Batman

Batman

1989
Sci-fi
Crime

Jack Nicholson's take on The Joker is absolutely amazing and although I think Christian Bale did a better Batman I thought Michael Keaton was a better and more captivating Bruce Wayne. Tim Burton's visual style worked perfectly for this movie, as it is based off a comic book. I'd have to honestly say it has aged quite well and I'd consider it as good as Batman Begins.
Rated 02 Dec 2015
A really silly movie pretending to be "dark." Certainly watchable, but impossible to take seriously.
Rated 24 Aug 2014
WE NEED A GRITTY BATMAN WE NEED PRINCE.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
Awesome visual style and iconic performances by Jack Nicholson. Easily one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen.
Rated 29 Apr 2011
Not bad, certainly not, but inconsistent and unfocused. It tries to blend silly and serious, but doesn't always understand how. Plus, all of the film's best elements were taken and distilled into complete awesome by Batman: The Animated Series, so it suffers in comparison. Still, a worthy use of two hours. (2023 edit: I appreciate the aesthetic and what it's doing more on a second watch, but it really does fall apart in the third act, and also whenever dudes start fighting over a girl.)
A nightmarish fairy tale version of the Dark Knight. Burton's film is an astonishingly - even perversely - violent and macabre comedy, blessed with an insistent, thundering score by Elfman. Keaton plays Batman in the Burton hero mold - isolated, childish but with an inkling of sweetness. Kim Basinger plays Vale as a overbearing stalker of a woman one minute, a pedestal blonde the next. Nicholson is portly but terrifying as the clown prince of crime. His violence an avant garde experiment.
Rated 26 Aug 2007
This has not aged well.
Rated 17 May 2008
Tim Burton's style makes the movie seem a bit nutty, considering the Joker is a nut that's a good thing. I am though unimpressed with the novelty of Burton's movie making, they seem to get old faster than you would like.
At the time, it was the best super hero film since Superman the Movie, and it was also a huge success. This film showed Batman as a dark and troubled character for the first time on film. Jack Nicholson was a brilliantly evil Joker, Batman's greatest villain, and Michael Keaton was a surprisingly good Batman/Bruce Wayne. As an origin story, it is left thin, but most of the film is extremely entertaining for fans of the Dark Knight. Really good!
Rated 16 Nov 2014
A work of German Expressionism that came about 60 years too late, but it worked out alright. Doesn't mean I wouldn't have loved a Peter Lorre Joker.
Rated 10 Jun 2009
(2nd viewing) Years since I've last seen it, the first scene lets you know you're in for a rather silly ride (guy takes family through dark alley: "I know where I'm going..."), Joker's stance on anarchy: destroying paintings (smooth man...). Keaton is the film's only redeeming quality, his portrayal of Bruce Wayne is quite likeable. Burton has made better films indeed...
Rated 20 Aug 2008
Most films would've collapsed under the amount of hyped anticipation that preceded this. MOST. Kudos 2 Burton (back when his aesthetic was fresh) 4 most of his choices here (barring the interminable Joker parade), but esp.4 insisting on Keaton. It's an original take on Bats, playing up the previously ignored social awkwardness a costumed obsessive-compulsive might display, 4 example, on a date. & it's no small feat that Keaton's never overshadowed by Nicholson's pefectly over-the-top Joker.
Rated 17 Jul 2012
In my opinion, this is the best Batman movie ever made. It has a few flaws, but the story is great, and both Batman and Joker are played by very good actors who play their part well. To me, Keaton is the best movie Batman.
Screw Batman Begins. This is still the best Batman movie.
Rated 08 Aug 2021
This is the Jack Nicholson show, and it's worth the price of admission. Superhero films these days need a scene where the villains vandalize an art gallery. Tim Burton does such a good job in this film.
Rated 24 May 2012
It will always be worth watching for Nicholson. Keaton is not an action hero, but he is very likable.
Rated 04 Sep 2009
Long ago I thought it was neat, but it is actually quite boring. Not much actually... happens. For 2 hours. A lot of recycled shots and canned dialog. Generally good performances by Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson but the screenplay really didn't give them a heck of a lot to work with. Nice soundtrack from Elfman. Visual style of Gotham is OK but not dramatic enough. A lot of poor lighting, trying to disguise the fact that sets were not as elaborate as they could have been.
