated 14 Feb 2010
Cameron remakes Alien as an action movie, and what an action movie. This is Cameron at the top of his game, crafting instantly likable characters and getting great performances from his cast. The tension and action is excellent, backed by a typically bombastic score from James Horner. The strong characters keep us invested in their fates with only a few of them feeling like alien fodder. One of the best action movies ever made.
Rated 11 Sep 2012
Cool classic... Kind of overrated though... mostly, mostly.. ;) The fact the aliens are so much easier to kill than in part 1 and 3 (Sigourney Weaver makes one headshot after the next) makes the aliens in this movie seem kind of weak and stupid ...
Rated 20 Aug 2020
I think you just have to do your best to ignore the bad things about Aliens, for the overall good of the classic trilogy.
Rated 06 May 2008
The love for this movie baffles me. It's competent enough, but how anyone can call it their favorite movie of all time is beyond me. Ripley's characterization is better than in Alien, and there are a couple of good scenes/jokes, but it is inferior in every way to Alien, and I would rather watch just about any other above-average movie that's on the air instead.
Rated 02 Jun 2017
seen for the first time recently, really love this one, it takes the suspense and character driven narrative of the first and adds in alot of action which is pretty great. The effects are dated but still look amazing considering. It gets the point across and thats all the matters really, I would much rather see practical effects in the first place. Bill Paxton is awesome in this movie. I just really enjoyed everything about this film.
Rated 08 Mar 2014
Director's cut - Superb continuation of the Alien saga, anchored by Weaver's charismatic and commanding performance as Ripley, backed by an entertaining motley group of characters (with Paxton's gung-ho machismo standing out). Probably Cameron's most sturdily written screenplay to date, finding some fascinating levels to the Ripley character, but at its glorious best once the wall-to-wall action starts. Certainly a sci-fi/action masterpiece, and far and away the best of the Alien films.
Rated 05 Feb 2008
I loved the first one for its originality and suspense. The 2nd one is just plain fun, it succeeds as an amazing sci-fi but also as a great action film. Probably the film that certified James Cameron as the real deal.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Sci-fi Horror gold, the xenomorph has stalked my nightmares for almost two decades.
Rated 14 May 2021
How to do a sequel
Rated 19 May 2011
One of the few sequels that is superior to the original! Great movie!
Rated 30 Dec 2011
Good action film.
Rated 06 Mar 2012
This is an interesting sequel because it has a nice different approach and I could see where James was going, but It wasn't as intelligent or elegant as the first one and that shows, the marine plot is idiotic like: "We are going on a mission where we could confront an alien species, let's put in charge someone with zero experience" or "Hey we found what appears to be the nest, let's go without any plan and of course let's bring the kid with us". Over the top, but entertaining
Rated 27 May 2016
'Aliens' succeeds as the best possible sequel to Scott's original movie thanks to a combination of Cameron's vision to transition to a fresh genre while still holding tight to what made the first film as terrifying and thrilling as it is. This, coupled with an emotional core missing from its predecessor makes 'Aliens' one of the great sequels.
Rated 02 May 2014
I thought this movie was amazing when I saw it in the theater but sadly it has not aged well. I still give it bonus points for being innovative for its time but I doubt it will have the same impact for anyone seeing it for the first time nowadays.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
In the pipe, five by five. Incredibly cheesy, but come on. It's a fun movie.
Rated 20 May 2020
I like both of the first two Alien films for different reasons. Aliens is definitely the more action-packed of the two and features a commanding performance by Sigourney Weaver as a badass female heroine for the ages. The film does still allow some of the more suspenseful moments that made the first film so effective, but it's the fiery climax that is one of the best blockbuster third acts of an action film ever made.
Rated 01 Mar 2009
This just may be the best sequel of the sequel-glutted '80s in that it actually goes its original one better with superior characters, great dialogue ("Game over, man! Game over!" "Get away from her, you bitch!") and pacy, suspenseful direction.
Rated 23 Apr 2020
One of the best sequels of all time, and one of my most watched films.
Rated 08 May 2008
What can I say? One of the best horror movies of all time.
