Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
A freewheeling Detroit cop pursuing a murder investigation finds himself dealing with the very different culture of Beverly Hills.
Cast and Information
Directed By: Martin Brest
Franchise: Beverly Hills Cop
Where to Stream
Beverly Hills Cop belongs to 48 collections
1. 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (collaborative: moderated by kozan26 - 232 stars)
2. boobs (collaborative: moderated by Pickpocket - 51 stars)
3. Psychotronic Film and Video Guides (collaborative: moderated by Gregzilla - 40 stars)
4. New York Times' The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made (collaborative: moderated by theficionado - 31 stars)
5. The Guardian's 1000 films to see before you die (collaborative: moderated by PeaceAnarchy - 30 stars)
6. Academy Award - Oscar - ALL Best Picture, Directing, Acting & Screenplay Nominees (collaborative - 22 stars)
7. Feel Good Movies (collaborative: moderated by Midaso - 17 stars)
8. Films available in HD (collaborative: moderated by kubricksucks - 13 stars)
9. #1 at the US Box Office (collaborative: moderated by BeeDub - 10 stars)
10. Los Angeles (collaborative: moderated by Zarkon - 8 stars)
11. AFI 100 Years... 100 Laughs (collaborative: moderated by iceblox - 8 stars)
12. Synth soundtrack or score (collaborative: moderated by Ag0stoMesmer - 8 stars)
13. List: Taschen (collaborative: moderated by KasperL - 6 stars)
14. U.S. Box office over 150 million (collaborative: moderated by PeaceAnarchy - 5 stars)
15. Top 3000 movies with the most votes on IMDb (public: fanfic - 5 stars)
16. Trilogy (collaborative: moderated by frederic_g54 - 3 stars)
17. All-Time Worldwide Box Office over $200,000,000 (collaborative: moderated by QuickyAPI - 3 stars)
18. African-American protagonist (collaborative: moderated by Moribunny - 3 stars)
19. Cop (collaborative: moderated by djross - 2 stars)
20. Referenced by The Simpsons (collaborative: moderated by ReCreation07 - 2 stars)
21. Best Original screenplay (collaborative: moderated by Roman_Herbom - 2 stars)
22. Has a sequel (collaborative: moderated by andr - 2 stars)
23. Availability: Amazon Prime Canada (collaborative: moderated by geohawk - 2 stars)
24. mwgerb's Netflix Instant Queue (public: mwgerb - 2 stars)
25. Top 2000 movies with the most votes on IMDb (public: fanfic - 2 stars)
26. Hollywood Hits, 1920 to present (collaborative: moderated by lisa- - 1 star)
27. 4k Ultra HD discs owned (collaborative: moderated by dumbjaw - 1 star)
28. Annual top 5 worldwide box office, 1975 - 2022 (public: djross - 1 star)
29. 2018: Complete Watchlist (public: SageSledge - 1 star)
30. Los Angeles Movies (public: stalebread - 1 star)
31. Beverly Hills Cop (collaborative: moderated by td888)
32. Films produced by Jerry Bruckheimer (collaborative: moderated by nauru)
33. Police Comedy (collaborative: moderated by td888)
34. Ratings (collaborative: moderated by cheapthrills)
35. Orson Scott Card's Perfect Movie List (collaborative: moderated by BeeDub)
36. Available on Divicast (collaborative: moderated by Dunstan-xxx)
37. zae's DVDs & Blurays (public: zae)
38. Owned (DVD) (public: bizarre_eye)
39. Owned (public: ribcage)
40. rewatch (public: ehk2)
41. Comedies to Watch (public: TsC Xanatos)
42. Tom's Movies (public: tomwalsh)
43. DVD Collection (public: SageSledge)
44. My Movie Collection (public: elhenzo)
45. Black Men Can't Jump in Hollywood Podcast (public: TychoCelchuu)
46. My ratings (public: tpbradbury)
47. Blu-ray Collection (public: TripEuphoric)
48. Hardboiled, Not Noir (public: Russ Bedford)
Browse the full list of collections
Believe it - once upon a time, the man we know as Dr. Dolittle, The Nutty Professor, Pluto Nash, and Norbit was the HEIGHT OF COOL. Bruckheimer, Brest, and Murphy absolutely knew what they were doing here: it's incredibly easy to watch, the action and comedy go down smooth as a milkshake, the interplay between the characters (especially Murphy and Reinhold) has become cop movie standard ever since, and you've gotta love that score. 80s-tastic.
This Eddie Murphy should hurt today's Eddie Murphy :(
As decent an Eddie Murphy movie as you'll find.
I don't remember anything very specific about this movie, but I do remember thinking it was quite entertaining. The "wacky, street-wise cop" premise has become an awful cliché at this point, but this, I suppose, was one of the first of its kind.
Despite the utter garbage he's been in lately Eddie Murphy used to be in some really good and entertaining movies. This is most certainly one of them. It's not a superb mastery of anything really but this movie is just downright entertaining as Eddie Murphy plays a colourful (not racist), charming but crazy renegade cop in a town of complete by-the-numbers cops.
Hilarious and rather underrated from the scores I see here on Criticker. What do people want from this film? It's just about the funniest and best achievement of Eddie Murphy (that I've seen, anyway), and anyone who doesn't enjoy this just.. Takes things too seriously. Good film.
It's OK. The plot almost makes sense, and Murphy is very enjoyable. There's no reason the local cops wouldn't have known what was going on, though.
Funny enough with some good (and surprisingly violent) action.
From the era when Eddie Murphy was at his madcap best, and playing one of his best parts, this is an extermely enjoyable and entertaining film. The humour is excellent and the film is very well paced, meaning that there is never really a dull moment. Beverly Hills Cop is full of charm, but demands not to be taken seriously to be fully enjoyed, even if it just about stays on the side of slightly plausible. It's strange seeing Murphy in an action scene, but it works surprisingly well. Very good.
This script went through every writer in Hollywood, and it's a perfect example of corporate moviemaking. However, this was made back in the days when Eddie was still funny, so he more or less singlehandedly puts it over. It helps enormously that he is smart enough to be generous with his supporting cast
Eddie Murphy, acting as a cop outside of his jurisdiction. I can only imagine the villain's lawyer. "Sure, you can beat this. Eddie Murphy busted you."
this is the best film
Eddie Murphy is wonderful, and the plot is pretty good too.
Eddie murphy classic
As an eighties action comedy it's pretty solid. But as an unintentional prequel for Blue Streak it's really not very cohesive.
|Average Percentile 52.16% from 6222 Ratings|