Blazing Saddles

Blazing Saddles

1974
Western

Rated 24 Feb 2007
Arguably the funniest movie ever made. The casting in sheer perfection. Certainly not politically correct by any means but there is no malice in the racist humour here at all, it is indeed in jest. If you're OK with that then this movie is nothing short of side-splittingly hilarious.
Rated 15 Feb 2010
Maybe the movie aged badly or I did. Apart from a rather amusing finale, this wasn't really that special. I guess the stabs at racism were hilarious more than 30 years ago, but I've been spoiled by better spoofs and wittier jokes since.
Most movies don't hold up well after a dozen viewings, so if I didn't laugh out loud that much while watching this, that doesn't make it a bad comedy. On the contrary, it's wickedly funny and subversive, with unbelievably great performances all around. I really do believe that Richard Pryor would have been worse than Cleavon Little in this role. And some gags ("Where the white women at?") still elicit big belly laughs.
I can't say this is one of the best comedies I've seen, but yeah, it's funny. Of course, as far as spoof movies go it's a veritable masterpiece.
Rated 01 Jan 2007
Heeelarious, in close competition with The Producers for the best Mel Brooks movie. Vulgar and crass? Sure, but it's got some of the funniest racial comedy ever, and it's pretty clearly chastising racism at the same time. "Where the white women at?"
Rated 18 Nov 2019
A film that is oddly, both timeless and dated. On one hand, you can see Brooks and his 50's tv writing in full force: the whole film plays like a variety show based around one theme. But on the other hand, what he has to say about the ways that people allow prejudice in their heart, only to remove it when it is convenient, still rings true. It is fantastic at deconstructing Westerns--so much so that I wish he hadn't done the meta ending. Still, a great villain makes up for almost any complaints.
Rated 16 Oct 2016
Wondered if this would still be funny in todays all pervading "PC" environment, but the ability of Mel Brooks to turn the "racism" against the perpetrators is frankly brilliant and, considering this was 40 years ago, way ahead of his time. I think its "set piece" humour is spot on, like the sinking of the hand cart, but the plot itself is a little weak, and the ending loses it's way, but still one of the funnier films out there! Some of the lines will stay with you forever.
Rated 13 Dec 2009
It's refreshing watching this in an era of politically correct nonsense. Pretty hilarious at parts but didn't really become a movie I was enjoying until Wilder was introduced - I love that guy. Not my favorite Brooks film, but it's up there.
Rated 03 Dec 2017
A hoot - Mel Brooks at the height of his powers. Very funny, and very silly.
Rated 21 Apr 2009
Last 10 minutes ? downright hilarious, which feels like a cheap shot since the rest of "Blazing Saddles" looked better on paper than on film. I don't know what your definition of funny is, but the jokes didn't come off as natural, same goes for the acting, both grating and contrived (Wilder looked pretty bored). As a whole, it's nowhere near as appealing as "Young Frankenstein", still one of my favorite comedies out there. Not a bad film per se, but overrated as f%ck...
Rated 01 Dec 2013
I don't know if this is outdated, or whether I need to watch more Western films to get in the groove of this one, but this is a pretty unfunny, weightless comedy. There were a few laughs here and there, but I probably laughed and chuckled a total of 20 seconds in this 90 minute film, and that's no good. A lot of the humour is very childish and sometimes very poorly executed, and the political humour doesn't strike me as being clever either.
Rated 05 Nov 2014
Could have used more racial humor but that's just me.
Rated 20 Nov 2018
Pretty funny and the social commentary, although dated in some respects, is still quite relevant. But it has its flaws. Wilder's character is glaringly underdeveloped and the meta bit towards the end is far too excessive.
The whole point of the film was to be as politically incorrect as possible, and it was brilliant. It's hilarious and among Mel Brooks' best. Gene Wilder is terrific as the faded Waco Kid. The laughs rarely let up, as Blazing Saddles is one of the most ridiculous comedies out there. Really good!
Rated 23 Sep 2010
It may be dated but I feel that is in the best interest of it's comedy. It would never be made today. Wilder is great but Little shines.
Rated 19 Jan 2013
Painfully unfunny..
