Batman Begins

Batman Begins

2005

Rated 29 Jun 2016
The first live-action movie that really got Batman right. Intelligent, serious, exciting, and moving in all the right ways.
Rated 27 Dec 2007
The first 15 minutes of Batman Begins are better than the last three Batman movies combined. Proof that, when taken seriously by people who really understand the source material, comic book movies can be as compelling as anything else.
Easily the best Batman movie ever. They somehow fit a full explaining of the character's backstory, roots and motivations, along with great villains, into roughly 2 hours. Simply outstanding. Improves greatly upon repeated viewings. Has to lose 4 points because of Katie Holmes.
Rated 14 Jun 2021
Nolan's creativity came in not creating a prequel, but a reboot; an almost unheard-of idea at the time. His pre-filming screening of Blade Runner shines as an influence, as Chicago is transformed into a Gotham City full of urban renewal. Likewise, the impact of Richard Donner's Superman comes across by casting known dramatic actors for a fanboy comic book movie. It all still holds up, with "Nolan-esque" now shorthand for grounded realism & the MCU using the picture as a template for Iron Man.
Surpassed my expectations. I couldn't believe how rock solid they made the development of Bruce Wayne into Batman. When the action finally kicks in after an hour-plus of character development, it makes it that much better. Very dark, and just how a Batman film should be. My favorite comic book movie thus far.
Rated 29 Aug 2018
There's like ten characters and five of them are Batman's father figures. Which one was your favorite? Oldman had the dadliest mustache, Caine had the best smartass shtick, Freeman was definitely the 'cool' dad and Neeson the disciplinarian...you got an oscar-worthy Wild Hogs in there somewhere.
As far as Batman goes, this is easily the best of the series. It was nice to finally see a SERIOUS look at a Batman movie. While many will contend that the first of the Tim Burton Batman's is the best, I wholeheartedly disagree. This is truly the only Batman movie that has come close to getting it right.
Rated 17 Jan 2007
Certainly not a BAD film: well-constructed, fairly enjoyable from start to finish, even mildly exciting at times. But I'm tired of people making comic book stories "adult". Comics are fun, brainless, childish entertainment; trying to make them complex by giving the hero a dark side just seems silly. It's more adolescent than adult. And what the hell is Katie Holmes doing here? She's nothing more than a pair of nipples which have a habit of poking through whatever she happens to be wearing.
Rated 27 Feb 2021
Batman Begins deserves so much credit for what it is. Easily one of the better origin stories from a superhero movie we've ever seen. It brought legitimacy back to the Batman character, and superhero movies as a whole. Nolan/Bale showed that superhero movies could take that next step. Everything from Nolan's cinematography, screenplay, and direction, he was just perfect for this. That's not even including Murphy's Scarecrow which cemented it's new dark tone. Damn near flawless.
Certainly the most accurate adaptation of Batman ever done, this is also one of the best. Perhaps not as exciting as some might find the original Tim Burton Batman, but a very well made, well acted film that successfully reboots the Batman series. Worth checking out if your only knowledge of Batman resides with the Burton films (or worse, the Schumacher ones), or if you like comic book movies in general.
Rated 01 May 2007
although Batman is a cliché figure the creators and actors made a great twist to the batmanstory, much better than the rest of the batmanstory's
Rated 09 May 2008
Rewatched this in preparation for The Dark Knight Returns and it's pretty much exactly as I remember it. Everything about this film is amazing, the acting is superb and the story perfectly establishes this a different Batman franchise, well everything except the cinematography and editing during the fight scenes. They're poorly cut and the liberal use of close-ups really drag them down. That is literally my only complaint though and aside from that this film is superb.
Rated 06 Mar 2007
Way better than the recent batman films but I still didn't enjoy it very much. The whole chinese subplot was cheesy, same with Neeson's character. It gets pretty dark and serious at times, yet it still has really corny elements (the batmobile is really stupid). There were a few stupid lines too: "I gotta get me one of them!". Batman Begins was obviously made by a talented director, it just feels kind of immature. This normally shouldn't be a problem in a comic book movie, but it is here.
The first batman movie that feels like a true serious batman movie. Christopher Nolan delivers his usual exceptional directing skills and matching that up with Christian Bale's fantastic acting skills, you get a hell of a movie. The script is well done, the effects are great, the only thing that is truly lackluster is Katie Holmes who is possibly the movies major flaw. Even if you aren't a a batman fan you will still enjoy be able to enjoy the movie for all its worth.
