1988
Comedy, Fantasy
Michael Keaton is the name in laughter from the hereafter as an obnoxious poltergeist conjured up to bedevil an unwanted family of oddballs. (Warner Bros)
Directed by:
Franchise:

1988
Comedy, Fantasy

Rated 26 Feb 2020
I still can’t believe Tim Burton was pulled apart by gorillas on the set of Planet of the Apes, what a fabulous career cut short, glad we never got to see him become a tired boring joke.
Rated 25 Dec 2017
The kind of genuinely oddball film that Burton would become known for even after decades of crappy attempts at tentpole franchises. It's easy to imagine this being a disaster as it's absurd & cartoonishly "dark", without ever giving the impression that the characters' choices don't matter. Unlike most of Burton's later choices, it's also unpredictable, swiftly paced (if anything it moves almost too fast), & genuinely imaginative in its storytelling choices (& not just production design).
A severely underrated performance from Michael Keaton and a movie that bursts with creativity. The cast is phenomenal too.
Rated 17 Oct 2009
I do not understand the low scores I'm seeing across my kumpels. Early favorite of mine and time has possibly made it better, especially compared to Burton's latest output.
Rated 16 Mar 2009
The calypso scene is priceless. A cheesy, funny, surreal farce of life after death with inventive set designs popping continual surprises. Ryder is striking as the misunderstood teen, while O'Hara is hilarious as the yuppie art poseur.
One of the most creative films of the eighties. Great cast and funny script. The chemistry between Baldwin and Davis is supringly good. Catherine O'Hara is always great. And then there is Keaton. Wow is he good here, he out "Jim Carreys" Jim Carrey before he was Jim Carrey (does that make sense? I dunno).
Rated 29 Aug 2011
If you watch this and then watch Batman you will start to feel bad for Michael Keaton because you realize that Tim Burton replaced him with Johnny Depp. Sad.
Rated 28 Jan 2010
Someone told me its amazing. Didn't influence what I thought of the movie, just the person.
Rated 19 May 2009
One thing I noticed right away about Beetlejuice (1988) is that the death scene that begins the movie is done much better than any Hollywood horror movie has done recently. It's not bloody or brutal - instead it's just a happily married couple in the prime of their lives suddenly dying in a car accident. It's something that could honestly happen to anybody, and I find that pretty creepy. Good movie. I recommend.
Rated 03 May 2017
Quite a fun little spooky comedy, with bags of charm and some likeable performances. Burton's style really works here, as does Elfman's score, and Keaton clearly has a blast as the titular weirdo. It seems to have aged pretty well, too. Mind, if this ever gets remade, it should be chock full of nudity, violence and screaming.
Rated 20 Jul 2007
I had a HUGE crush on Winona Ryder in this film. In fact, I think I even had a thing for Beetlejuice... I was a weird kid. But that's not the point. I love the spooky, dirty aesthetic of the film, and if this is considered to be a children's movie, then that's completely fucked. Fucked and AWESOME.
Rated 03 Mar 2007
A great classic of horror comedy, I have come back to Beetlejuice many times and it is always splendid. The set pieces, the flawless cast, the stunning visual style, Danny Elfman's ingenious score and two timeless Harry Belafonte songs.. all of it is really, really good.
Rated 26 Dec 2011
Tiresome and witless special effects extravaganza that tries awfully hard to convince the viewer how imaginative and hilarious it is, apparently with success, judging from the general opinion of the film. It was many years before I finally saw this (in 2011), but having done so it seems like nothing more than an early confirmation of my view of Burton as a director with very little to convey beyond his purportedly "dark", "cool", "twisted" vision. Even the lovely Geena Davis doesn't help.
Rated 24 Jan 2012
It was more fun when I was young but this is an interesting bit of film. Great cast and the legacy of Tim Burton begins. I have to assume that every emo kid everywhere owes just about everything to Winona Ryder in this role.
Rated 27 Aug 2008
One of the weirdest comedies ever, and weirdly timeless, too. Great and strange melange of ideas and a style all its own. This one's an odd classic.
Rated 18 Jul 2014
My general feelings about the way people have rated this movie can be simply conveyed with the prefix 'over-'.
Rated 24 Jul 2009
Awesome makeup and interesting practical effects that only adds to the dirtiness of the tone. The problem with the film is it tries to have a plot when it should just be vignettes. Personally, Keaton didn't impress me: he was imitating Jerry the Homeless Man down the street from my apt. The real star of this show was Danny Elfman's music, which really doesn't get any better than this.
