2007
Romance
A British romance that spans several decades. Fledgling writer Briony Tallis, as a 13-year-old, irrevocably changes the course of several lives when she accuses her older sister's lover of a crime he did not commit. (imdb)

2007
Romance

Rated 07 May 2020
Not at all the sappy romance film I thought it would be. All of the performances are good, but McAvoy was my favorite performer. It's all so beautifully filmed and made. That continuous shot was awesome. I also like that it jumps around a bit with the time line to keep things moving at a great pace. The first act is kind of slow, but after that, the movie picks up and never stops for a minute. Definitely recommended.
Rated 02 Jan 2008
Well, this turned out to be better than I thought in the beginning. The perception camera going throughout the movie with added memory recall effect makes a solid ground. The unavoidable spiral of events makes it worthwhile a story. A pleasant crowd grabber.
Rated 03 Mar 2008
Starts pretty well but after the crime has happened it jumps few years ahead in time and the downfall begins. By the time it gets to the ending it has managed to ruin everything good the first part did.
Rated 07 Sep 2008
A riveting and touching story that comes with some very beautiful pictures. An excellently chosen cast which is led especially by James McAvoy. Saoirse Ronan also delivers a great performance. Moreover, sound and score are simply marvelous.
Rated 28 Oct 2012
The first half was pretty strong I thought.So was the cinematography (throughout). But the second half felt somewhat over-sentimental and manipulative.The ending could have been interesting but fell flat. Performances were decent (rather liked Saoirse).
Rated 19 Apr 2008
It's good. The first half I found to be relatively forgettable, but then halfway through, there's this AMAZING tracking shot, (seriously it's beautiful, one of the best shots I've ever seen), and something in me clicked right there, or maybe the movie just picked up a lot, but it started to get really good. Its a sad story, shown in a beautiful way.
Rated 16 Jan 2008
Impressive; an extremely good period romance with some fine performances and a very creative script (though the credit for that, I suppose, must be given to the novel - I haven't read it) that, in its nonlinear style of storytelling, gives the story emotional heft by revealing previously hidden aspects and doubling back to show different perspectives. The ending is inspired.
Rated 25 Apr 2010
Spoiler: Personally I wouldn't believe the old lady at the end when she says she's dying, and this last book she wrote is a true story. Since the whole movie before that was about her lies.
Rated 14 Mar 2008
A great first hour is followed by a rather clumsy 40 minutes and a misfire of an ending. The performances are very good as is the direction, both of which keep you watching while the movie completely loses focus in the second half. While the ending could have been interesting the way it's presented makes it feel very manipulative, with an overbearing score and very slow blatant exposition.
Rated 17 Jan 2008
A British crowd-pleaser with American production value, this interesting film deserved a better director. It does a fine job on a technical level, and has some flourishes of directorial wit, but they're contrived and random. All of it just doesn't sum up to an artistic whole, or some kind of identity or world view that isn't the original book author's.
Rated 14 Nov 2007
Joe Wright is irritatingly talented and innovative.
Rated 20 Dec 2008
One of the bests of '07. Although story flows slowly and there are some problems in script, it's still great piece of art. Cinematography is amazing, Saoirse Ronan is amazing, story is fascinating.. Even Keira is great! It was such a shame that Joe Wright wasn't nominated in Academy Awards last year. I really liked it, however I doubt that most of the people do so..
Rated 24 Feb 2008
Okay at best. The story contains a couple of interesting twists, but doesn't really explore its themes very well. I only cared about Briony; Cecilia and Robbie were very bland characters portrayed by very bland actors. The scenes of Robbie in France were largely unnecessary. I liked the ending, but I thought it was a dreadful choice to have Redgrave spell it out so plainly. The score was horribly overbearing and Knightley's style of rapid mumbling can be difficult to comprehend.
Rated 18 May 2008
The storytelling was creative, but the only character I really cared about was Briony. I get frustrated with movies that seem to need characters to do an excessive number of foolish things just to make the plot work, and that was the case here. And while the celebrated long shot was certainly a technical achievement, it was out of place and showy, taking me out of the film completely--though I was already on my way out by that point.
Rated 05 Jan 2008
At times brilliant. I just wish that it didn't get so bogged down with Venessa Redgrave explaining the "message" to the audience.
