NetflixNetflix basic with Ads

2019
“Atlantiques” tells the story of a young woman from Dakar, whose fast-paced lifestyle is disrupted by the sudden disappearance of her lover. (indiewire)
NetflixNetflix basic with Ads

i added MILLE SOLEILS 7 years ago and it still only has three ratings, so it's been nice to see the feature debut of this talented denis disciple get hype, even if it'd likely work better as another short. the simplistic script is redundant next to images like a seamless shot-reverse shot through a passing train, the strobe lights of an empty club dancing over a lost girl's face, or the haunting motifs of deathly water and righteous fire and something i won't spoil right out of tourneur.
Directed well; nice sense of atmosphere with great music to aid in that. Acted well, with a nice supernatural spin to the romance. I didn't see any glaring flaws but I also don't think that it had the emotional oomph that something like this needed, so it ended up being merely good instead of great.
The visual direction was beautiful! That's really all I need right now in my life in a depressing place (literally and psychologically).
Slow paced impressionistic piece along the same lines with the surrealism of Djibril Mambety, which leaves a "tropique triste" aftertaste as well. Mati's zombie metaphor is an accurate, unforced spiel that amounts to saying that the global south is a huge living-dead, a surplus population. Yet those living dead can haunt the dead-living, the rentier class everywhere (rich man in Dakar), like the ghost in Hamlet or Communist Manifesto. Having said that, I wish I could find more than that. Decent.
Lovely, if perhaps too elliptical, romance told in the shadow of global capitalism.

Director: Mati_DiopMati Diop