Rated 20 Oct 2007
Michael Keaton looks and sounds more like a reclusive, creepy dude with a neckbeard almost as large as his social anxiety issues, who loves the Batman comics than Batman himself. Danny Elfman's theme is classic, Nicholson is enjoyable playing himself, and Burton's imagining of the Batman world works fairly well. Just not a particularly compelling film.
Rated 01 Jul 2021
Some thirty years on I still don’t see the appeal (and I’m someone who usually likes the seasoning of some nostalgia/distance). Well, I see the appeal as a Joker movie - Nicholson is a blast. But as a Batman movie, everything feels hokey and shallow, the threat nonexistent, Gotham a soundstage, all the action scenes treated with the gravity of Darkwing Duck, Michael Keaton unconvincing and Danny Elfman’s music all sounds like overaggressive circus tunes. Shocked this was such a hit.
Rated 19 Jul 2008
A fantastic recreation of Gotham City, Jack Nicholson creating scenery on the side for the sole purpose of devouring it, and an actor in the batsuit that nobody that could do it (and knocked it out of the park). I will always love watching this.
Rated 06 Sep 2014
Ahhh, a time when Burton was a talented and visionary filmmaker. His Gotham strikes such a perfect balance of fun, campy, and comic-booky on the one hand, and scary and menacing on the other. Both Keaton and Nicholson play their characters perfectly. The only reason this movie doesn't achieve greatness is that the action sequences are really bad.
Rated 13 Oct 2018
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jack Nicholson is a little too good at playing crazy people.
Rated 04 Jul 2010
Holds up today better than any of the other pre-Nolan batman movie (I do not include the gloriously cheesy TV show) but is fairly weak. It is interesting how the story is approached predominantly from the Kim Basinger character's point of view. But it lacks in what passes for acceptable action today, acceptable character depth, and it doesn't really commit to its story. just okay.
Rated 08 Jul 2014
Essentially a collection of brilliant set pieces tied together by a rickety plot, Batman relies greatly on its considerable star power, magnificent set design and Elfman's bombastic score to paper over the cracks, which are more apparent now than they were in 1989. What it lacks is a sense of aesthetic and thematic unity that Burton was able to provide in the next installment when he was given total control over the creative direction of the franchise.
Rated 12 Jul 2009
Most points going to Nicholson here, he's fantastic.
Rated 28 Aug 2019
A childhood favourite that still holds up today. Burton's dark gothic production design was magnificent at the time and the score is so legendary it's still being called back fondly by modern franchise entries. But it's all about Jack here isn't it? While I prefer Ledger's take, Jack's Joker was the first cinematic glimpse of the dark insanity of the character which made him into the pop culture icon he is today.
Rated 07 Jun 2011
It isn't as good as Nolan's Batman, in my opinion, but Keaten was a very good Batman and the movie itself was good. And no, Jack's Joker will never be as good as Ledger's Joker. Good flick though.
Rated 19 Feb 2007
A movie is not a still photograph. Things need to happen.
Rated 30 Jul 2013
First film I saw in a movie theatre and it still holds up well. Burton's style of tongue-in-cheek gothic works beautifully as a mix of the campy 60s Batman and the darker origins of the character. Keaton is great in the lead, but this show belongs to Nicholson's Joker who turns hamming into an artform. Could have done without the Prince songs, which were bad even at the time.
Rated 01 Mar 2007
Good film.
Rated 26 Feb 2008
Worth checking out, but it is really dated and not terribly exciting.
Rated 04 Mar 2007
Cartoon noir. Equal parts goofy and shadowy. I really enjoy this depiction of Gotham, shaped with a creative mix of miniature, animation, and matte paintings. Nicholson is hilarious.
Rated 13 Feb 2016
This film was okay. It certainly didn't wow me.
Rated 19 Nov 2023
Top badass moment? In a gratuitous display of personal hubris, Batman gives the City an enormous searchlight to summon him with. To terrify Gotham’s criminals, Bruce Wayne decides to fight them in a costume specifically designed to make it as difficult as possible to move in - his Lego version has more flexibility and he can only bend at the waist. After growing up with Adam West's Batman, seeing this film for the first time was nothing short of mind-blowing. No cats, chainsaws or decapitations.
