Amistad
Amazon VideoApple TVfuboTVParamount+ Amazon ChannelParamount PlusShowtime Apple TV Channel
Paramount Plus Apple TV Channel
Pluto TV
Paramount+ Roku Premium Channel

1997
Drama, History
Based on a true story, a group of enslaved Africans aboard the slaveship La Amistad overtake the ship and attempt to return to their homeland. When the ship is seized, the captives are brought to the United States where an enthralling courtroom battle ensues that captures the attention of the entire nation while confronting the very foundation of the American justice system. (DreamWorks)
Paramount Plus Apple TV Channel
Google Play Movies
Vudu
Showtime
Microsoft Store
Pluto TV
Paramount+ Roku Premium Channel

Suprisingly forgettable, considering it's by Spielberg.
An intense film that flirts with greatness but is ultimately dragged down by too many melodramatic moments. Djimon Housou and Anthony Hopkins were fantastic in their roles and stole every scene they were in (which thankfully were the majority of them). The rest of the actors did admirably except Morgan Freeman who didn't really seem to fit. It's a long one but worth the time invested.
The least Spielbergian of his films, with only a few masterly crafted scenes of note (especially the first one). Whilst it is brave and important material, 'Amistad' seems to be Oscar catering more than anything else - complete with a scene devouring performance by Hopkins, gifted with his own jaw-droppingly inspirational court appeal. I would have been impressed, but after the 'sailing into the night' speech in 'Independence Day', I was kinda 'Meh'. I jest.
Give us our free!
Solid, and pretty underrated Spielberg film. Djimon Hounsou shines.

Last modified by:mjoc0723mjoc0723 on 20 Apr 2021