Rated 13 Feb 2011
I really didn't like Atonement. It was one of the more disappointing films that I've seen, and I didn't even know anything about it going in, meaning I didn't set my expectations very high. It was just a really poor film. The story was boring, the ending angered me, and the characters were dull and unlikable. Almost nothing of the film was of any worth, and save for the one scene that Vanessa Redgrave, I was completely bored while watching it.
Rated 03 Sep 2008
Enthralling first half; boring, meandering (one of the most excruciating - in the try-to-keep-from-dozing-off sense - war-is-hell scenes in cinema) plodding and heavy-handed second half. A film that asks the audiences to remain interested in a story about a grown woman flagellating herself for a lie she made as a child and the couple who still hate her for it. It all makes sense, mind you, it's just more than a little tiresome. Sh-t happens and little kids tell lies. What are you gonna do?
Rated 14 Dec 2022
ben bunu niye beğenir gibi oldum. abartılı tesadüfler olmasa harbi taş gibi film.
Rated 06 Jan 2008
Brilliant! Plenty to admire on screen and plenty to think about, even after the film is over.
Rated 05 Jan 2008
The tracking scene at Dunkirk is fantastic.
Rated 22 Mar 2008
That eight hour tracking shot was one of the best naps I've ever teken.
Rated 23 Sep 2017
This was a disappointing film. It's full of tricks, using time-shifts, an impressively long tracking shot, multiple actors in the same role and, significantly, a typewriter in the soundtrack to underscore the power-relations between film-makers and film audience. In a film that's main plot point hinges on the British class system (or does it?), this surely seems profound--except it seemed annoyingly facile.
Rated 03 Mar 2008
The cinematography is great, but the script, which already has some weak points early on, just gets worse as the movie goes on and the ending is bad and out of style.
Rated 05 Jan 2009
Too boring, but I don't mind - the heartbreaking Elegy for Dunkirk by Dario Mariannelli made the long shot on the beach undoubtedly the best cinematic moment for 2007.
Rated 25 Dec 2008
After the pretty, albiet slow and boring, first half hour, it picks up and enters an actual plot. The middle and end are even more-so dazzling and beautiful and by the end I even began to appreciate the beginning. Had this movie actually has war scenes in it, included war-fare it would have been rated much better. As it stands it is beautiful, but not quite the depiction the era and place deserves.
Rated 06 Feb 2008
Joe Wright gets it done right for the first time in his career with Atonement. It's an incredibly well-shot and well-edited film with some of the most beautiful backdrops and locations I've seen in a long time. It has been years since there was a period romance that was of this quality. There's really nothing but gold here. If you're looking for the year's best, this may very well take the prize come Oscar time. It's simply a remarkable movie that I recommend wholeheartedly.
Rated 27 Oct 2008
Feels like Titanic-lite. The beginning 45 minutes sets up what could be a really strong love story, but then there was really nothing exciting about the rest of the movie to keep my attention.
Rated 16 Sep 2020
Sets up nicely in the first half, but the second half strikes a completely different tone with a much slower pacing. It’s not the most enjoyable, but it’s well made, well acted (including a career starting performance from Ronan), and most notably in my opinion, it has a very interesting and unique score.
Rated 21 Jul 2008
Doesn't half go on a bit. I can see why this got so many rave reviews, and there's some breathtaking cinematography going on, but the story, while being tragically romantic, doesn't really go anywhere that I wanted to go, or that I didn't kind of expect.
Rated 24 Aug 2010
The cinematography in the first act is brilliant however its a bit slow paced and cant give us the full foresight of whats to come. (it still has one of the best `i love you` - `i love you` scenes I`ve ever seen in my life) Then comes the second and last acts which are truly moving and powerful. The 4-5 minutes single shot on the beach is truly impressive. Nice to see Vanessa Redgrave at the end but I`d rather prefer she didn't summarize the whole movie`s message in `Atonement for Dummies` style
Rated 05 May 2008
A beautiful period drama about the love between a rich girl and her family servant's son, and her younger sister's lie that tears their lives apart, and how their love survives against all odds through spite and war. Its a beautiful film, definitely recommended for owning on DVD.
Rated 14 Oct 2016
Well made film, but it feels a bit artificial or fabricated. The acting and the script could and should have been better for this to truly be a good film, though I wouldn't say it's a bad film.