Rated 17 May 2008
It's a shame that Mel Brooks hadn't done something like fifty movies over the years, but the ones he did do, are almost always awesome. Every Brooks/Wilder movie is a classic, and should be regarded as so.
Rated 16 Apr 2008
What hell of a funny movie. I found the first half hour to be absolutely hilarious but for some reason, I didn't appreciate the rest of it to the same extent. Nonetheless Blazing Saddles is a hilarious film, filled with so much prejudice, and politically incorrect scenes, that it would make anybody laugh.
Rated 30 Aug 2016
+2 points for the fact that despite being one of the most overplayed lines in history, "Where the white women at?" still made me howl with laughter in context.
Rated 18 Mar 2020
There is a small scene where a guy is getting dragged by a horse through the mud, and he says something, "well, that is the end for this suit". That was the funniest moment of this film to me.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
Good in all the ways a Richard Pryor or Dave Chappelle concert are. That is to say, it was great. A well deserved middle finger aimed at the heart of American racism, delivered with a sly smile and a fart joke or three.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Love it, though some of the humor is a little too juvenile for my tastes.
Rated 20 Nov 2016
Mel Brooks' classic Blazing Saddles is a daringly funny tribute to the Old West that plays out in near-perfect fashion.
Rated 09 Aug 2008
Blazing Saddles is one of the funniest, outrageous, vulgar and downright hilarious western parodies in this world. Containing racially-backed sense of humor combined with its politically incorrect outline makes this nearly unbeatable in the world of cinema, and its definetly among Mel Brook's best. Relevant, witty, dirty and almost entirely innapropiate, Blazing Saddles is a gigantic blockbuster 70s hit which needs to be watched at least once by movie buffs. "Where the white woman at?".
Rated 28 Feb 2007
As with many Mel Brooks comedies, Blazing Saddles is way too vulgar for my tastes. There are several laughs and there is undeniably a charming je ne sais quois, a classic feel to it, but all in all it's a very mildly enjoyable, not so intelligent comedy.
A masterpiece filled with brilliant comedians doing what they do best: making us laugh uncontrolably.
Rated 16 Mar 2008
Little bastard ... SHOT ME RIGHT IN THE ASS
Rated 20 Nov 2016
Biased (higher) score because of Richard Pryor :-)
Rated 17 Aug 2020
Obvious classic and flawless American film written by Richard Pryor
This is one of the best Mel Brooks films, ever! You must see this film. Cleavon Little is incredible. "Mongo" rocks! Not for the easily offended, but neither is life. One of my all time favorite films.
Really funny movie, uncredited writing by the great Richard Prior, who supposedly wanted to play Mongo in the film!
Rated 08 Mar 2007
Another solid performance by Gene Wilder in a terrible movie. Mel Brooks sucks.
Rated 25 Jun 2011
Very funny, with the climactic fight being the best part. Must have been very daring in its day.
Rated 11 Apr 2011
You can't properly understand comedy until you see this movie.
Rated 11 Feb 2008
classic
Rated 17 May 2008
But we won't take the Irish! Gene Wilder is outstanding in this classic.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Most studios would probably be afraid to make this movie today.
Rated 02 Jan 2017
It got off to a great start but the quality dipped a lot as it went on, becoming significantly less funny with more jokes that flop. However, I did really enjoy how it wrapped up, so it's just a shame that it is kind of middling for a while.
Rated 30 Aug 2019
Thoroughly enjoyed myself.
Rated 09 Jun 2019
There are so many funny scenes that you just go with the flow and forget the few that fall flat.
Rated 22 Dec 2009
A very funny film.
Where are the white women at? I nearly spit whatever I was drinking all over the television screen the first time I heard that line. It's interesting to think of Richard Pryor in the Sheriff Bart role, as had been originally intended. If you're bored, search the internet to find out what the one line was that Mel Brooks had to take out of the film...it's worth it! We'll take the niggers and the chinks, but we don't want the Irish!
Rated 01 Mar 2007
One of the best comedies ever made. Everybody should see this at one point. It has aged surprisingly well, too.
