1998
Suspense/Thriller, Fantasy
In a world where vampires walk the earth, Blade (Snipes) has a goal. His goal is to rid the world of all vampire evil. When Blade witnesses a vampire bite Dr. Karen Jenson (Wright), he fights away the beast and take Jenson back to his hideout. Here, alongside Abraham Whistler (Kristofferson), Blade attempts to help heal Jenson. The vampire Quinn (Logue) who was attacked by Blade, reports back to his master Deacon Frost (Dorff), who is planning a huge surprise for the human population. (imdb)
Directed by:
Franchise:

1998
Suspense/Thriller, Fantasy

Rated 30 Jul 2019
I think of Vampire /Dracula in terms of a horror genre This one takes after the comic ( Which I was unaware of until this movie) so it decidedly takes on a more action film feel All in all I'd say pretty good movie
Rated 11 Aug 2015
Blade flashbacks to moments before he was born. Vampire rave scene. The police are insane in this movie, "AH! A BLACK MAN! *BANG BANG BANG* ... oh he's a vampire"
Rated 29 Jul 2020
Daft, noisy, bloody fun.
Rated 28 Jun 2021
It's easy to forget the late 90's/early aughts pre-MCU films--when Marvel comics could be made into competent genre pictures. This is a good horror action film with performances from Wright and Kristofferson elevating it slightly. It loses a couple of points as Snipes puts too much of himself in the picture via Kung Fu, a quasi love scene, and some Black Dynamite style pun acting. And the world-building exposition needs improvement. Still, it has a fun villain, which is what makes these movies.
Rated 13 May 2007
First of all: Having Udo Kier in a movie means in every case at least 50 points. Additionally to Udo you get some pretty nice action, creepy jokes, vampires AND one of the coolest swords out of the 90s.
Rated 07 Feb 2012
It's around the time that the cops open fire in a hospital that this story about a half-breed vampire that hunts vampires might not be entirely realistic.
Rated 23 Feb 2012
Snipes needs to make a movie about PAYING HIS FUCKING TAXES.
Rated 13 Jun 2014
I don't think this movie gets enough credit. It was not perfect by any means but it was a cool and awesome action thriller. Sometimes we all need a little pure action and this delivered. Acting isn't amazing but it fits what the movie needs, while the tone is constant and agreeable. My only probems were a few plot holes, dialogue, and a few stale actors. Not terrible at all but not a mind-bending movie either.
Rated 11 Jan 2007
Yes, it's vampires and yes, it's fairly cheesy blaxploitation. But it's a lot of fun, and manages to combine the two genres very effectively. And the action is fantastic, minus some iffy late-90s CGI. "Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill."
Rated 28 Oct 2016
It's a curious thing rewatching this almost 20 years on (...), since this is arguably the birth of the modern comic book film. It has its moments - the Blood Bath builds to a fever, and Wesley really is good, if you accept his scene-chewing through pointy canines - but Goyer's script sucks. The lack of menace in the climax proves how half-hearted they were to embrace the supernatural - it's all or nothing, but they chose both.
Brain off. Action on. Then you'll enjoy it.
My friends and I didn't know what to expect when we went to see this. First, we were surpised by the foam blade thing we were given. Next, we were floored by the awesome opening vampire rave fight scene (he stabs that one dude through the head into the ceiling). Then we were confused by people clapping and cheering when he caught his shades. Finally, we realized this movie kicked ass (and that's a good thing because it sparked the modern comicbook to movie trend).
Someone did something right, this is one of the few good vampire movies out there. Stephen Dorff really shines, and the Blade character is memorable. This movie is what Interview would have been if the talky and violent bits had been inverted. If you thought Lestat did too much talking and not enough stabbing, Blade will suit you better. He doesn't ever say anything interesting, but boy does he make with the chopping and stabbing.
Kills the time without annoying you too much. This is a good role for Snipes.
Rated 10 May 2008
I think that in the arena of "movies to watch late at night after I get home from the bar, but don't want to go to bed yet" this is a runaway winner.
Rated 25 Jun 2008
Nice
Rated 15 Jan 2009
Highly enjoyable for this kind of comic adaptation.
Rated 09 Feb 2009
any of his Blade movies gets a 100
Rated 17 Oct 2009
Vampires. check. Vampire slaying. check. Bad guy trying to take over the world. check. Inevitable conflict and high action scenes. check. Substance & originality. Oh.
Rated 09 Jun 2010
More and more, this is becoming my favorite comic book movie.
Rated 27 Aug 2010
I love this movie. It has a lot of great action scenes. If you love movies about vampires then this is the movie for you. Blade shows why he is hands-down the best in the vampire hunting business. This is not a movie that you want to pass up.