Rated 01 Apr 2007
Tim Burton decides to do a Batman movie like an opera. It works like... well, like gangbusters
Rated 14 Jun 2008
Very Nice
Rated 13 May 2010
Best super hero movie ever. 100% from the comic books without fooling around. Michael Keaton works well as Batman and Jack Nicholson is awesome as the Joker. The movie have touch of mafia movies and that makes it even better. The music supports the dramatic pictures and will stay in mind. It's Batman straight from the comic book.
Rated 10 Oct 2019
This movie did not hold up as well as I thought it would. The story is really thin. Joker doesn't seem to have any real motivations or goals, and we don't get much character development with any other characters either. It just feels like action for the sake of action. Decent visual look, and Nicholson/Keaton are fun, but the movie as a whole feels lacking.
Rated 09 Jul 2007
Really cool and dark. Great performance by Nicholson. Definitely responsible for rescuing the Batman mythos and making it into something respectable after that godawful, dreky television series.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
One of the better Batman flicks. I'm a little more partial to Batman Returns, but Jack Nicholson plays a great Joker.
Rated 24 Jul 2007
Tim Burton's aesthetic worked really well for this film; it was both dark and yet slightly comic. Keaton was a good Batman, Nicholson scared the shit outta me as The Joker, and I liked Kim Basinger as Vicky Vale. Solid... too bad the Batman films that followed sucked, for the most part.
Rated 15 Oct 2009
A decent bit of fun but it doesn't stand the test of time all that well. It's trying to balance cheesiness and self importance and the fact that it's not a horrific failure it its biggest success. The lead performances are pretty good but it's hard to get past the silliness of the world around them.
Rated 30 Jul 2010
Some cool production design and Jack Nicholson can't save this movie from being really, really lame. It doesn't help that many of the special effects shots are incredibly dated, to the point where they aren't even charming in that 'Harryhausen' way, it's just "badly adjusted matte painting" here and "ludicrous armored car" there.
Rated 21 Feb 2008
Good movie, but it didn't have the BAM, POW and BOOM signs in it, which hurt its score a bit. Nicholson as the Joker was classic. Now this is a Nicholson role. Not those stupid As Good As it Gets roles.
Rated 31 Mar 2011
The Batman films in order of greatness: This, the Nolan films, all the rest. That is not an opinion. That is a fact.
Tim Burton's formula of how a comic book hero movie is done should be studied by anyone planning on churning out the half dozen or so we'll see next year.
Keaton was good, but how much can you achieve doing comic book stuff?
It has not aged well, but Tim Burton's gothic Gotham and Danny Elfman's swelling score - along with Keaton as a subdued Batman - make this film worth watching.
Not only one of the great super hero movies, Batman puts most action flix to shame. For me Jack Nicholas IS the Joker, I don't think a finer fit could ever have been made. Although being a Batman fan I feel that much more could have been done, beggars can't be choosers.
Rated 13 Jan 2009
This is my favorite movie of all time. Probably not even the best Batman movie, but definitely my favorite. Never mind the summer blockbuster release and endless quotables...the more I watched it, the more i appreciated how it stood on its own as a unique and dark studio classic.
Rated 14 Jul 2009
I like Burton / Batman and this movie did have some memorable moments.
Rated 23 Sep 2008
I like the Batman versions of Tim Burton best.
A great comic book movie, and starting chapter of the franchise. Tim Burton created a perfect vision of Batman. Micheal Keaton is still my favorite Batman, and Kim Basinger is incredibly sexy in this movie, but it's Jack Nicholson who steals the show as the Joker, simultaneously funny and creepy.
Rated 20 Nov 2012
lurvley
Tim Burton proves he knows how to butcher a character! When he said during an interview that he has never read a comic in his life, it showed with this piece of garbage. This is not Batman. The story is way off. The casting isn't great, but passable. I was so hopeful when this came out and was so let down.
Looked really good back when it was made. It was campy, funny, and featured a over the top/goofy Joker. But now that we've seen what a real Batman movie looks like, it's VERY flawed. Tim Burton is not someone who's proclaimed "anyone who knows me knows I'd never read a comic book". Well Tim, it shows.
