2020
Documentary
Musical
Spike Lee documents the former Talking Heads frontman's brilliant, timely 2019 Broadway show, based on his recent album and tour of the same name. (imdb)

2020
Documentary
Musical

Rated 22 Oct 2020
I could’ve went to see this show live at the venue down the street from where I was for $9 but I was too busy seeing Bryan Adams, then on the second night the price was about the same but I was too lazy to drive over and Same as it ever was Same as it ever was Same as it ever was Same as it ever was Same as it ever was Same as it ever was Same as it ever was Same as it ever was
Rated 16 Oct 2020
Massively self-indulgent and a few songs too long, but still a wonderful, joyous experience. The movie itself is fantastic, an all-time great concert film on par with SMS, with Lee bringing the experience out of the live setting in the best way (as well as adding his own essential and emotional touches during the amazing Hell You Talmbout section)....but the show. What a show! I can’t believe nobody added this before me this site is dying :( :( :(
Rated 24 Oct 2020
Local pervert writes, "I can't wait for the only-feet cut".
Rated 26 Dec 2020
The wide release of this awesome show is possibly the best thing to come out of 2020.
Rated 27 May 2021
Elderly pop star bloviates nonsensical lyrics over early 80's synthesizers in between spouting banal Democrat party platitudes.
Rated 05 Mar 2022
The performative art is a spirited celebration of humanism and sociopolitical protest - so great it could’ve easily stood on its own. But when Spike does leave the proscenium, it evokes the raw edge found in his best works. This combined emotionality is infectious: true to its title, it hits all the exhuberant highs of a Southern Baptist revival and a Pride flash mob on Castro Street, often at the same time. For me, there is special beauty recognizing a similar underlying soul in both.
Rated 14 Jan 2021
The music, as you would expect, is great, but the show's a bit simple to make a concert movie out of.
Rated 02 Jan 2021
Very entertaining and somewhat uplifting.
Rated 21 Jul 2021
The "a flat-out masterpiece" review blurb plastered on its poster seems like a bit of an overstatement--there's no grand vision tying every song together into a greater whole, no new ground being broken either musically or performance-wise, and the between-song banter reminds us that this is a gig like any other. That being said, it -is- a really good gig! Byrne still sounds great, his no-cables-attached ensemble is fun, and it's all very visually pleasing to watch. Really good concert film.
Rated 24 Jan 2021
Viewed January 23, 2021. Doesn't quite rise to the level of great cinema like Stop Making Sense does, but it almost doesn't seem fair to compare the two.
Rated 31 Jan 2022
Stop Making Sense is one of few perfect creations ever released into the universe, and it is no use comparing it to anything that came before or anything that followed. With American Utopia, David Byrne reasserts his genius while recontextualizing many familiar songs. Songs like I Zimbra are performed with remarkable energy but sound similar to the original incarnation, while other songs, like I Should Watch TV, have been transformed to the point of essentially becoming brand new pieces of music
Rated 28 Dec 2020
I know this is a dumb comment this isn't even a criticism okay look I feel weird about bare feet but this is a good concert film
Rated 04 Jan 2022
I don't love the music but this is a great show. "Blind" and the interlude in which the band being introduced and chiming in one by one were the two highlights for me.
Rated 30 Dec 2022
Hamilton'dan sonra izlediğim tiyatral müzikal. Çıplak ayaklarıyla, şarkılar, danslar ve harika kareografilerle baş döndürücü. David Byrne ekibiyle harikalar yaratıyor. Herkes birbiriyle uyumlu. Ama şarkı sözleri saçma ya. Önemli kişilere gönderme yapıyor. Bu hoş da. Dolaylı değilde gözüne bastıra bastıra söylese. Seyirci de 1 acayip. Son sahnedeki gencin kafası uçmuş. Beyni yanmış. Filmin sonunda, Hiçbir yere gitmeyen yoldayız. Fenayım ve tembelim.
Rated 05 Dec 2020
It's a filmed concert, with some revolutionary choreography. It's Talking Heads music, plus some of that weird David Byrne solo stuff. Oh yeah, and it's AWESOME to behold.
Rated 28 Apr 2021
Not quite as visually interesting as Stop Making Sense, but the joy of the performance carries over well.
Rated 21 Oct 2020
I wish everybody was coming to my house
Rated 09 Jan 2022
You have to be a huge TH fan and you have to be able to appreciate theatre-in-cinema, which I didn't really.
Rated 22 Dec 2020
Really great music and commentary mixed with decent but tame choreography. If they had a little more magic with the dancing and movements it would have been mind-blowing. Spike Lee does a good job capturing the mood of the experience.
Rated 12 Jan 2021
A barefooted wonderland.
Rated 19 Oct 2020
Listening to a half hour of this I had already got my review ready: "Answers the question: What if Devo's middle-aged fathers got together to make lame stream-of-consciousness spoken word math rock?" Then he recited a Dada poem. I thought: "...yeah that tracks."