All or Nothing
All-or-Nothing
All-or-Nothing

All or Nothing

2002
Penny's love for her partner, taxi-driver Phil, has run dry. He is a gentle, philosophical guy, and she works on the checkout at a supermarket. Their daughter Rachel cleans in a home for elderly people, and their son Rory is unemployed and aggressive. The joy has gone out of Phil's and Penny's life, but when an unexpected tragedy occurs, they are brought together to rediscover their love... (imdb)
Amazon Prime VideoAmazon VideoApple TVVudu

I don't know how he does it. I can think of too few directors that so successfully draw me into their world. Reality. Beauty.
A bit condescending, but it does feel very authentic and provides some touching moments when people do manage to connect. Leigh can't seem to find his focus, and what starts out as a broader ensemble piece becomes rather narrow by the third act. I wanted to see what happened to some of the other characters, particularly Maureen, who was the most likeable and level-headed of the lot.
A uniquely MikeLeighian film about the despair and poignancy of ordinary life. Not for all tastes but if you were interested only in mainstream stuff you wouldn't be reading this
Not as good as Naked or Happy-Go-Lucky, but the actors give great performances, and Leigh remains one my favorite directors.
Yet another achingly realistic and moving film by Mike Leigh. Credit must be given to the staggering performances from the entire cast (Manville was the standout for me) as well as to the filmmaker's sensitivity and sharp eye for compelling drama.

Poster supplied bygauntletGauntlet