Rated 30 Jun 2007
An excellent re-imagining of the Batman mythos from the ground up, telling a part of the story never explored in movies before. The overly-realistic tone hems in some of the more outrageous elements of the character, but watching him take shape is great. The third act, with the sudden appearance of Mister Exposition in the control booth, is fairly annoying, but it doesn't sink the film's strengths.
While I often enjoy super hero movies such as Spiderman or X-Men, I never found them to be very good movies. But now finally, after so many tries (I include the Tim Burton Batman too) of only getting good entertaining movies, we actually get a very good one. Batman Begins has great action and is very entertaining and above all that it is actually a very good movie, with developed characters, decent dialog and an interesting, dark story. A very enjoyable movie and is very recommended even to peop
Rated 02 Jan 2009
I had all but given up on action hero movies thanks to the mass of cheesy, soppy big budget mush I have been forced to suffer but this is much darker and endlessly more credible. As soon as it finished I couldn't wait for the next installment which I hear isnt bad either......
Rated 04 Mar 2007
The best Batman film after Batman Returns!
Rated 18 Mar 2007
Batman Begins is a surprisingly impressive mix of drama, action, and suspense wrapped up in Gotham City. It's the best superhero movie to date because it doesn't feel like a superhero movie at all.
Most certainly the way Batman was meant to be, Christian Bale for the win.
THE BEST SUPER HERO COMIC BOOK ADAPTATION *EVER*. Loses two points for being a little too long. I loved Superman I and II, loved Spiderman I and II, liked the Hulk a bunch, but this movie is so much better than all of them. Alfred - best ever. Lucius Fox - un-freaking-belivably good! Raz ah Gul - WOW! Now I have to go see it again...
This is the first movie to truly do the Dark Knight justice. It's more than a comic book movie. It's an epic! From beginning to end, Batman Begins pulls you in and doesn't let go thanks to an amazing cast, Hans Zimmer's intense score, Bale's incredible portrayal of Bruce Wayne and Batman, and the brilliant origin story of one of the world's greatest fictional heroes. Awesome!
Rated 08 Nov 2007
After some truly horrible Batman movies, this one sails up and saves the day. Our dark, depressive and slightly mad Batman is back!
Rated 14 Nov 2020
It’s too bad they spent so much time building Gotham up only to totally abandon all of its personality in the two sequels. Bitch I know boring old Chicago when I see it. Sure I can get raped and mugged and murdered there but baby where is the flavour.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
This is what a Batman movie SHOULD be: dark, atmospheric, action-packed, dramatic. Christian Bale was great as Bruce Wayne/Batman because he was surly as hell and he looked like he could cut a Christmas ham with his abdominal muscles. Katie Holmes was utterly worthless. Some parts of the movie made me cry because I'm embarrassingly corny. I can't wait for Nolan's next installment... I'll be the first retard in the theater, drooling all over my crudely-constructed Batman costume.
the best Batman movie to date. good cast, good story line that rectifies most wrong-doings of past attempts. can't wait for the sequel to see if they actually have Joker in it.
Rated 20 Jul 2012
Flawed from the outset because, although Nolan's Gotham is a convincing and compelling place, it's difficult to take a character like Batman seriously (especially when played insanely irritatingly by Mr Bale), one of a fair share of problems including underwhelming baddies, poorly edited fight scenes, tone-disrupting jokes and Katie Holmes. But the batmobile is pretty cool. Also thumbs up to score, visuals and pacing. A polished rock, at best, then, rather than the jewel many make it out to be.
Rated 24 Dec 2007
There shouldnt be any Batman movie without Bale anymore, without doubt the best Batman ever, even better than the old TV Series :D
Rated 17 Sep 2008
Really well done movie! There's a plethora of great acting (Bale, Freeman, Cain, Neeson, Oldman), and the script was pretty superb! I took issue with a few of Batman's seemingly careless acts - but it appeared this was something he corrected, and as I saw the tv version, more of Bruce's arc might have been edited out. There were some beautiful lines (script) as well. Good effects and great music! And I always love films where we see the character training and becoming the hero! :D
Near-flawless adaptation of the Dark Knight.
The best version of the Batman comics committed yet to film. Bale is pitch-perfect as Wayne/Batman and Christopher Nolan's direction is wonderful
Rated 17 May 2008
Best Batman movie of it's time. far surpasses all others in feel, writing and direction. Too bad the movie is lacking in formidable super-villains.
Rated 29 Mar 2011
I do realize it is an unpopular opinion, but it is my person favorite of the Nolan Batman films. And if you disagree I have a quote from Mark from The Room, "Keep your comments in your stupid pocket."