This film has not aged well.
For a long time, this was my favorite superhero flick, right behind Superman II. But with Batman Begins out, the flaws in this movie come through. Despite that the following must be said: Michael Keaton was an excellent choice for Batman (the schizophrenic version) , but it was Jack's movie.
Rated 13 Jul 2013
Failed attempt at fusing the cartoonishness of the comics & old TV series with a darker, grittier look. Burton just seems to throw random stuff he likes together and assume that it will mesh, because he's Burton. I like the idea of casting Keaton as Batman, but his acting is too wooden (even for Batman) to pull it off. Nicholson's good, but the waltz-synchronized final fight scene was the only part I really liked.
doesn't really hold up more than 15 years later
Rated 18 Oct 2010
Looks very derivative of Blade Runner, but Jack Nicholson is loads of fun as The Joker and Michael Keaton does the duel performance of Batman and Bruce Wayne really well.
Rated 09 Sep 2023
Jack Nicholson is simply the best Joker of all times.
Oh, Tim Burton, what WON'T you make gothy? I really hate it when people try to present a "dark side" to comic books for kiddies. Give me the Adam West Batman, at least they understand how silly the whole thing is.
Rated 17 Apr 2020
Under Quarantine Film Reviews #49: Tim Burton manages to not only add his signature gothic charm to the film but also manages to instill some of the campiness of the original show. Jack Nicholson is the standout and legitimately reveling in playing the Joker, albeit a bastardized version of the character. AND THE PRINCE SOUNDTRACK!!!
Rated 19 Jan 2011
To me, this is what Batman is about. While there are some changes made to the character, the film noir feeling and the atmosphere of Gotham City has yet to be matched. Michael Keaton brings a lot of subtlety to the role, and Jack Nicholson is a wonderful Joker, being the most psychotic and unpredictable of any screen rendition of the Joker. Do I even need to mention the score by Danny Elfman? Incredible. Batman has stood the test of time and still puts a smile on my face every time I watch it.
Rated 14 Mar 2008
This was one of my favourites when I was a little kid, and I can still respect it on a technical level, especially for its time. But...there are problems. Numerous problems, made all the more glaring by Nolan's 'Begins' -- a demonstration on how this should be done. Shot during a writer strike, Burton had free reign to make creative changes to the mythos, which results in some mind-bogglingly stupid bits, and a film that's more Jack being Jack than actual Batman. Also, the Prince songs suck.
Rated 27 Oct 2014
Surely not as high as Nolan's stuff, but this movie has its own good style and Keaton is surely one of the better interpretations of The Dark Knight throughout history, maybe even better than Bale - but that really is close call. Nicholson as Joker is really high class as well.
Rated 28 Aug 2009
I dug this when it came out, but saw it again recently in a cinema and boy has it dated. It just seems daft. Nicholson's joker is just ridiculous and the movie is stupid, overstylized (but not in a sin city, 300 way), juvenile, full of holes etc. Best thing is MAJESTIC score by Elfman - the main theme is AMAZING. But skip the movie...
Rated 28 Jun 2008
Michael Keaton is my Batman
Rated 07 May 2020
MY FAVORITE MOVIE! I will not be objective!
Rated 23 Dec 2010
Okay, never was a fan. But pales in comparision to Nolan's versions.
Rated 25 Aug 2009
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Rated 04 Dec 2006
tim burton's was probably the best batman in the series of four
Rated 28 Dec 2011
Nicholson is great as Joker, but by the end this movie comes off the rails. It's still an immensely watchable and entertaining movie, but the third act doesn't work for me. Burton improved upon it with Batman Returns.
Rated 20 Feb 2010
Rated 19 Oct 2010
It's Batman, ok ? it could be as crappy as possible - I would still love it.
Rated 16 Jan 2007
i think it s a joker movie i d like the batman begins better
Rated 05 Sep 2008
Jack Nicholson is fantastic and the whole film is beautiful to behold, as you'd expect from a Tim Burton flick. Nevertheless, I felt it to be all style and no substance, and screwing around with the Batman storyline and canon is ill-advised.
Rated 28 Mar 2009
Great movie. One of the best superhero movies ever and wonderful acting from Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton.