Rated 02 Aug 2021
Even after all those years it is still funny, has great plot and good acting. Music is also pretty fun. Classic for sure.
Rated 17 Jun 2009
An excellent movie, made far before Tim Burton made it his personal mission in life to destroy other peoples classic movies.
Rated 26 May 2019
Burton's first 'blockbuster' hit is largely a scattered, wearying mess, with too many story threads and overtly quirky characters mugging for attention. Davis and Baldwin fare best and deliver genuinely good performances by serving as everyman ballasts, but Keaton's 'Beetlegeuse' (an original and disarming creation) is given little to do, often left literally muttering at the corner of the screen, and Ryder & Co. have so many ostentatious ticks that they probably deserve their own solo movie!
Rated 26 Mar 2007
Winona Ryder is fucking hot. I can say that because she's older than I am. Classic film.
Rated 18 Jan 2009
Probably Tim Burton's most overlooked film in his catalog other than Ed Wood, and the precursor to Michael Keaton becoming Batman, Beetlejuice is a fun movie about a wily ghost who can't be controlled and what happens to those who try and beat him at his own game. This was also the start of TIm Burton's descent into fantastic gothic cinema. And Winona Ryder makes a really hot goth chick, even if she's just pretending to be one in the movie.
Rated 16 Jun 2013
My whole life is a darkroom. One big dark room.
Rated 06 Aug 2010
Rewatched October 2016. A grab-bag of ideas that gel really well. Keaton's only real stab at playing this type of character still is amusing, while many similar roles by the likes of Jim Carrey and Robin Williams now are grating and tired.
Rated 21 Sep 2010
Good score, good sight gags, good performances. One of Burton's better.
Rated 20 Feb 2010
So far it's the only depiction of the after-life that I can actually kind of get behind.
Rated 12 Nov 2011
I would have liked a bit more of an explanation for the spell what’s-his-name was reading in the last act. Also would have loved more Beetlejuice. I still love it. Keaton is excellent, Ryder is a mood, and the Maitlands are also very likable and well acted. The camp, score, production, world-building and direction all just seam together perfectly even when they perhaps shouldn’t. One of the better Tim Burton movies. Make my millennium!
It stands the test of time. Michael Keaton is great as the obnoxious undead human extreminator. Plenty of memorable scens. While it's not in my top list of films, it's still a good past time.
Rated 15 Aug 2007
I can't explain why I enjoyed this movie. Maybe it's just because I want to be Winona Ryder.
Rated 04 May 2010
The worst of Tim Burton....at least that I've seen.
Rated 31 Mar 2015
Truly the bomb. Definitely one of the weirder movies you will ever watch, yet not to fault. Beetlejuice sports a heartfelt story and cool direction by Tim Burton, and still yet amazing performances, by all, yet namely Keaton. One of the finer films of the 80's and one of the finer Burton films.
Rated 15 Jul 2007
Pretty good, a little overrated though.
Rated 17 Feb 2010
Wonderful gothic fantasy from Burton in his prime.
Rated 02 Nov 2018
A lot more bizarre than I was expecting, and a lot less Michael Keaton than I was expecting. The story was fun, and some of the gags worked well, but many more of the gags fell completely flat. It is interesting, but not worth of its status as a semi-classic.
Rated 15 Dec 2008
Tim Burton before he burnt out. Alec Baldwin before he was Alec Baldwin. Zaniness ensues.
Rated 08 Jan 2009
Cheesy in all aspects of the word.
Beetlejuice is one of Tim Burton's more Burtonesque films, and he was clearly shaping it to how he wishes to see the world. It's funny and clever, and Michael Keaton does a good job as the over the top and greedy ghost with the most. Really good!
Rated 21 May 2012
This movie doesn't hold up as well as I thought it would, but the likable performances by Ryder, Baldwin and Davis, along with the stunning effects work, hold it together. Beetlejuice (the character) is by FAR the most annoying and grating part of the film. The ending just falls apart.
Rated 05 Nov 2008
Excessively weird.
Rated 27 Jun 2012
Even though it's not quite as great as some of us might like to think it was during our childhood, it has some seriously fantastic moments (Calypso & waiting room scenes) and equally fantastic makeup and costumes. Nothing here is quite as funny as Burton's plans for a sequel though. Go Wiki it and try not to laugh.
Rated 25 Sep 2008
One of those films that proves that keaton can be underrated at times, this is really his vehicle. Burton wisely allows him to go nuts and the whole gothic aftelife thang works really well. There are some great supporting roles, particularly ortho and the social worker... "Gee Coach, I don't we made it through that crash..." GOLD!