Rated 14 Mar 2008
A pleasant surprise given its packaged a bit like stuffy boring Oscar-bait a la English Patient. The long shot of the beach at Dunkirk rivals the war scene in Children of Men in terms of technical accomplishments -- everything about this movie is top shelf, from the cinematography to the score, and especially the acting. Wright flashes a strong directorial prowess, and the ending packs an unforgettable punch. It's a clear runner-up in a strong year, but definitely not to be missed.
Rated 04 Oct 2008
Epic yet intimate, 'Atonement' is a both timeless and haunting dissection of the hardship of passion, the many faces of truth and the quest for redemption. Though technically flawless - in particular the stunning cinematography, score and costumes could all be viewed as separate pieces of first class art - the shiniest gem is the truly spectacular Saoirse Ronan providing the breakthrough of the decade.
Rated 14 Sep 2012
A pretty film with a actually a good performance of Knightly. Some really beautiful shots, like the one on the beach is quite impressive. I wanted to watch this movie when I read my grampa's diary, during the time when he was in the army. He wrote some things in a very casual manner, when it's actually quite shocking. Unfortunately this movie is more based around romance, and not much of the war itself. Still it gave me a good impression of how it might've been
Rated 20 Jun 2008
The first half was excellent but it really falls apart at the end. The script needed major rewrites but goddamn if it isn't a pretty thing to look at. Also, Keira Knightley acts as well as a board.
Rated 21 Feb 2008
In one of the best movies of 2007. Dramatically emotional and sensible... Atonement, director Joe Wright's masterwork. An excellent production...
Rated 27 May 2008
Highly recommend watching this. Great performance by the lead actors, especially Saoirse Ronan as the 13 year old Briony Tallis. What one person sees with their own eyes does not necessarily make it true, and Atonement does a marvelous job depicting this.
Rated 14 Sep 2008
I would like to say this film petered out, but I can't honestly say it ever picked up enough to peter out in the end.
Rated 17 Sep 2012
Knightley stunning as always. Mcvoy doing the job. Nice but sometimes irritating soundtrack. Nice pictures, sometimes reminded me of J.S Sargent paintings, and sometimes of Monnet. Not a must see, but definitly entertaining.
Rated 05 Jan 2008
A tad too long....but Keira Knightely and James McAvoy are sexy as hell. God I love awkward, repressed British sexuality!
Rated 14 Jan 2008
An incredibly moving story with terrific performances all around and a very unique ending. It deserves attention as one of the best films of 2007, with a CHILDREN OF MEN-esque tracking shot that must've taken months to prepare.
Rated 26 Oct 2008
This movie sucked me in, and didn't let go. The leaving of Dunkirk is one of my favorite tracking shots.
Rated 03 Jan 2009
Love James McAvoy but it slightly irritates me that Keria Knightley is again playing a posh, rich girl who doesnt get her way with one facial expression throughout!
Rated 21 Jun 2016
Rated 12 Jul 2009
Gorgeous cinematography.
Rated 03 Mar 2011
"Atonement" is a love story depicted with the intensity of a thriller. Brilliantly directed by Wright, who achieves visual flawlessness, smartly constructed and acted to perfection by Knightely and McAvoy, whose fleshly, carnal pairing is one of the greatest ever on celluloid, but also by 13-year-old Saoirse Ronan, this is a film that strips away the varnish of English period dramas and offers an unflinching and handsome depiction of an unfulfilled romance. Cinematography and music are perfect.
Rated 15 Dec 2007
Everybody's raving, but I don't know... The final "apologist" premise just didn't cut it for me. James McAvoy is my favorite new actor of the past year, but if you want to see his better performance, catch BECOMING JANE, with a very fetching Anne Hathaway...
Rated 14 Apr 2009
For what it is, pretty damn stunning.
Rated 13 Mar 2008
null
Rated 27 Dec 2015
finalde soyle diyebildim: sen kim kopeksin briony?
Rated 19 Jun 2011
The cinematography is the most impressive aspect of this piece, but the acting is also done well. I was impressed especially with Keira Knightley and Saoirse Ronan's performances. The story works without too many hitches, but I do admit that I don't think Atonement was achieved and I pretty much resented Saoirse Ronan's character. Still, that proves that I was immersed in the drama.
Rated 26 Dec 2007
A beautiful, excellently acted film, though sometimes it became a tad overdramatic. But could a woman REALLY have the exact same hairstyle her entire life? That bothered me to no end.
Rated 12 May 2008
Despite its vulgar underpinnings, this film is stunningly beautiful, and powerful. The scene of Dunkirk is the most visually moving piece of moviemaking and cinematography I have ever seen.