Rated 05 Jan 2007
Excellent, excellent film. Very much a breath taker, i named my cat batman after seeing it, was much impressed. ofcourse not the deepest around, it shows a nice version of the batman mythology, and directed with panache and energy. Great!
What other Batman movies?
Rated 27 Mar 2014
How awesome is Rutger Hauer? Exactly as awesome as Katie Holmes is terrible. Its like ever since she convinced herself being with a hot guy who might be a closeted homosexual was a good career choice, I cannot stand her. She never should have been with that Pacey.
Rated 06 Feb 2007
This is how Batman should be. The only thing missing was the detective element, which they will hopefully explore in the sequel. One of the best casts I can think of. Lots of character development, which I love.
Rated 21 Feb 2007
Unbelievably boring. They sort of tried to go for drama and character development to give depth to the superhero thing, but the execution is inept, the writing is laughably lame and there isn't even any action to speak of. The movie just doesn't work on any level whatsoever.
A perfect relaunching of the franchise, and thankfully making everyone forget about the last two installments in the series. Bale makes a great Batman, and the rest of the cast is uniformly good (excepting Katie Holmes who is just decent). Can't wait to see where this new franchise goes, hopefully to a Rachel McAdams' Catwoman.
Rated 20 Nov 2007
Had it been Scarlett Johansson instead of Katie fucking Holmes; this would've been an instant classic. Great movie nonetheless, I love Christian Bale as Batman.
Rated 25 Feb 2007
The most fascinating parts of the movie are the beginning parts, the flashbacks with the kid, Bruce training, etc. Ultimately suffers from not having a real villain because Batman just seems to overpower everyone so easily, especially Carmine Falcone. It's still really really well made, minus some of the fight scenes where you can't tell what the hell is going on. People complain about Katie Holmes but I really can't understand it cause she's so fucking hot that it's ridiculous to complain.
I'm a big fan of the comic and have been horribly disappointed in all other previous Warner Brothers offerings. This is a Batman film I can endorse! While not perfect, it corrects many of the flaws of the forgettable Tim Burton butcherings. Ignoring Katie Holmes' character, the casting is absolutely the best.
Rated 05 Jan 2013
Excellent cast, good acting, great action and an interesting long reaching story all combine to make a fun movie experience. Christian Bale, Katie Holmes, Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman are particularly good. Great music. A great addition to the Batman story. Great props and gadgetry also.
Rated 10 Apr 2007
A well written blockbuster? You don't say! Not only is it well written and well directed, but Bale is just about perfect as the duel role of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Both Gary Oldman and Michael Caine do a great job supporting. The only hitch, and it's a small one is Katy Holmes. She just seemed out of place in this movie. From what I hear she won't be in the Dark Knight sequel so they've already improved on this one.
Rated 27 Mar 2010
Christopher Nolan brought back Batman with style here in this superb opening installment. A genuinely dark production with many pieces of quotable dialogue, memorable moments and marvellous acting all combine to make a spectacular reboot.
Rated 03 Aug 2008
Katie Holmes sucks.
Rated 24 Sep 2009
To go back and watch BB, and look for the elements of it that lay the groundwork for what could easily go down as the best comic book movie ever (The Dark Knight), just gives you that much more appreciation for what Nolan accomplishes with BB.
Rated 10 Jun 2007
How could they have messed this up? Christian Bale is by far the worst Batman so far, and the over acting in this movie took away the dark and dreary atmosphere and almost moved the movie close to being campy, and it wasn't even trying to be.
Rated 08 Jul 2007
Shitty pacing and fight scenes that are too up close made this movie pretty goddamn annoying for me to sit through at the theater.
Absolutely brilliant. The Batman character has never been so entertainingly defined. I don't know how a sequel could work they've created such a marvelous protagonist.
Aces adaptation of the classic character, grounding the Batman story and rationalizing his mission of vengeance. Clunky scriptwork is overshadowed by a somber mood, a gorgeous score, and some first rate performances.
Rated 28 Jul 2012
Masterful opening act scores in all areas where the sequels flounder: presenting a gripping, stripped-down narrative, and psychologically believable context for the Batman legend, with an array of colourful supporting characters whose relationships with Wayne/Batman help further an exploration of the character's psyche. Caine is the stand-out, providing a by turns touching and amusing father figure, and the action scenes are genuinely exciting and well conceived. A masterpiece of the genre.
Takes itself too seriously for it's own good. Good character study as far as the Bruce Wayne side of the film goes, but dull and lifeless when it comes to Batman.
The best Batman. I own them all and love the first one. A lot. But this was better. Christian Bale was the perfect Bruce Wayne.