Rated 30 Mar 2007
Typically strange and funny TIm Burton movie. And WInona Ryder is such a babe
Rated 04 Apr 2015
Updating my score with a review. Same score, new review. The creativity in this film blows me away and gets better with repeat viewings. The esthetic is what people have come to expect from Tim Burton, a fine middle between Hot Topic and 60's horror. The scene in the waiting room always cracks me up -- shrunken head man is my favourite shit!
A crappy movie of impressive mediocrity.
Rated 12 Jun 2012
One of the best comedies ever filmed. Beetlejuice is an amazing character, though not on screen for anything length of time but still leaves an impression. The casting for this movie is perfect, but the person that steals the show is Catherine O'Hara as the neurotic, sculptor wife. It is an amazing performance that deserves recognition.
Rated 01 Nov 2016
I'm a sucker for any movie with as killer a cast and set design as this. Michael Keaton, of course, nails it, but literally every member of the cast brings their A-game. And who couldn't fall in love with Winona?
Rated 14 Oct 2016
Like many of Burton's early films, Beetlejuice is a collection of impressive set pieces tied together by a rickety plot. But it is also a wildly creative horror-comedy hybrid that marked the arrival of a truly unique authorial voice. Blending live action with a defiantly retro use of stop motion animation, Beetlejuice is visually dazzling, boasting great production design, a memorable Elfman score, solid performances, and a career defining turn by Keaton as the ghost with the most.
Rated 06 May 2018
One hilarious scene does not save a movie. There are really great moments here and the story is something cool, but the movie is inconsistent and over the top unnecessarily. It leaves a little to be desired.
Rated 23 Oct 2019
I appreciate movies that embrace their own silliness, goofiness and cheesiness.
Rated 06 Nov 2019
Beetlejuice: "Because if I tell you, you'll tell your friends, your friends are callin' me on the horn all the time, I gotta show up at shopping centers for openings and sign autographs and shit like that and it makes my life a hell. Okay? A living hell."
Rated 21 Oct 2020
One of the most original movies of all time.
Rated 13 Mar 2020
☆ I actually really dig this movie. How adorable is little Winona Ryder? Super cool visuals, love the practical effects, and the general vibe of the whole thing is really compelling and easy to watch. Love it. ☆
Rated 26 Jul 2020
You know what they say about people who commit suicide? In the afterlife, they become civil servants.
Rated 29 Mar 2021
I love this movie!
Rated 10 Apr 2021
marginally better than Beetleborgs, i'll give it that
Rated 30 Jun 2021
The perfect movie. A comedy that has everything you need in a Tim Burton. Super great cast, will always be an iconic and quirky film.
Rated 25 Aug 2021
A classic for sure, but just not that big of a Tim Burton fan.
Rated 28 Nov 2021
Another for the category of classic must watch
Rated 28 Oct 2022
There are some clever colorful / gothic visuals and creative special effects stuff, but overall the movie was just… a little much for me. No big shock as most Burton movies are. Picturing Danny Elfman flapping his arms like a spastic cartoon conducting this score, making sure the trumpets “bum-BUM bum-BUM bum-BUM bum-BUM” in repeat at the proper 180 BPM tempo. Haunted house movies have never been my genre, as true for horror comedy as it is for straight horror.
Rated 08 May 2008
Only is cool the acting of Michael Keaton. The rest, I am not impressed much.
Rated 23 Aug 2008
Classic Burton is Classic.
Rated 07 Dec 2009
this movie rules if only for 80s pop culture references
Rated 19 Aug 2011
I love the scenes of the grim afterlife world, it's high octane imagination and if I have to have the rest of Beetlejuice for the waiting room of the dead to exist, then so be it. The rest of the movie I could take or leave.
Rated 14 May 2015
This movie was good good good
Rated 24 Jul 2017
I had forgotten what a good Tim Burton film looks and feels like. There is no sense of the self-indulgent and forced parodies that his latest films have become - on the contrary: the film feels fresh and easy, light-hearted and energetic. It has wonderfully inspired stop-motion animation and special effects, costumes, german-expressionism-esque sets and a superb cast. Wynona Ryder is cute and gives a hint of her persona in Stranger Things to come. Keaton is the bomb. Also skinny Alec Baldwin.
Rated 17 May 2008
burton's crowning achievement, i dont know any sane person who hasnt seen this movie. easily the best weird fantasy movie ever made.
Rated 25 Jul 2008
Saw only a little but of this but it was weird in an alright way!
Briliant comedy.