Rated 03 Aug 2016
Not quite as good as I remember and they better be thanking the high heavens that they got Pryor on board to help write this. Still love the ending of this
Rated 17 Jan 2013
Brilliant mix of silly gags and sharp satire on the Western genre. While not as much of a loving homage as Young Frankenstein, the film uses a largely similar cast in a completely different way and creates a consistent tone, from silly slapstick to biting one-liners and everything in between. Features one of the greatest endings to a comedy which resolves the plot while also maintaining the humour, tone, and themes of the film. Excellent stuff, funny on the first or nth viewing.
Rated 03 Dec 2006
Little to no plot development still lets this parody go far. Top points for having a horse punched and hung, an old woman beaten up, and a cabaret with a less-than-cabaret performance
Rated 18 Feb 2012
It's impressive that a comedy this old could feel almost more offensive by today's standards. And it's still one of the funniest movies ever made. "Where the white women at?!"
Rated 07 Apr 2017
No comedy has aged better than this. It's so clever, yet incredibly silly, and it's the best Mel Brooks film BY FAR, in my opinion
Rated 22 Apr 2015
All the racism lampooning is very refreshing to see today, but other than that it's a pretty unremarkable affair. Gene Wilder ups the charisma level a lot but the movie doesn't do much with it.
Rated 05 Dec 2021
There are quite a few gags that just don't work (like all Mel Brooks movies given the tempo/broadness of his humor) but there are far more hilarious moments
"S'cuse me while I whip this out", Mel Brooks and a western add up to total hilarity in this movie.
Rated 02 Sep 2008
I love this film. One of the highest rewatch values you'll ever find, and that's including the racial expletives that abound. Harvey Korman is genius. And, this is probably the best satire film ever slapped on a celluloid.
Rated 11 Jul 2015
This movie will always be a great laugh.
Rated 11 Apr 2009
Santa Maria! ..and Methodists!
Rated 21 Feb 2012
Easily my favorite Brooks film. Because of its irriverence and uanpologetic crudeness it is the one that has aged the best.
Rated 30 Aug 2019
I'm not sure how well it has aged, but regardless it's actually way ahead of its time and Mel Brooks' best comedy. Incidentally, Mel Brooks also has the best performances in the film.
Rated 22 Oct 2008
Quite funny, but a little too absurd at times for me. Great satires though. The ending was probably the best part of the movie for me.
If you've ever encountered full on racism, then this movie is all the funnier.
Rated 01 Jun 2008
I've heard all the lines before watching this film, and when I finally did watch it, the movie didn't make me laugh.
Rated 29 Jun 2011
Mel Brooks at the top of his game, this hilarious comedy still stands the test of time for the most part.
Rated 10 May 2008
This is a decently funny movie, but not a terrifically funny movie. Honestly, I just don't see why Mel Brooks gets the respect he does.
Rated 30 Sep 2018
Being a fan of the western film genre, Blazing Saddles hits all the right parody tones, even if the ending does (purposefully) fall completely off the rails.
Rated 26 Oct 2008
Yeah, it's a really funny movie.
Rated 26 Oct 2008
Excellent comedy
Rated 23 Jun 2022
A decent little number from Mel Brooks, though the humour was more miss than hit for me. I found the first half considerably more entertaining - even more so than the crazy meta climax. I guess I'll never see anything quite as genius from Brooky as The Producers
Rated 28 Jun 2022
a good movie but I just can't laugh at Mel Brooks. Woody Allen either.
Rated 22 Apr 2011
Not really all that funny nowadays.
Rated 10 Jun 2012
It has an okay cast and some clever moments, but most if it just isn't very intelligent or funny.
Easily my favorite Wilder/Brooks collaboration.
Rated 23 Apr 2020
One of the most hilarious comedies of all time, and if you do not agree you are a provincial putz.
Rated 14 May 2008
Very funny, I love Gene Wilder after I really started to watch his movies.
Rated 05 Jan 2021
Máy phát ?i?n Vi?t Hung chuyên cung c?p các lo?i máy phát ?i?n công nghi?p, máy phát ?i?n 3 pha, 1 pha. Cung c?p s?n ph?m chính hãng nh?: máy phát ?i?n CUMMINS, KOFO, MITSUBISHI, DENYO… ?C: Tr? s?: S? 428 Hoàng Công Ch?t, Ph??ng Phú Di?n, Qu?n B?c T? Liêm, Thành ph? Hà N?iVPGD: 99/70 Nguy?n Hoàng, ph??ng M? ?ình, qu?n Nam T? Liêm, TP Hà N?i .?T: 0826.567.609 ho?c 0964.103.222 Web: https://mayphatdienviet
Rated 14 Apr 2009
Awful
Rated 02 Aug 2020
Perhaps it's just me, but I did not find this film at all funny (apart from a few moments). Brooks is trying too hard, it's so forced.
