Angel and the Badman

1947
Romance
Western

Rated 19 Nov 2007
One of Wayne's better films after his start in 1930's oaters. This film, along with Red River, insured that Wayne's future as a Hollywood star was assured. This story is a simple, feel-good tale but it works because of the Wayne and Gail Russell interplay.
Rated 10 Jul 2011
Surprisingly sophisticated Western for it's time. It's nevertheless really jarring to constantly hear "thee" as a subject rather than an object.
Rated 28 Oct 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkIYolapTeg [1080p]
Rated 15 Feb 2021
Great. (except for the last line)
Rated 13 Nov 2019
This turned out to be a surprisingly entertaining and fun romantic western filled with likable characters. The plot is simple and wholesome in an optimistic/naive kind of way. While John Wayne isn't really that good of an actor he did a good job here.
Rated 04 Apr 2019
This one just felt like a big pile of cliches to me, scripted and shot and acted like a Western TV episode from a 50s show or something. Just kind of washed over me, not like a warm bath, more like a lukewarm bath - a very "Yep, that sure was a western" experience.
Rated 15 Feb 2010
Not a fan of black & white movies but I like John Wayne.
John Wayne is badman, Quirt Evans who is being nursed back to health by angel Penelope Worth (Gail Russell). Healthy again Quirt has to choose between his old life or new one with Penelope.
Rated 27 Aug 2008
Quite romantic and optimistic, this somewhat gentle western place John Wayne in a little awkward position, offering the sturdy cowboy love in return of the gun. Charming in spirit it may be, but the swelling soundtrack bestially harms the more "romantic" scenes and the cinematography isn't very impressive (albeit not bad).
Rated 03 May 2021
1947 wasn't exactly packed with amazing westerns, but I think John Wayne's Angel and the Badman (1947) is the most enjoyable of the lot. It's one of John Wayne's cuter westerns. All about being reformed by a innocent girl. In this case played wonderfully by the adorable Gail Russell. The moment that had me the most, was when she was milking a lamb with tears in her eyes, looking straight at the Wayne after he'd had a wild night out. Wayne confusingly melting at her presence. Had me melting too.