Rated 10 Feb 2013
This just wasn't me, I've never really clicked with Tim Burton and so it goes without saying that set piece after set piece in his deliberately weird style isn't going to fly.
Rated 17 Feb 2020
Terrible film. I liked the cartoons a lot better.
Rated 23 Jun 2009
Easily one of Burton's best films. The story of a happy couple who die tragically and turn to a crazed ghost to help rid them of the new people who own there house! Lots of fun. Keaton is phenomenal as Beetlejuice. Ryder, Davis, and Baldwin are also great. I also think this is one of Catherine O'Hara's best roles. The visuals are colorful and exciting. Definitely a must see.
Rated 18 Aug 2009
Quite good, a nice silly sunday film.
Rated 16 Feb 2007
Os fantasmas se divertem tinha sua première há 35 anos em New York. Acho que considerar esses primeiros filmes do Tim Burton como excelentes não necessariamente passa pela nostalgia, ele pegou um roteiro originalmente pífio e transformou em algo divertidíssimo, é como se tudo estivesse no lugar certo, na hora certa, do elenco, passando pelos efeitos e indo na direção de arte. Se não fosse por Ed Wood, este seria sua obra-prima. Plus: A cena do jantar é uma das melhores dos anos 80. RARBG.
Rated 27 Nov 2006
an extra twenty points for Michael Keaton who dazzles and delights in this fruity horror film...
Rated 22 Mar 2008
The beginning of my love affair with Tim Burton. Pee Wee was just foreplay.
Rated 05 Oct 2017
It's no doubt a cliché Tim Burton film. It's one of his more campy films and it fits well within the 1980s in that aspect. Michael Keaton's performance as the titular character is absolutely ridiculous and I couldn't ask for more. While its cheesy at times, the film is perfect for something to watch when you just want to sit back and laugh. Nothing to think about, but nothing to miss out on either.
Rated 21 Jun 2008
A masterpiece from the visionary Tim Burton. I've loved this movie since I saw it on opening day in 1988 -- it coincided with my birthday, and what a great present it was!
Rated 18 Jun 2007
Quirky is as quirky does. A funky carnival atmosphere and creative sets as weird as the plot.
Rated 22 Jul 2010
A strange movie that is full of energy and mystic and aesthetic wonder. There are severe plot issues in this film. But then again, which Burton film doesn't? What it does have is a stunning visual atmosphere - Burton's specialty.
Nice fuckin model! Seriously, it's the best thing Tim Burton ever did. Creepy and gross and funny in equal doses.
Rated 26 Apr 2009
Great special effects, make-up and costumes along with a hilarious performance from Michael Keaton, one of Tim Burton's best films.
Rated 01 Jun 2008
Ridiculous, hilarious, and amusing portrayal of a haunting gone wrong by a recently dead couple.
Rated 10 Jun 2009
Silly ghost story.
Rated 30 Jun 2007
Relentlessly entertaining. Burton's second film really unleashes the Burton aesthetic, and Keaton's unhinged performance anchors the whole thing. It revels in finding new ways to go over the top.
This movie has me laughing all the time, plus my dad loved it and i watched it alot when i was young
Rated 03 Jan 2011
a classic
Rated 12 Mar 2011
NICE FUCKIN' MOVIE!
Rated 13 Aug 2015
dancing scene is pure joy
Rated 08 Oct 2014
Tim Burton before he became TIM BURTON. So, good.
Rated 04 Jun 2017
You will love it.
Rated 28 May 2008
Silly fun that still gets a laugh.
Finally got around to seeing this one. Great for the time of year but it sure is dated. Keaton holds his own extremely well, I just wish there had been more of him (seeing as he is the titular character and all...). Would love to see a remake (I know) of this one done in a campy faux-horror-comedy (similar to Cabin in the Woods). Could be extremely well done.
Fun.
Rated 22 Mar 2011
Michael Keaton delivers an all time great performance in this fantasy comedy about a rural ghost couple (Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis) trying to free their home from the contemporary city art of its recent occupants. Through their exploits they develop a relationship with the new reisdents' lonely daughter and an antagonistic back and forth with its title character.
Rated 09 Sep 2011
NICE FUCKIN' MODEL!
Rated 25 Oct 2011
michael keaton at his best.
Rated 03 Nov 2011
All I can say is BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE!
Rated 19 Jul 2009
Gotta love the part where they all start dancing to day-o, plus I always wanted to be Winona Ryder in this movie.
Rated 16 Jan 2007
for me this is the best tim burton movie great imagination beetlejuice s excellent u can enver forget once u saw it
Rated 26 Apr 2009