Amazon VideoPlexPlex Player

1951
Comedy, Drama
Film director Blasetti is looking for a little girl for his new movie. Along with other mothers, Maddelena takes her daugther to Cinecittà, hoping she'll be selected and become a star. She is ready to sacrifice anything for little Maria, even if her husband would prefer they save their little money for the rent, instead of paying teachers, hairdressers or bribes for her illusions. (imdb)
Amazon VideoPlexPlex Player

I’m taken aback by the complexity in characterization and emotion here. Beautiful storytelling and performance.
the loudest movie i've ever wathced.
It's a distinct experience when I watch an absolute masterpiece and that's how I know it; I find myself crying and laughing at the same time. Bellissima, despite the unassuming, intimate nature of its story, is at once a heartbreaking tragedy and a gutbusting comedy, and it achieves this through nothing but masterful realism. Magnani gives one of the finest performances I have ever seen as a terrible woman whom it is impossible not to relate to and love.
Magnani is superb (no living actress could play her role today) and the film is filled with wonderful details and situations. More subtle than its constant high-volume dialogue might lead you to believe.
É um bom filme, mas ainda prefiro a era mais aristocrática do Visconti.

Submitted bytheyshootpicTheyshootpic on 09 May 2007