Rated 30 Apr 2007
great sense of humour from Jack Nicholson as the Joker..
Rated 21 Nov 2009
Great set pieces; Keaton is interesting as a super-hero; Nicholson and story pretty bland.
Rated 27 May 2008
almost perfect, if it wasn't for Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins!
Rated 09 Jul 2010
I'm probably in the minority, but I am not a fan of Burton's Batman universe. He tried to combine the comical with a dark atmosphere and it didn't work for me.
gotta like the original...
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Now over twenty years old, this remains as fun and entertaining as ever. This may still be my favourite Tim Burton film, as he balances his own distinctive humorous gothic style with the traditional Batman comic book-esq style so well. Keaton is very watchable as Wayne/Batman, and Nicholson puts in a performance as the Joker that was considered possibly the best performance of any Batman film, until Ledger turned up a blew him out of the water! Still one of the best superhero films.
In 1989, the stylized, artificial, almost expressionistic “urban gothic” sets were very impressive, especially in such a mass market movie, and the casting of Jack Nicholson was a real coup that definitely adds to the film’s watchability. But already in 1989, the self-consciously silly story, which does have some amusing moments, seemed all too rudimentary, going nowhere and ultimately becoming tedious as it peters out with an uninteresting death and underwhelming final flick of a lightswitch.
Pretty well the best Batman movie ever.
Rated 12 Mar 2011
best Batman, best Joker
Michael Keaton makes a surprisingly good Batman in this first in the series. Tim Burton's vision of Gotham City is way cool and as usual Jack Nicholson shines as the joker
The only reason I didn't give this film a 100 is because of Batman Begins
Rated 08 Sep 2009
Returning to the dark, brooding roots of the Kane comic-strip character, this megabuck movie eschews the campiness of the old TV show in favor of angst galore. Keaton is the deeply disturbed Bruce Wayne who dons the Bat costume in order to deal out vigilante vengeance against the criminal element he holds responsible for the death of his parents. Nicholson, meanwhile, steals it in a proto-Jack performance as the toxin-scarred, totally bonkers Joker while Basinger is vapid and annoying
Rated 04 Jul 2009
A so-so film that has an incredibly campy villain, but Batman Returns was much better. Solidly entertaining film none-the-less.
Rated 11 Feb 2008
The most amazing thing about this comic book film adaptation of Batman is that major studios took so long (11 years) to follow the success of "Superman" with DC Comic's other icon. Curious casting (Keaton as Bruce Wayne/Batman, Nicholson as Joker) is almost redeemed by their individual acting talents. The horribly written Prince song, however, couldn't have been more out of place.
Rated 30 Aug 2007
A comic-faithful movie made when they were still rare. The Burtonization doesn't quite fit the franchise at times, but it's a pretty decent movie nevertheless.
Rated 31 May 2012
Everything looks so shitty. Really makes you appreciate Nolan's Batman universe. Besides Jack Nicholson, this film is really lacking. Jack is really great here, honestly one of his best performances. The sets, locations, everything just looks so incredibly fake and the story is predictable and not that interesting. Has some cool scenes but mostly it's just dated and not that fun.
Rated 11 May 2024
One of my fav Batman movies
Rated 21 Jul 2008
One of the best superhero movies ever. Has some great visuals, and amazing acting from Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton.
Rated 07 Mar 2008
Jack and Keaton are two dudes that I'd love to hang out with, and the fact that they're dressed up in goofy costumes battling to a Prince soundtrack basically makes this one a winner.
Rated 17 Oct 2007
A classic. This dark vision, brought to life by genius, Tim Burton, unleashed a juggernaut on the movie watching world. Keaton truly delivered as both a moody billionaire playboy, and an avenging vigilante bent for justice. Nicholson's over-the-top performance as The Joker is worth the admission alone and Kim Bassinger reminds us of why she was an 80's screen goddess. The sets look like hell erupted and Gotham sprang forth from it's belly. Visionary and fun till the very end.
Rated 01 Dec 2007
Batman was the undisputed best of the original film series. It was heavily stylized (Burton at his best), had great performances by all major characters, and it set the bar for super hero movies. The movie also featured a great score by Danny Elfman. It loses 4 points for the somewhat annoying performance of Kim Basinger as Vicki Vale.