Okay, I'll admit it. When I saw this, I'd never seen any of the Batman movies before and had little desire to do so. But, much to my surprise, I LOVED this. Loved the idea of Batman creating his own legend with ingenuity rather than superpowers and loved the acting -- with the forgettable exception of Katie Holmes. Sheer delight!
Comic books have always been seen as kid stuff, although if you were to read any of the most popular titles, you'd realize that they cater primarily to adults these days. Hollywood seems to have finally caught up with films like Batman Begins, with a depth of character and knowledge of subject matter that will have adults dragging their kids to the theater to see the next chapter in the saga, instead of the other way around.
Rated 02 Apr 2008
Solid start to a solid Batman. The Caped Crusader is finally the focal point, and it only took five movies. The characters all come together around Bale. The love story is lacking. Ra's Al-Ghul as a little bit less awesome than I would've liked, but he's fine. Scarecrow is definitely creepy. Note: Watch the guy at the end fixing up Wayne's mansion with a shovel.
Rated 12 Dec 2008
(after repeat viewings) I laud the The Dark Knight for its exciting action sequences and amazing (and overlooked (Eckhart, Oldman)) performances, but this film makes my heart pound every time I see it, because of its compelling storyline, superb script, emotional resonance and a couple of scenes that I already consider to be classics (Tumbler chase scene, ending scene...). I feel people should stop debating which film is better, because to me, they're just as good. Just in different aspects.
Rated 22 Mar 2015
[rewatch] I hadn't seen this movie in 10 years, and in that time, it has been overshadowed by imitators -- and its own (far superior) sequel. But the commitment to its theme and willingness to develop its world is commendable, even if the first half of the movie is so promising and the second half has Liam Neeson using fear gas to scare all of Gotham. He could have just shown them The Phantom Menace!
I was astounded by this movie. The film looks great, is well-written, and superbly acted. Christian Bale's Batman is the most real Batman. There's nothing that is without explanation and you really get to know him and how he became The Dark Knight.
Decent as far as blockbusters go, but a waste of Chris Nolan's talents, and Bale's too. Still, everyone needs to pay their mortgages.
Very few of us can appreciate what Director Christopher Nolan was doing when he decided to pass on long cut, wide angled fight scenes; but it adds to the overall mood of the film very well. Even though the ending got a little far fetched, I still believe that this is the best film in the Batman vault.
Rated 10 Feb 2012
A really good start to what would become my favorite Batman movie series. All of the cast is solid (minus Holmes) and the overall tone feels just like a Batman tale should. I like that the story shows just how far Batman will go to serve justice and just how crazy he kind of is. It's also beautifully filmed and directed. Highly recommend if you like Batman, even if it isn't quite how people picture Batman and the world of Gotham. Also, Murphy is legitimately chilling at times.
Rated 24 Jun 2008
I love this film - the actors are all spot on. Bale is perfect as Batman. Can't wait for the Dark Knight!
Oh good lord, I was blown away. Not by the movie, but because I was surprised it turned out so well. If you saw Memento and liked it and you can read a comic book, then this is for you!
:coolfish:
Rated 05 Jul 2008
Good action film. I like the solemn touch. Kate Holmes is so damn mediocre. Can she please get breast cancer?
Rated 31 May 2009
Production values great. Batman lousy, plot not even comic book good. Caine, Freeman wonderful.
Rated 17 Dec 2007
I'm going with an 87 because of all this movie had against it. Sure, they had a ton of money and guaranteed box office success, but they dodged 98% of the cheese inherent in this franchise and still had fun. Wee! Mad props to Bale, who could bring darkness and depth to the roll of Mickey Mouse.
A welcome return to form for Batman.
Rated 17 Dec 2007
Christian Bale is pretty good as the dark knight, certainly an improvement over Val Kilmer and George Clooney. I want that giant tonka truck he drives around in (is it street legal???) Toe knee :-)
Rated 08 Feb 2008
I can't talk rationally about this one. Suffice to say, I think it's genius on every level. I can not imagine someone making a better Batman movie at this time. Nolan gets just about every detail SPOT f'n ON. Batman/Wayne finally has some real and palpable motivation to feed off of. Nolan tells us exactly WHY Wayne is as driven as he is (forever chasing the closure he can never have), which adds so much depth to the story. Minor points off for some VERY cheesy "one liners" and Katie Holmes.
Rated 06 Mar 2007
Very gritty and well-shot thriller entertainment. A hell of a restart for the Batman series, which needed a shot in the arm after the embarassingly bad Batman and Robin.
Rated 18 Aug 2009
Bloody excellent.
Rated 15 Apr 2017
Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins signifies a return to form for the Dark Knight.