Rated 14 Apr 2008
I liked it. It had a good story and a bit of a twist.
Rated 22 Mar 2008
Hated the book. Movie slightly better.
Rated 28 Sep 2015
ikinci dünya savaşını yalnızca dönem olarak aldığı için bu niteleme belki alakasız görülebilir, ama o toplama kamplarının şeytani kişilikler değil, bizatihi insanlar tarafından yapıldığını, insan doğasındaki içkin nemrutluğu göstermesi sebebiyle en iyi ikinci dünya savaşı filmlerinden biri demek hiç de isabetsiz bir tabir olmaz. kısa bir öykü mahiyetinde aslında fazla ilgi çekici de olmayan bir hikayenin yine de böylesine filme yansımış olması joe wrig
Rated 17 Nov 2010
Feels very, very neat, like a very well-made bed. But those sorts of beds are more prone to attract bed-bugs. I don't know what I'm saying, maybe that this film is very nice-looking a a bit boring.
Rated 02 Sep 2009
terrible acting, poor script and repetative music
Rated 18 May 2008
Loved it. The score was perfect.
Rated 12 Jul 2008
Sloooooooooooooow.
Rated 31 Mar 2024
Rated 25 Sep 2010
What a little fucking brat.
Rated 06 Jun 2012
In summary: Great first hour, boring middle, and an ending that can go either way. Personally, I liked the ending, but I was prepared by the book. Score is not a grade.
Rated 28 Jun 2008
In a word, brilliant. This movie is a feast for the eyes, and it's storyline is excellent. Very good movie.
Rated 15 Feb 2012
"...if all we have rests in a few moments in a library three and a half years ago, then I don't know... I don't... " "Robbie... look at me. Look at me. Come back. Come back to me."
Rated 28 Jan 2008
The first half of the movie dragged and was unimpressive. However, the film came around in the second half with performances that really pulled at the heart.
Rated 15 Feb 2008
The beginning 45 minutes is a perfect movie! Story is oozing sex. Every single frame contains tons of loaded (undergrowing) sexuality. Mostly from the point of view of 13-year-old girl who does not know much about it. And it leads her thoughts in to the totally wrong tracks. The latter half of the movie is extented to the booring limits. Except nearly ten minutes long continious camera drive through the battle field!
Rated 30 Mar 2024
Rated 05 Apr 2008
a bit slow-paced, with a hard-to-swallow hole in the story line, but good performances; much better in the second half
Rated 06 Jul 2010
The soundtrack alone is pure brilliance. Gripping, saddening, tricky film. The cinematography is beautiful and well-flowing, the performances quite solid even by the logpiece that is Keira, and the nonlinear style inspiring and effective in a film that seeps poetry and lyricism, illusive sensations and symphonic symmetry to complement the pace. Also - I wouldn't mind receiving Robbie's anatomical letter. And, judging from Cecilia's reaction, she didn't mind either.
Rated 28 Dec 2018
This movie made me angry. That's not atonement, it's continuing to be a self-centered asshole. Life's to short to watch it again to work out if this score is reasonable.
Rated 26 Mar 2008
Very well put together, but it seemed a little off balance due to the conversion between book and movie
Rated 22 Aug 2015
The sumptuous cinematography does an excellent job of capturing the stark realism of war against which some of this (very upper-crust English wot wot) love story is played. I have mixed feelings about the ending though.
Rated 30 Oct 2013
Very clunky and at times overly sentimental, and the ending though a nice idea is far too blunt, though the period detail and cinematography look great, the typewriter in the musical score is awesome, the war stuff is grim and made all the more effective by us never seeing any battling and Ronan and Garai both give great performances as Briony Tallis. Moving, though imperfect.
Rated 09 Feb 2010
A tragic war tale that quite impressed me by the way the story is told, ever connected with the sound of a typewriter, and decent acting. A role which really suits Keira Knightley makes it all the better. I'd put it among the good war dramas.
Rated 29 Dec 2007
The first act is a masterpiece. The rest, your standard, typical period romantic piece.
Rated 16 Nov 2012
Lovely cinematography (see the coloring and tracking shots), paired with a storytelling that boldly moves through time and memory, equals a wonderful period drama. Stronger romantic chemistry or a more cohesive feel could have improved the film, but as is, it hardly needs improving.
Rated 07 Mar 2008
Looks amazing, story is only okay. I think it's overrated.