Rated 01 Jun 2009
Comedy done the right way. At times, you don't know whether to scowl or burst out laughing...in that way, this film challenges society and ultimately you realize how stupid all of our perceived "differences" are. My favorite by Brooks.
Rated 26 Aug 2008
Funny as ever.
Rated 16 Mar 2022
Blazing Saddles is the epitome of 70's comedy. It pushes the boundaries. It talks about race to people who are uncomfortable talking about race and does that with style and class. Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder play off each other perfectly. It's nice that Little got the opportunity to show off his singing chops at the start of the show because if it wouldn't have been for that scene many of us wouldn't have know why he's so great. Korman and Kahn support the show and sometimes steal it.
Rated 16 Mar 2012
Ending a bit odd, still enjoyed it.
Rated 09 Jan 2015
This is the comedy that made everything else possible. Nowadays it feels like this could have been expanded on a bit, but what's here is pure comedy gold. Its worth watching just for the ending alone.
Rated 12 Dec 2011
ha
Rated 18 Jan 2013
Decent Mel Brooks
It's not profound, but it's a hell of a lot of fun.
Rated 27 Jun 2011
Gotta love a movie where Looney Tunes humor prevails.
Rated 23 Jul 2009
Seen better comedies, but it still remains a classic. Some of the scenes are ingenious.
Rated 13 Jun 2007
Not one of the best Mel Brooks films out there, but I like the cut of this guy's jib.
Rated 26 Mar 2008
Funny Western spoof that gets away with a ton of racial humor that would never fly in a movie today. Fred Williamson almost certainly picked up a few ideas from Blazing Saddles for his 1975 film "Boss Nigger".
Rated 30 Oct 2007
What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on around here?
Rated 30 May 2011
Almost wanna score it lower since to me it seems absurdly overrated - but yeah it's pretty funny. 45 minutes worth of slightly-amusing-to-hilarious and very mixed bag for the rest of the runtime. That said, could be a mood thing, doubtful that I'll watch it again but maybe it'll go over better whenever that time comes.
Rated 20 Jan 2015
An overly broad satire that seems to have crammed every crude gag it can think of into 90 unfunny minutes.
Rated 08 Sep 2008
Brilliantly funny attack on US racial politics - and its got fart jokes ! Mel Brooks' funniest film. Harvey Korman is great and there's plently here for adolescents of all ages.
Rated 11 Jul 2015
I don't know what it was but this never hit its full potential for me. I feel like this is something I should have loved and I did enjoy the acting and the self-referential humor, but a lot of the jokes and gags felt dated and fell flat on me, and I honestly felt like I was missing something the whole movie. It was good, but I was expecting more.
Rated 16 Sep 2015
The score would be better in 1972 probably. Classic Mel though.
Rated 06 Jun 2013
Genius parody, and still hilarious almost 40 years later.
Rated 22 Feb 2011
I grew tired of it around the 50-minute mark, but there are definitely some belly-laughs to be had here.
Rated 19 Feb 2012
A few hilarious scenes aside, "Blazing Saddles" mostly moves in simply amusing territory. The cast is good, the characters memorable and the premise engaging, but what this film should probably be best remembered for is the direct way it deals with racism.
Rated 29 Dec 2007
I wasn't terribly impressed for something I'd heard was like "THE BEST EVER". The old lady yelling the N word is classic, though.
Rated 09 Aug 2008
Occasional laughs but shouldn't interest you much by the time you graduate from high school.
Rated 01 Mar 2008
A funny movie
Rated 16 Feb 2009
Very classic comedy.
Rated 06 Feb 2008
Sounds like I have to see again all Mel Brooks flicks. To review this one I realized how SLOW it was. Some good jokes (fisting the horse and part of the Lili Marlene parody for instance) and more or less funny ending were nice, otherwise pretty boring.