Rated 23 Apr 2007
This is the Batman movie we've been waiting for, ever since the Animated Series showed us its amazing cinematic potential. First-rate stuff.
I thought the movie was a good prequel to Tim Burton's Batman, but Katie Holmes needs to learn how to act.
Rated 20 Aug 2015
"Batman Begins" blew me away from start to finish and kept me glued to my seat for its almost two-and-a-half hour running time. It features astounding action sequences expertly directed by Christopher Nolan. Of course, it also contains an amazing cast, led by Bale's flawless performance. And yes, in my opinion it finally gets the central character of Batman correct. This version of Bruce Wayne/Batman isn't some perfect, all knowing and wise crime fighter.
It respected the source material and treated the audience with the maturity to explain how things like this could actually happen in the real world. Your disbelief is perfectly suspended here and that makes a man fighting criminals in a batsuit that much cooler.
Not the best Batman movie but surely not the worst (the worst is with Clooney). I personally like Bale, but it didn't look like this is THE role for him. Cathy is pathetic. Directing mediocre. Keaton is still unbeaten!
Rated 29 Dec 2009
Holy shit, why wasn't this released 100 years ago?
Rated 08 Jul 2007
Christopher Nolan revived the franchise with this film. Bale is a very good Batman, and the non-colorful, darker world of Batman is much better suited to the big screen.
Rated 20 Jul 2009
Not good, but not bad. Nowhere close to as good as TDK
A excellent reboot to the dead Batman franchise thanks to Joel Schumacher. The movie portrays the true essence of Batman. No neon lights, multiple villian roster, butt shots or BATMAN charge cards in this movie. Christian Bale was a perfect fit for the role of Bruce Wayne/ Batman. Simply just solid storytelling & action. Ready for the sequel.
Rated 21 Jul 2007
This one has very interesting start re the origin of the batman character. Unfortunately the director completely lost it at the end of the movie (stupid and boring action scene's). All-in-all ok movie.
Rated 01 Sep 2009
underrated.
Rated 07 Aug 2007
Nearly perfect batman movie, if not for the ridiculous science behind the evil plot.
A slow-paced, methodical look at the psychology of a "superhero" which does service to fans of the Bat and newcomers alike. This installment is not as stylized as the films before it, but manages to keep both feet planted firmly in reality. Christopher Nolan does it again!
Rated 21 Jun 2008
Excellent story, so much better than the other batman movies. This is one of my favorite comic book movies. Good amounts of both drama and action without going over the top. The villains in this film appear to be competent and determined, the host of characters were well developed and played including the back drop city of Gotham played by Chicago.
Rated 22 Jul 2008
A great reboot! See this first, and then see the classic known as The Dark Knight! Great plot and acting!
Rated 31 Jan 2010
Why does Batman sound like he has a frog in his throat? I thought bats ate insects, not amphibians.
visually stunning and technically brilliant....Throw in some fine acting jobs and this is a heck of movie...Definitely the best batman movie ever made without Michael Keaton.
Rated 15 Jul 2012
Tries to be a serious and realistic batman movie without fixing the childish, fascistic worldview.
Rated 09 Jun 2009
Was the cameraman being chased by a bear? That's how chaotic the action scenes are.
Christian Bale as batman alone is enough reason to see this movie. Best Batman ever !
Rated 13 Aug 2008
First, why I prefer Burton over Nolan: Burton gives you the 'Burton feeling'. Nolan's Batman movies could have beeen made by anyone. If it's about nothing else, it's about production design. Nolan's Batman doesn't show me anything worth looking at. Second, there's just no mentionable villain in this movie, which is unforgivable for a Batman movie. Third, the would-be originality in character design and story suffers from too many action scenes, which are not so great.
Rated 20 Sep 2010
I see this all as wonderful set up for what was to come. Holmes is awful. Remarkable in the sense that it sets up what the comic failed to do for 50 years or so; that Batman is every bit as crazy as the villains he chases.
may even be the best of the batman flicks
One of the better batman movies, this effort wipes away the stench left by Joel Schumaker's attempts to ruin the venerable DC icon. Christian Bale is suitably intense.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
I'm not really welcoming all the cartoon-to-film transformations. I didn't like X-men that much, I hated Iron Man and I thought the Spider Man films were pretty mediocre. Because of this I dodged Batman Begins initially, but a friend who knows my taste pretty well recommended it to me. Damn, was this film a pleasant surprise! As opposed to Iron Man, Batman Begins has very well thought-out character development and while it is fiction, it isn't plainly ridiculous. It is darkly interesting!