Bird Box
Bird-Box

Bird Box

2018
Drama, Sci-fi
A woman and a pair of children are blindfolded and make their way through a dystopian setting along a river.
Franchise: Bird Box
NetflixNetflix basic with Ads

It's here! It's finally here! It's the 'The Happening' sequel no one ever wanted. In fact, you can't even really remember 'The Happening', can you? You're sitting there going "The.. happe... oh God..."
Netflix films for the most part exist in this weird un-reality where they feel like half-developed money-laundering projects borne from 30 Rock jokes or something. Besides the off-putting DTV cheapness that imbues its production design, this one's biggest flaw is that the narrative structure is all wrong for this story: we already know everybody other than Bullock and the two kids are dead by the "present," so why are we wasting time? Setting the entire film on the river would've been better.
The first 15 minutes weren't all that bad. The rest of the film took me four sittings to get through without falling asleep.
Despite some flaws, and perhaps a few clichés getting aired, I felt quite well-disposed towards this. It was certainly tense, and I was engaged with the protagonists' struggle; despite the fine Bullock's character not being particularly sympathetic, I was still rooting for her. There are obvious comparisons with The Happening, but this carries its premise off much more effectively. The direction is sound if unspectacular. I have a feeling this might not stay with me, but it's worth a look.
Nothing that shines here apart from a Bullock at times. Not much remains with you after the film ends. It is so filled with clichés. It is OK for a quite night but don't expect much.

Submitted bydonmezsefadonmezsefa on 14 Nov 2018