Rated 08 Jan 2008
Sad movie.
Rated 03 Apr 2013
All those years, she has never changed her hairstyle! I would't like to put myself in her place!
Rated 09 Oct 2021
Beautiful cinematography and great cast. I’m a sucker for anything that parallels my life. Robbie resembles a man I have loved like no other. 01:03:20 A frog, in the night, licks its lips. “The story can resume…The one I had been planning…I can become again the man who once…with the clarity of passion, made love to you…The story can resume. I will return, find you, love you, marry you. And live without shame.” Without hope, what do we have? I had hoped to be each other’s last
Rated 08 Aug 2010
#08#, reviews, story, Keira K
Rated 14 Apr 2024
Rated 13 May 2020
Not sure how I missed this one. Expecting a possibly sappy romance, it was so much more. The acting, writing and cinematography is outstanding. Not to mention the music, for which it won the Academy Award. Bonus: great twist at the end.
Rated 07 Jul 2010
Starts good, continues good, when you getting close to the end, dramas of the characters get all together and make you forget who would you cry for. Unbalanced movie but still good.
Rated 28 Apr 2016
W4E0P2S1V2M2A2R3. The movie I would want to watch if I got a gorgeous new 4k display, which has also stuck in my craw emotionally for a really long time.
Rated 09 Mar 2014
great cast, timing, and art.
Rated 13 Jan 2008
The heated drama takes a bit to get into, but Wright has directed a headstrong adaptation with solid performances across the board. The time shifts forward and backward sometimes confuse rather than further the story in seeing multiple points of view and the romance between McAvoy and Knightley feels a bit distant at times for this kind of film, but by the end it's a passionate and heartbreaking film.
Rated 18 Feb 2008
A truly bizarre attempt to turn a very intimate story of three people into a full scale epic. The film was obviously extremely expensive, even though at least half of it doesn't advance the storyline or present any new ideas whatsoever. There are some fine moments and shots, mostly at the beginning, but I despise the pointlessly baroque opulence of the whole thing. And don't even get me started about the final twist.
Rated 08 Mar 2023
Grand drame sur les conséquences épouvantables d'un mensonge d'une petite conne. La peste par excellence, manipulatrice et odieuse, jouée par 3 excellentes actrices. James MacAvoy est la grâce incarnée tant sa figure angélique est de tous les plans. Et les séquences reconstituées sont mémorables. Ce n'est pas le meilleur film de tous les temps mais le travail fourni est incroyablement réussi.
Rated 28 Mar 2015
Takes the viewer by the hand, squeezes it and points at things, which was bearable until the po-mo/meta stuff (think French Lieutenant's Woman) made me really resent it. Some nice visuals -if a little gimmicky in places- and a solid cast. No idea how the book goes but this felt hampered, 'dumbed down'.
Rated 26 Oct 2012
* Casting, Acting : 8 * Script : 8 * Directing, Aura : 8 * Ease of Viewing : 6 * Naked Eye : 7
Rated 29 Jan 2008
I only liked the long war scene. This film has lots of mistakes about telling story or i hate movies like that. Ok, I like English Patient, Cold Mountain etc. I tolerate "The Notebook" but It's 2007, same shit.When are they going to stop filming this kind? and.. Keira Knightley was unlovely.
Rated 29 Mar 2020
This is one of those surreal films that just has such an engrossing vibe that it sticks with you for a long time. I watched this back in high school after we read the book, and in all honesty, I preferred the film's ending to the book. The soundtrack is also amazing, and props to Saoirse Ronan for being such a captivating young Briony.
Rated 11 Sep 2011
This book is so phenomenal that even though the film is a bit flat, the sheer power of the story makes it worth watching. Disturbing, intense, a story of class struggle and betrayal in WW2 Britain. Great acting all around. Very sad.
Rated 23 Mar 2014
i saw this film years ago and completely hated it because i didn't understand it at all. watching it again, i'm baffled by how that's possible, because this film is so exceptional in every way. such a nuanced poignant story and so beautiful. joe wright really shows his true breadth as a filmmaker here.
Rated 23 Mar 2009
Does all the right moves and thats where it falters; I have seen it all before. The story does have some perks though. The techs and acting are tops. Directing is phenomenal.
Rated 08 Apr 2009
strong acts I & III, but loses points for a weak act II.....
Rated 14 Jul 2008
The best film of 2007. Atonement is breath taking and heart breaking.