Rated 16 Oct 2009
Little bit better than the original, but not by much. Once I got past the ridiculous 80's hair/jokes it became much more enjoyable. It has a lot of cliches and it really takes awhile for anything to happen. I think this one is overpraised but seeing that dude from Mad About You get killed was pretty satisfying.
Best Alien movie. Hands down.
One of the few movies I can watch over, and over. As well made and compelling as they come.
In Cameron's film the basic alien is rendered as nothing more than a swift insect agitator, it is the maternal Queen that harkens back to the original creatures intellectually foreign smarts. The tensest and possibly tighest action film ever made.
Far more action-packed than the first Alien, this film is more about fighting back. Still with a strong sense of survival, this film remains as intense as the first. It's safe to say it's more fun than the original film, although it is not as original. Sadly, Bill Paxton is present and incredibly annoying. Sigourney Weaver reprises her role as Ellen Ripley, and she gives another outstanding performance. Really good!
Rated 26 Aug 2010
best sequel ever, along with T2.
Rated 21 Feb 2011
although themes and plot progression are almost a copy & paste with some up in the ante, calling it an action refurbishment of scott's masterpiece wouldn't do it justice. the second installment still manages to bring pure cult material to the table. from awesome character ensemble, set and prop design to visual fx and sound, you just feel the love and dedication. and that's not an empty phrase, many of cast & crew got hurt or almost died filming this, check the making of!
Rated 06 Jan 2010
Though James Cameron's sequel gives the original a much-needed special effects upgrade it retains little of what made Ridley Scott's original film a classic. Gone are the atmosphere of the first, the tension, and the engaging characters and they are replaced by james Cameronisms. I'm sure it was a hit when it came out, but now It reeks of stale blockbuster. It is destined to continue to rot as time goes on (much in the same way Titanic had a short life span as a great film).
Rated 31 Jul 2009
This was an awesome movie. Action plus horror.
Rated 20 Jul 2010
I love it one of the best of the eighties
Rated 08 Jul 2009
The ultimate action film? Cameron shows his talents and keeps you at the edge of your seat for the duration of this action/horror classic.
Rated 01 Mar 2008
GIANT ALIEN VS GIANT ROBOT = GIANT AWESOME. Otherwise inferior to Alien in every way.
Rated 04 Apr 2024
I don't think it's the masterpiece everybody makes it out to be, and honestly I think the more suspenseful style of the original was a bit more effective on me. That being said, the sets, miniatures and alien effects are absolutely incredible work that holds up better than most of that kind of stuff from that era. It was an enjoyable expansion to the series, and I liked the dynamic between Ripley and Newt, but I think the other characters weren't as strong, and the story felt weaker to me.
Rated 14 Oct 2007
Pure adrenaline for all action junkies -- it's one of the best thrill-rides ever made.
Rated 26 Oct 2008
Strap in mother fucker.
Rated 11 Nov 2007
AMAZING
Rated 07 May 2009
This is the granddaddy of all modern action pictures. Brilliant sets, effects, performances and action at all times. Once the wheels start turning, this picture doesn't slow down. Ripley evolves as a character into a more maternal role and the support from the hilarious Paxton, charming Henriksen and despicable Reiser keeps us worrying about the cast and feeling the danger that they are in. This film has aged wonderfully and exposes how shallow so many blockbusters today truly are.
Rated 21 Feb 2012
Cameron was effective at capturing Scott's beautiful aesthetic from the first movie, while pretty much changing the genre from horror to action. The action is great, the characters are just as interesting as the first, and the pro feminism themes are particularly refreshing coming in the mid 80s.
Rated 27 Jul 2008
It lacks the claustrophobic feeling of being trapped inside a spaceship with nowhere to run that the first film has. However, it improves on pretty much every other aspect and winds up ultimately being better than the first. Very, very good.
Rated 13 Jun 2012
James Cameron picks up right where Ridley Scott left off and makes a logical and entertaining next step in the franchise. Bill Paxton is hilarious and Sigourney Weaver owns the Ripley character here.
Rated 20 Jul 2008
Better than the original. Very suspenseful and has a lot more aliens!