Viewster Amazon Channel Retrocrush Cineverse

1983
War
A boy and his family struggle to survive in Hiroshima in the waning days of WWII. Then the bomb hits and horror ensues. (Summary by PeaceAnarchy)

1983
War

Not quite as good as Grave of the Fireflies, but just as effective and tear inducing.
Rated 12 Dec 2009
For the first half hour this is a pretty cheery mediocre anime, then suddenly shit gets real with some truly gruesome and impacting images, but only for a little while. Unfortunately, it can't really sustain the heavy emotional impact it's going for, falling back constantly on silly melodrama with occasional somber moments. It's above average and historically interesting, but not really anything more than that.
Rated 28 Jun 2013
A juvenile approach to a horrific story, Barefoot Gen, despite its animation, is emotionally wrecking. There are a number of scenes that will absolutely be ingrained in your mind, and though it may not be that other WW2 anime flick, those scenes alone make this worth a watch. The score, however, would have been much higher if it weren't for a lackluster final act and some other story-related choices.
Rated 31 Mar 2007
One of the few animes about "real" things... no giant monsters or robots or anything, it's about a little boy trying to survive postnuke Hiroshima. Juvenile but really something
Rated 25 Apr 2011
I *loathe* half the running time. But the goldfish-esque internal memory of the film is perfectly reflective of a child in that situation. I rate this on *the* scene that makes this film noteworthy. If you can sit through it and still feel that initiating an expansionist war is a good thing, you're colder than I! Often mistaken for an anti-American film, it's in fact subtly anti-Jingoistic. Treat it like a short film and it's marvellous.
Rated 23 Sep 2011
The bad animation sometimes makes serious things (people being vaporized by the atomic bomb) look unintentionally funny.
Rated 12 Oct 2011
Occasionally has the same vibe as the joyful 'Heidi'-anime I used to watch on German television as a kid. Apart, of course, from the nuclear holocaust making peoples skin sear away from their bodies and their eyes crawl out of their skulls. And corpses in the streets...the thousands and thousands of rotting corpses. People have complained that it's too silly to take seriously, but go on then: You make film about the annihilation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki that appeals to Japanese kids.
Rated 24 Feb 2012
Its bomb dropping sequence is absolutely incredible.
Rated 12 Jul 2015
A fairly good war movie with plenty of disturbing imagery. Said disturbing imagery is what knocks it down in my opinion.
Rated 13 Jan 2013
Rated 25 Oct 2015
Comparing the two animated films about when Japan was attacked, Barefoot Gen actually tops Grave of the Fireflies in terms of execution, because its reality is depicted with less manipulation and spoon-feeding
Rated 06 Sep 2016
The buildup was really predictable, but after the bomb drops, the rest of the story is just horrific.
Rated 11 May 2018
pelo meio
Rated 24 Oct 2018
a disservice to such a serious subject
Rated 07 Jun 2019
Daikichi Nakaoka: "This war can't be right. But it's only the cowards like me who dare say it. If there were only a few more like us. You know, sometimes it takes more courage not to fight than to fight, to not want to kill when all around you are calling out for blood. That's real courage in my book. If you boys remember nothing else I teach you, I hope you'll remember that."
Rated 25 Feb 2021
haters can suck on a b-29. this is the best antiwar documentary of all time
Rated 08 Aug 2021
Similar to the mawkishness of Grave of the Fireflies regarding the horror of the bombing of Japan juxtaposed with the innocence of children, Barefoot Gen surpasses it in graphic brutality (the detonation scene is up there with the most disturbing things I've seen in Japanese animation). However the poor overall level of animation compared to GotF makes it a runner up rather than a companion piece.
Rated 18 Sep 2022
A truly horrifying work of art.
Rated 19 Aug 2023
True horror. Should be screened before Oppenheimer.
Rated 19 Jun 2015
Very well-put-together, though for me it just didn't connect on an emotional level. I think it has something to do with the music, which would have been more at home in a sweeping epic like Lawrence of Arabia, rather than here, where it just comes across as overwrought. The low production values are clear, but the story is well-structured and the imagery is powerful and will stick with you for a long time. Worth a watch, but it does have its pitfalls.
Rated 17 Jul 2014
Dialogue dire, plot plodding, but depiction of destruction chilling.
Rated 03 May 2014
Devastating, brutal, must watch.
Rated 10 Dec 2012
It is hard to say something specific, its reception is based mostly on emotions.Well, of course it has bad sides-the animation's old,therefore bad and several scenes, instead of gross or sad, are kind of funny.Some actions are not very probable to happen from the psychological point of view. I highly doubt that people recover emotionally that fast-faster than their bodies, in some cases.The manga has a deeper insight, so I recommend it. On the other side,it's still worth watching.Just like that.
Rated 15 Jul 2012
Gruelling story, but the same can be said about the animation.
Rated 14 Nov 2011
GORE, GORE EVERYWHERE
Rated 20 Sep 2010
Great look into the effect of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings, however it suffers from horrific voice work, in both Japanese and English. The change of artstyle when the bombers are shown (to a more American style) is one of the coolest effects I've seen in animation. Definitely worth watching, but prepare to cringe at the voicework.
Rated 25 Sep 2009
A very intense depiction of the effects of the bomb.
Rated 29 Jun 2009
It's obvious from the plot summary that the movie is going to be melodramatic, cheesy, and preachy. But it also has an irritating lead and a sudden resurrection. But I at least appreciated the art style, which contradicted the dark subject matter.
In the right hands, this could have been a great movie. Powerful subject matter and a good story. But it's undermined by mediocre animation, poor acting, a sentimental script, and an overbearing score.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
Stay away from this one. 'Grave of the Fireflies' is much superior.