Rated 25 Nov 2010
Aw yeah, a fuckin vampire kickin ass
Rated 11 Oct 2011
Blade is a fun action movie that has vampires replacing your average villain. Not much is done with the vampires, except that it allows you to defy gravity and human limitations a bunch of times. That's a good decision in my eyes. It has an interesting protagonist, a bunch of exciting action scenes, and a generic story that serves just to give an excuse for these set-pieces and sword fights. It's good enough entertainment, and an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours.
Rated 12 Nov 2011
Mildly entertaining. Poor acting from Snipes (well that was expected) and a plot a drunk man on a bench could have written. Gotta admire the badassness of both Snipes and Dorff though...
Rated 22 Nov 2012
At least ten of those points are for the line "some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill".
Rated 07 Jan 2014
The plot is really silly in this movie. There are a lot of fun scenes and some campy moments. The script has many weak moments but there are some exciting action scenes.
Rated 30 Jan 2014
Roger Ebert deemed this to be worth three stars out of a possible total of four.
Rated 26 Nov 2014
some motherfuckers really are always trying to ice skate uphill. truer words have never been spoken, daywalker
Rated 25 Oct 2015
To say this movie sucks is meaningless. Of course Blade sucks. But you know, it's kind of hilarious. Also, the black power vibes benefit it in more ways than I expected, although I'm sure it's easy to read too much into that angle. Is this really blaxploitation? I'm not sure. I wish it would have gone full on SHAFT, just to make itself clear. Cool opening. VAMPIRE RAVE.
Rated 22 Sep 2018
Despite some bizarre writing, direction, and the horribly dated CGI, Blade manages to be a lot of fun. It takes the subject matter only as serious as it needs to. It sets the tone early by having an extremely memorable opening scene and a decent, if not somewhat underdone, conclusion.
Rated 25 Aug 2019
Frost is hot and the action is pretty cool, but there's not much more to it.
Rated 07 May 2020
For the first film of its kind, this gets a lot of it right. Most of which will be perfected in II, and forgotten in III.
Rated 10 Oct 2021
The truth of the matter is the Blade movies aren’t really comparable to today’s superhero movies. However, this is still so good to this day. A lot of the cheesiness, dialogue, and especially affects are such a product of it’s time, that it’s endearing. Really, Wesley Snipes was pretty much the perfect choice for Blade during it’s time, and really brought a certain B-level grade flare. On top of this, the choreography still holds up really well today. Such a hidden gem for it’s time.
Rated 29 Oct 2022
Un des meilleurs Marvel : Pas d'humour à la con, sombre à souhait, un univers avec des vampires solide, un héros charismatique, deux excellents personnages de soutien (Karen et Whistler), et un méchant hyper sexy joué Stephen Dorff, qu'est-ce qu'il est magnifique avec son torse poilu ! Reste une histoire de prophétie à la con, un concept usé jusqu'à la moelle...
Rated 24 Jun 2023
Campy but fun with absolutely rad effects mixed with some very badly aged CG. This holds up well, it's funny and Kris Kristofferson plays it so damn straight he almost brings it back to earth. The end of an era for a particular kind of 90s action movie before the epochal 'The Matrix.' The fight sequences mixed with 90s electronica actually feel like a proto-Matrix in some ways. Snipes hams it up hard but it's just what the doctor ordered.
Rated 23 Nov 2006
You can sort of see how the film crew was new to a bigger movie like this, it has a lot of camp-like moments and obvious CGI you can't help but smile at. Although the quality of the technical work is quite changing troughout the movie it's still entertaining enough not to fail the target audience whoever that may be. Wesley Snipes makes a good Blade.
Rated 06 Dec 2006
GREAT movie. Badass anti-hero.
Love the fights.
Rated 13 Dec 2006
Not a big fan of the vampires/werewolf bullshit.. but i did enjoy the rave scene and music to this movie.
Rated 10 Jan 2007
Very bloody, some visiual effects are exaggerated but as starting the 2000's superhero movie adaptations Blade never forgettable...
Rated 01 Mar 2007
A surprisingly interesting and exciting action film about a hero-esque vampire.
Rated 01 Mar 2007
Good film.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
Blade is as cool as action movies get. It's a little cheesy at times but man, it's awesome.
Rated 26 Mar 2007
Blade is awesome. I just don't like Wesley Snipes. Pretty mediocre film, to say the least. It just seemed like Snipes fan fiction.
Rated 29 Mar 2007
Silly movie in which Wesley Snipes shows off his martial arts moves. One good line
Rated 09 Apr 2007
This movie didn't realy age well, but was kickass when if first came out!
Rated 20 Apr 2007
An OK film, pretty forgettable in the end but it did have potential to be so good. The action scenes are great, just a shame the film did have any more.
Rated 01 May 2007
Wesley Snipes is penultimate cool.
Rated 26 May 2007
Who let this man write his own lines?
Rated 04 Jun 2007
the only good one of the 3
Rated 09 Jun 2007
Visually cool vampire flick that easily outclasses others in its genre, like Underworld
Rated 09 Jun 2007
The "best" scene is the "best" because it gets a shitty techno song stuck in your head.
Rated 25 Jun 2007
Very good, gotta love the blood!
Rated 08 Jul 2007
I've overrated this film, but I'm a fan of the vampire/zombie/monster genre. I've never seen an action star so get into his character as much as Snipes does. I love this film.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
Silly and over the top, but fun.
The best of the series is definitely this first one. It's fun, but silly.
One of the greats as comic adaptation, and ass-kicker, this movie is miles above any of its sequels. Great preformances by all, and as said- "Brain off. Action on. Enjoy!"
Eh...I just can't get into this whole Blade thing.
Entertaining.
Quality action flick with bad CG.
Good, dark, but humorous comic-book adaptation. Very stylish.
I almost fell asleep.
Norrington stumbled onto a formula in this movie that just seemed to work for me. The music, casting, special effects, and cinematography all worked beautifully together with the only distraction being N'Bushe Wright. She didn't quite rise to the occasion in this film but performs well enough to avoid dragging the entire production down.
What this picture needs is better effects, what it boasts is lots of bone breaking fighting, some cool stunts, & informational plot scenes which rarely bog down. Largely a cute boys fighting picture, the women are mostly decorative.
Hell ya. Vampire movies are awesome, and Blade fits right in there. Dissapointed with the sequels, but the original remains solid.
This movie still rocks and holds up incredibly well decades later.
It's a great comic book based movie with Wesley Snipes as one of comicdom's coolest anti-heroes. Snipes, a terrific martial artist and did justice to the character by making him every bit as awesome on film as he could be in any other form. The "vampires are among us" attitude is interesting and fresh in this first part of the trilogy, and it makes the movie a lot of fun. Really good!
The best of the series. Dorff plays a very likeable villan.
The first 5 minutes is mostly brilliant. All goes to shit from there.
Just OK action.
Great action flick! Snipes really played the character well.
Very good vampire flick
Entertaining, pulpy vampire movie. Sometimes it forces its "coolness" too much for its own good, but it's hard not to have a good time.
A really good movie. Great action and storyline. Snipes was born to play this role (and few others).
It's hard to believe that a movie that lasts a smidge over two hours would do so little in the way of character development.
Rated 18 Aug 2007
Fun action vampire flick. Bloody, but so over the top it is almost cartoonish.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Good
Rated 21 Aug 2007
It's not one of the greatest action movies ever but it's good fun. I've bumped this up simply because it was one fo the first films I played on my new surround sound system. The opening night club fight scene (with the remix of New Order's Confusion banging out) is in the top 10 Best Ever Starts to a film. Snipes was made for this type of role
Rated 29 Aug 2007
cool.
Rated 30 Aug 2007
Superb. Don't miss it.
Rated 14 Sep 2007
Starting the legend of Blade with Wesley Snipes vs. Stephen Dorff is awesome. Kris Kristofferson brings a lot to his role in the movie and the action sequences are great. Not a bad beginning.
Rated 16 Sep 2007
Silly but fun and stylish.
Rated 24 Sep 2007
I'm a sucker for a good vampire story (pardon the pun), this one had lots of good action scenes, plenty of gore and slaughter of the 'evil' vampires and was an all-around entertaining romp thought the underworld.
Rated 17 Oct 2007
actually pretty darn entertaining
Rated 18 Oct 2007
Based on a comic book-better if you are a fan but stands alone for non-comic book buffs.
Rated 18 Oct 2007
Snipes is Blade. I'm pretty sure he still thinks he is Blade. This is a B-movie with some cool parts, but Snipes takes himself WAY too seriously.
Rated 23 Oct 2007
GOOD ACTION MOVIE. 2 was better though.
Rated 08 Nov 2007
Watching it ten years after left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Feels more like a turkey than the awesome vampire flick it used to be.
Rated 21 Dec 2007
An entertaining movie
Rated 02 Jan 2008
I am a comic nerd in the minority that really thought this was pretty terrible. The first 15 minutes look great, then they start explaining things. Ugh.
Rated 20 Jan 2008
Good action, appealing hero, dopey plot.
Rated 27 Jan 2008
good film
Rated 05 Feb 2008
The best of the Blade series, with a cool soundtrack, and wesley Snipes not too shabby as the title character. Toe knee :-)
Rated 27 Feb 2008
ger; der daywalker blade will den tod seiner mutter rächen und muss dabei gegen eine vampirgang kämpfen
Rated 28 Feb 2008
nice action hero.
Rated 06 Mar 2008
good ****
Rated 13 May 2008
Wesley Snipes will kick your ass! j/k It was not bad, fairly good story.
Rated 15 May 2008
This was major fun back in the day.
Rated 16 May 2008
Consistent and unabashed in its characteristic frivolity.
Rated 28 May 2008
I like vamp flicks and this is a pretty good one.

Directed by: